Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 01:12 PM

405 posts, read 1,279,446 times

Advertisements

There seems to be more & more outfits paying their CDL drivers by 1099 in the Bakken.
I'm not quite sure how an employee driving a company truck can be classified as a
1099 independent contractor (or IC).
Recent IRS rulings consider an IC to be an owner/operator of their own equipment
and a W-2 driver to be an employee if they drive a company truck on a set schedule.
An IC usually gets to set their own hours and work as much as they want.
A W-2 driver (or company man) works a pre set schedule or rotation and drives a company rig.
Yet I'm seeing more & more outfits classify company drivers as an IC.

A word of warning about this.
There seems to be a significant increase of people getting stiffed on their pay.
Particularly CDL drivers.
If you have trouble getting paid the labor office will NOT help you recover your wages
if you are a 1099 IC....only if you are a W-2 employee will they assist you to that end.
If you are a 1099 IC - and you get stiffed - the labor office will tell you to get a lawyer
and go to small claims court to file suit...a major hastle for you.
Likewise if you are paid by a % of the work you do.
If you are an hourly W-2 employee the labor office will take care of recovering lost wages.

I'm not telling anyone to avoid companies that follow this practice.
Just make sure you do your homework on any outfit that does.
Talk to current or past employees (in person or online) and find out if they
pay their people on time and in full.
I hate to see people bust their buns and get stiffed on their pay.
Be safe out there...

Last edited by GM1258; 02-25-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2014, 03:35 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM1258 View Post
... A word of warning about this. ...
That was a really good post. You must be in a good mood.

I'd like to add that when calculating how much you are "really" getting, if they tell you that you will make $100k, figure that to "really" be $75k. It's possible that it might really only be $50k - depending on the details.

Treat it like a temp job.

It can work just fine for some people. It's possible to just work 6-8 months out of the year regularly if that's what you want. Spend your summer hiking the Great Divide Trail or something ...

Old 02-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
That was a really good post. You must be in a good mood.

I'd like to add that when calculating how much you are "really" getting, if they tell you that you will make $100k, figure that to "really" be $75k. It's possible that it might really only be $50k - depending on the details.
Treat it like a temp job.
It can work just fine for some people. It's possible to just work 6-8 months out of the year regularly if that's what you want. Spend your summer hiking the Great Divide Trail or something ...

Actually I was in a bad mood when I wrote that.
I'm was thinking about going back up for this season but the guy I worked for is
calling it quits and I have no bites from anyone else as yet.
I don't like the idea of going up there empty handed with no job lined up,
no place to stay, no interviews lined up, etc.
You can't just blow into town and expect to get hired by a half decent outfit overnight.
That's a sure recipe for failure.
You need to have a gig lined up BEFORE you arrive or yer spinning yer wheels.
And this biz about hiring as an 1099 to drive a company truck sounds a bit shady IMO.

Last edited by GM1258; 02-26-2014 at 05:25 PM..

Old 02-26-2014, 07:11 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Quote:
Likewise if you are paid by a % of the work you do.
Just as an FYI, percentage of the load/work is typical and perfectly acceptable. But it should still be on a W2, not a 1099 That should raise red-flags because unless they own their own truck, there's no way a driver should be on a 1099.
(They do it so they don't have to go through the hassle of paying the employer half of FICA/payroll taxes, btw)

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
(They do it so they don't have to go through the hassle of paying the employer half of FICA/payroll taxes, btw)
And no workman's comp, no unemployment insurance, no health insurance, no overtime pay, no vacation pay, no holiday pay, etc., etc. Oh, and if "they" go belly-up, you're at the end of the line for collecting your pay too. Employees get paid first, iirc. I can't imagine driving a company truck and not being an employee. Sounds odd.

Old 02-26-2014, 09:17 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,233,521 times
Precisely.
We once had a ranch employer who insisted on paying via 1099. We were young and foolish and didn't realize what it meant, at first.

We reported him to the IRS. They really don't like employers who mis-categorize employees.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I can't imagine driving a company truck and not being an employee.
You need to embrace your inner child and get a better imagination.

As long as the premium in compensation is large enough, you can buy your own health insurance, pay the SE tax, etc. Unemployment insurance is qualitative, but I'd waive it for 5% more pay.

Now, change the word "imagine" to "believe" and you probably have something.

I don't believe that there is a cheapskate trucking company that's paying enough of a premium to make up for all the lost benefits of being a W-2 employee.

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to business taxes and regulations, but I'm pretty left-wing when it comes to allowing companies to classify W-2 employees as contractors.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:25 PM

155 posts, read 421,196 times
Something To Consider When You Go Looking For North Dakota Oil Jobs - Bakken Oil Careers

Old 04-01-2014, 09:48 PM

The only way I'd remotely consider being a 1099 IC is if they paid me in cash and I got to set my own hours, days. etc.
And the first time I get stiffed?? -- bye, bye in two seconds.
I hate to see the air lines on all their trucks get tangled up somehow.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
And no workman's comp, no unemployment insurance, no health insurance, no overtime pay, no vacation pay, no holiday pay, etc., etc. Oh, and if "they" go belly-up, you're at the end of the line for collecting your pay too. Employees get paid first, iirc. I can't imagine driving a company truck and not being an employee. Sounds odd.

There is no overtime if you work by % of the load either...whether yer W-2 or 1099.
I've never heard of anyone (ND or elsewhere) that offers a 'higher % after 40'.
At % it all boils down to straight time...good for them - not for you.
And with no help from the labor office if you get stiffed it's best to get paid by the hour.
Not a % or by the load - by the hour!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston