Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 01:07 PM

111 posts, read 188,920 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to the job prospects for a person straight out of school with a CDL, no experience. I heard you have to apply in person to have a chance in securing employment. I tried to email and phone some companies in North Dakota, but they are not replying.

I have an engineering degree, and have applied for positions, but this degree has not proved to be of any use in gaining employment. It is unfortunate, but I may have wasted my time in going to college.

I have been thinking of trucking school, are the companies hiring at this time , entry level? I hear there is a campaign, 20,000 jobs , but sometimes this can be just marketing, there are prob more applicants than there are jobs. They can throw out some number, and people may choose to believe it or not.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-03-2014 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
You sure the oil companies dont have a need for engineering grads? What kind of engineering did you do?

Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 PM

65 posts, read 117,396 times
There is still ample demand for commercial drivers with good record. Heck, just one of many examples, Halliburton hired a bunch a future drivers out of Spokane, WA put them in the camp, had them obtain their commercial permits then sent them to trucking school in Dickinson. The best time to visit the area is during one of the job fairs when you can visit with dozens of companies in one day. Don't feel too bad about the college degree not working out as intended. I was not able to secure employment in my degree field after a pink slip but the degree did give me a leg up on other candidates for my new position.

Old 04-04-2014, 12:21 AM

111 posts, read 188,920 times
I am a holder of a bachelors degree in civil engineering and there is a glut of these degrees on the job market. I have applied to the few entry level positions on the job boards, but even with the low unemployment in North Dakota, I have not been successful.

Most positions require years of experience and skills in specific software. I naively chose this STEM degree, based on the false premise that many educators, politicians and employers are so vocal about - Many of them say there is a shortage of these degrees or people educated in them. This is unfortunately very false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston