Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2015, 12:20 AM

11 posts, read 17,659 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone could shed light on what companies are paying for Top Level HD Mechanics wither it be onroad or offroad work. Considering updating my resume to apply, but want to have a better understanding of pay ranges. I see most are including camp and per diem, but I'm looking for $40 or more.

Any suggestions of perfered employers for mechanic work?

Thanks

Charliewayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2015, 03:43 PM

517 posts, read 1,051,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewayne View Post
Wondering if anyone could shed light on what companies are paying for Top Level HD Mechanics wither it be onroad or offroad work. Considering updating my resume to apply, but want to have a better understanding of pay ranges. I see most are including camp and per diem, but I'm looking for $40 or more.

Any suggestions of perfered employers for mechanic work?

Thanks

Charliewayne
I would not come here at this time.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:32 PM

Thanks for your feed back. Right now I've got a pretty healthy job and am in no rush to drop my notice. More my intent is to just scout for possibilities in other oil field regons.

Sounds like your there as we write. Any suggestions for mechanic work and who the perfered employers might be?

Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 09:30 AM

517 posts, read 1,051,632 times
Quote:
Thanks for your feed back. Right now I've got a pretty healthy job and am in no rush to drop my notice. More my intent is to just scout for possibilities in other oil field regons.

Sounds like your there as we write. Any suggestions for mechanic work and who the perfered employers might be?

Thanks
Charlie,

I am in Fargo, not the western part where the big money is. Fargo has a much lower wage and cost structure. While I love Fargo and North Dakota, and I believe it has a very bright future long term, there are some short term excesses that will be wrung out in the next 12 month. This will not be pleasant.

If you will wait, about a year, you will find jobs much harder to come by and housing ,much easier to find. However, when you do get the job, rather than being in the downsizing phase, it will be back up on the upswing.

If you come now, you will be trapped by high costs and declining income.

Old 01-10-2015, 02:19 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
I am an HD mechanic that works in the oil fields. Wages depend heavily based on if do field work or shop work. I do a little bit of both. The lowest mechanic wage I have seen is $21 and the highest is $39 an hour. Keep in mind that this wage is with full housing, food, per diem, travel reimbursement and tool allowance.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:35 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,369 times
Quote:

Thanks
Check jobsND.com

There's a lot of jobs for millrights and mechanics that aren't directly in the patch. OneOK is building several nat gas plants and they will need people for years. Jamestown will have a new $2 bill fertilizer plant to construct. Same with Grand Forks. New diesel plants are going in Stanley, Berthold, and Devils Lake, probably starting this spring or summer. If the new cracker plant if officially announced, that will be the biggest ND project ever. There's a shortage of mechanics all over the state, because most of them have been lured to the oil patch.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:59 PM

Great info from both of you and thanks for that.

Myself, I'm a dealer tech with all the training and what have ya. Looking for the upper jobs in the $30s and I see many job posting where employers are requesting such training and certs. I know the tension with oil prices as we just had a OT and hiring freeze happen at my location. I'm secure with my job today but more looking for 3-5 month start date if the work there pays more than where I am now. Rotation, camp, and everything Von talked about is what I'm looking for.

What "type" of companies are paying the better rates? What I'm trying to ask is if it'd best to work for a local dealership, direct hire with oil company, a service company (drillers), rental companies, trucking outfit, etc.....

Thanks

Charlie

Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 AM

@ fourwinds.

Great lead and I forgot about checking the states job bank. I've seen many other adds in various online job banks but most all adds are so vague. See lots of wording such as "at least 1 yr experience" and to many jibs are listed as DOE, which makes me either curious about hiring standards or even what they might offer for pay.

Old 01-25-2015, 05:52 PM

I've been watching the job posting for mechanics and with oil under $50 there still steady listing them.

Hard to tell what companies are offering a rotation with camp. This week my resume will be updated and the fishing will start.

I'm fully employed right now with good job security, so the need to accept a lesser job is not required.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
I am an HD mechanic that works in the oil fields. Wages depend heavily based on if do field work or shop work. I do a little bit of both. The lowest mechanic wage I have seen is $21 and the highest is $39 an hour. Keep in mind that this wage is with full housing, food, per diem, travel reimbursement and tool allowance.
Hey Von949;

Could use some more guidance on which are the perfered "type" of companies. I've been dropping resumes on almost every positing posted, and am still not secure with knowing what area/type of employer should be in my focus.

What I dread is not finding the right job the first time and job hoping after I get there.

Any further help you can offer?

Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston