Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 11:26 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,213 times

Advertisements

Looks like Williams County District 8 has voted down a new school proposal, which would have cost almost $50 million. Looks like the voters prefer sending their kids to Williston HS and older rural elementary schools.

Williams County Residents Vote Against District 8 Referendum

Something has to give soon. A merger of districts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 02:58 PM

708 posts, read 721,638 times
It was understandable. One of the things that people do not understand about District 8 new school proposal was that it was mostly promoted by parents that live in District 1 but want to send their kids to District 8. Why? Because District 8 picks their kids up at their house on a school bus. So many of the people for the new school could not vote because they live in District 1. Why should all the people living in District 8 pay for District 1 school kids? It was a no brainer. Merge the two school District's instead of fighting each other. It is time. Williston will have a new state of the art high school for all the kids, District 1 and 8. District 8 residents will never approve $50 million to build another High School. Someone's dream.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
It was understandable. One of the things that people do not understand about District 8 new school proposal was that it was mostly promoted by parents that live in District 1 but want to send their kids to District 8. Why? Because District 8 picks their kids up at their house on a school bus. So many of the people for the new school could not vote because they live in District 1. Why should all the people living in District 8 pay for District 1 school kids? It was a no brainer. Merge the two school District's instead of fighting each other. It is time. Williston will have a new state of the art high school for all the kids, District 1 and 8. District 8 residents will never approve $50 million to build another High School. Someone's dream.
The $50 M was for a new HS and grade schools.

Eventually, District 8 will have to pay for new grade schools anyway. And they have to pay District 1 to educate their HS kids, as they don't have facilities for a HS anyway. If they merge, District 8 will lose any influence on the larger District 1. Williston will likely be forced to build another HS eventually anyway. All this for $147 / year for an average house. Thought District 8 could afford it because they will have to pay at least that amount eventually.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:51 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Whoa... this has not been my experience at all. I live in a District 8 neighborhood and honestly all of my neighbors HATE it. They hate the bus system. It doesn't pick them up from their houses but in fact picks them up at a location you have to drive your kid to each morning. The kids spend over an hour each morning and afternoon riding to and from school because they recently moved them all out to Round Prairie. Let's not forget the massive issues with the former superintendent and now they've got a new one that no one has formed much of an opinion yet. Many of my neighbors desperately want their kids in District 1 schools and several were, however they were kicked out at the end of the year last year because District 8 made a fuss about District 1 grandfathering kids into the schools. Only a handful of kids in our neighborhood still go to District 1 and that's only because they have a parent that works for that school district.

As it sits right now ALL kids in Williston will go to the new high school as there is no high school in District 8. District 8 only goes up to grade 8.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
Whoa... this has not been my experience at all. I live in a District 8 neighborhood and honestly all of my neighbors HATE it. They hate the bus system. It doesn't pick them up from their houses but in fact picks them up at a location you have to drive your kid to each morning. The kids spend over an hour each morning and afternoon riding to and from school because they recently moved them all out to Round Prairie. Let's not forget the massive issues with the former superintendent and now they've got a new one that no one has formed much of an opinion yet. Many of my neighbors desperately want their kids in District 1 schools and several were, however they were kicked out at the end of the year last year because District 8 made a fuss about District 1 grandfathering kids into the schools. Only a handful of kids in our neighborhood still go to District 1 and that's only because they have a parent that works for that school district.

As it sits right now ALL kids in Williston will go to the new high school as there is no high school in District 8. District 8 only goes up to grade 8.

Thanks for the clarification. I was told different but it was a while ago. I just wish that District 1 and 8 would merge. Seems to make so much more sense to me.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:53 PM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Will Williston District 8 have a choice? I might be wrong, but I thought funding for rural districts could come to an end for districts that only offer k-8? If a district doesn't go k-12, isn't there some major funding cuts from the feds? I am thinking this is why some of the rural schools around the Minot area are adding highschools to their rural schools? I agree, they could just as well merge district 1 and district 8 into one district. Counties much larger than Williams county in places like Wyoming, have their districts set up as one for the entire county. Campbell county (Gillette) Wyoming, has a high school in Gillette and Wright and Grade schools in the areas of the county as needed, but are run by ONE school district with ONE superintendent, etc... think how much money the tax payers could save. The size of Campbell county (area wise) is nearly twice the size of Williams county. The population is similar with Williams counties current population. I'm not suggesting taking away Trenton, Ray or Tioga's school districts, I'm just suggesting it works for other counties in ND and other states to have one district with schools scattered around as needed for the areas. The Williston area certainly doesn't need 3 school districts within a 10 mile radius (Trenton, District 8 and District 1). I think it is silly when at one time families living in Town & Country estates west of town, were bussed through Williston to Stoney Creek to go to school. Then the parents would drive to their jobs in Williston. Stoney creek is basically in Williston. My relatives were able to get their kids into District 1, otherwise would have had to be bussed clear out to Garden Valley, when they lived on the edge of Williston. Back then, it was an option...today, not so much.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:38 PM

DIALOGUES: SPECIAL MEETING IS MONDAY AT 6:30 - Business - Williston Daily Herald

District 8 homeowners would have to pay 16% of the schools cost, according to this article. With Williston's growth, a combined District would likely see two high schools anyway within a few years. There's some wisdom in having schools as local as possible.

Campbell County may split into two high schools, as its getting so big.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:43 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourwinds View Post
DIALOGUES: SPECIAL MEETING IS MONDAY AT 6:30 - Business - Williston Daily Herald

District 8 homeowners would have to pay 16% of the schools cost, according to this article. With Williston's growth, a combined District would likely see two high schools anyway within a few years. There's some wisdom in having schools as local as possible.

Campbell County may split into two high schools, as its getting so big.
Actually, they have 2 high schools in Gillette, but the same school name, mascot, etc.. they have a north and south campus. But the locals are not ready to have 2 separate high schools as far as "competing" against each other. Wright is the 2nd high school in Campbell county, WY. I was told by some residents of Gillette, that they want to continue with one huge high school so they can keep their stronghold in sports and academics. But I agree, there will come a time when they might have to become 2 separate high schools. But I guess it works for them by having 1 large high school, but on 2 different campuses.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 AM

It makes total sense to do what Wyoming does as far as having one district for the county but I doubt people would ever vote for it. They think they would lose their identity. Teacher shortages might start dictating consolidation. North Dakota teacher shortage is getting acute.

Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,001 times
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I was told different but it was a while ago. I just wish that District 1 and 8 would merge. Seems to make so much more sense to me.
I do too, I honestly don't understand why District 8 has a school that's pretty much in Montana either or why they thought it was a good idea to place the majority of their students in that school. I know some people are very against them combining but honestly it would make things easier for parents at least to just have ONE school district. There are several spots where a District 1 school is clearly visible to a subdivision but that subdivision is in District 8. The biggest example of this I can think of is on 26th St W, where one side of the street is District 8 and the other is District 1. There are homes that are in plain sight of Hagan but the kids go to Round Prairie. It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston