Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 01:29 PM

2 posts, read 2,793 times

Advertisements

I hate to say I told you so but I told you so. Booms always bust. Nothing lasts forever, not even the strip clubs. Anybody want to buy a house in Watford City?
Your pal,
Ursa21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 01:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digit23 View Post
I hate to say I told you so ...
You did? cite?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digit23 View Post
... but I told you so. Booms always bust. Nothing lasts forever, not even the strip clubs. Anybody want to buy a house in Watford City?
Your pal,
Ursa21
gloat much?
..................................... Gotta point? ... No, I guess.

ND daily oil production - Mar, 2016 1,109,000 bbl/day
ND daily oil production - Mar, 2015 1,191,000 bbl/day
ND daily oil production - Mar, 2014... 977,000 bbl/day
ND daily oil production - Mar, 2010... 278,000 bbl/day

It looks like ND production has hit its stride and things are stabilizing. There are still tens of thousands of petroleum jobs in the Bakken that aren't going anywhere. These are the best jobs.

ND is the center of the oil industry technology-wise. Companies that were supposed to go belly-up have figured out how to do things more efficiently - which also means - with less people. Prices that are crushing Saudi Arabia were supposed to clean this area out.

People that genuinely want to stay here can now afford rent or a house.

Driving and shopping in Williston is no longer a miserable experience.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:58 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,142,570 times
The flattening of North Dakota’s economy could still be in its infancy. The true scope of the downturn in the western part of the state may not be known for another six months. A large hotel operator recently told me that the current occupancy rates don’t even pay for the overhead anymore. There’s way too much new construction that is now underutilized. I would not be surprised if a few high profile properties go belly up.

Is Williston or Dickinson going to dry up and blow away? I don't think so, but if you're thinking about rushing in to play real estate flipper you could get burned this early in the game.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
I was just recently thinking about how things were going in Williston. I worked there on a six month contract in 2014-15 for Halliburton. Everyone that I was close to went overseas to work in Saudi Arabia or to work Offshore drilling. I'm sure another boom is just around the corner.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:37 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
The flattening of North Dakota’s economy could still be in its infancy. The true scope of the downturn in the western part of the state may not be known for another six months. A large hotel operator recently told me that the current occupancy rates don’t even pay for the overhead anymore. There’s way too much new construction that is now underutilized. I would not be surprised if a few high profile properties go belly up.
Are you talking about hotels in Fargo or hotels in the oil patch areas? It seems like hoteliers can't build new hotels fast enough in Fargo.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
Are you talking about hotels in Fargo or hotels in the oil patch areas? It seems like hoteliers can't build new hotels fast enough in Fargo.
Out west. I've always been impressed with how fast Fargo is growing.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:42 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,360,674 times
It was much worse several months ago compared to now. The number of open jobs is increasing and things are stabilizing. I find it odd that now that things have started to look up you're saying it's a bust. I think you'd have a stronger case five months ago.

Old 05-30-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:

Is Williston or Dickinson going to dry up and blow away? I don't think so, but if you're thinking about rushing in to play real estate flipper you could get burned this early in the game.
If they didn't pay their hotels off during the boom then they were incredibly unwise. My husband and I were here when a lot of these hotels went up and I know at least two of the new ones were completely paid for within 2 years. If they were smart then they should be fine now.

Old 05-30-2016, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
If they didn't pay their hotels off during the boom then they were incredibly unwise. My husband and I were here when a lot of these hotels went up and I know at least two of the new ones were completely paid for within 2 years. If they were smart then they should be fine now.
I'm sure some of them paid off properties, but what do you do when the occupancy rate is not even covering the overhead? Keeping running at a loss?

Old 05-30-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I'm sure some of them paid off properties, but what do you do when the occupancy rate is not even covering the overhead? Keeping running at a loss?
When they were bringing in as much as they did for so long if they can't handle operating at a loss for a year or two that shows poor financial planning on their end. However the ones with empty lots are the places that are complete dumps. Now that rates are down if you can pick between an older place that smells and hasn't been updated for 30 years or a place that's a few years old... You'll pick the newer place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston