Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 08:58 PM

2 posts, read 4,712 times

Advertisements

I'm an AA women from Philadelphia. I accepted a 3 month job assignment in Williston but I'm a little skeptical about whether or not I will be racially accepted. I'm also wondering are there any hair salons that specialize in natural AA hair! I just hope that I'm over thinking things and I'll fit right in. I'm 32 and I've never been away from Philadelphia for such an extended amount of time. Someone please help???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 01:58 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,488 times
I'm going to post a link to:

Do black people get along ok in Williston? Or is there a race problem? Are there even many black people there at all? (Fargo: home, school)

here:
//www.city-data.com/forum/willi...-along-ok.html

There are 38 posts there. After reading it, ask questions and people will be happy to answer you.

Different city, but same question with relevant answers:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/2134456-young-black-female-moving-minot-nd.html

My way of thinking is that someone who goes into a culture that is different from theirs and shows respect for it gains respect back. I've done it and had it done back to me. -- It's why everyone is Irish for a Saint Patrick's Day parade.

I've also found that you can't get away from friggin bigots. They are cowards though. Call them on it and they fold. The vast majority of people here are just like the people in your current environment. There are lots of people here from somewhere else. That feature alone will bond you to people - no matter what their race or whatever.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:03 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillygirl7 View Post
I'm an AA women from Philadelphia. I accepted a 3 month job assignment in Williston but I'm a little skeptical about whether or not I will be racially accepted. I'm also wondering are there any hair salons that specialize in natural AA hair! I just hope that I'm over thinking things and I'll fit right in. I'm 32 and I've never been away from Philadelphia for such an extended amount of time. Someone please help???
Not sure abou the salon situation, but you'll be fine otherwise.

Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 AM

65 posts, read 117,396 times
Williston might be the most diverse city in the state now. Locals are no stranger to minorities these days. If you don't have Idaho license plates you will be accepted.

Old 09-13-2016, 01:23 PM

3,338 posts, read 6,899,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
Williston might be the most diverse city in the state now. Locals are no stranger to minorities these days. If you don't have Idaho license plates you will be accepted.
Really? You live in North Dakota....get over yourself.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,712 times
Thanks everyone. Most comments seemed positive and make me comfortable enough in believing that I'll be just fine!

Old 09-16-2016, 06:04 PM

64 posts, read 164,745 times
ND is very racist and lacks a black population. You probably won't be accepted tbh.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:25 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,002,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob Town Mane View Post
ND is very racist and lacks a black population. You probably won't be accepted tbh.
And there is an educated opinion

Old 09-17-2016, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob Town Mane View Post
I take it you haven been to Minot lately...

Old 09-17-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f2tornado View Post
What's wrong with Idaho plates?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston