Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2021, 06:01 PM

26 posts, read 21,068 times

Advertisements

So glad I found this forum. It's just what I need to feel the pulse of the town and get to know some of the people.
Our move is still in the planning stages but we hope you will welcome us by next Spring.
I'll be reading the forums but if you can volunteer any information about Willison I'd love to hear all about it. Dry facts gleaned from the internet are not as good as first hand information from its people.
Looking forward to meeting everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 23,331 times
First of all, welcome in advance. Second, it sounds like you are giving yourself adequate time to plan your move and get acclimated for what is ahead. This is very wise, as you would not believe the number of people that just show up out here willy nilly.

I worked in Houston for a big chunk of my initial time in this gig, but I have been out here several years now. I am somewhat rare in that my entire career has been spent with the same operator. Anytime I have received offers for more money elsewhere, my employer has always matched it and then some. What is hard to wrap your head around as a newcomer is the fact that the bakken has tremendous worldwide economic and political consequences. We are all pawns in a much larger game.The ideologues hate us, for obvious reasons, but at the end of the day they also realize can't live without us either. An interesting dichotomy.

What is interesting about this part of the Dakotas is the rather large population of blue collar wealth. COVID was especially lean around these parts just like everywhere else, but now things are accelerating once again and there are more jobs than people. So now we find ourselves in a situation not dissimilar to the early 2010's, job market wise, the people with experience will make a killing, and even total newbies that formerly collected a pay check from Kentucky Fried Chicken will show up and be hauling in more cash than they have ever seen in their lifetime.

You can't really trust media reports or the overwhelming majority of social media posts regarding life out here because, again, people hate us for ideological reasons. They want us to fail. Us failing and being relegated to the unemployment line strikes a victory for their ideology. They do not care about us, our families, or our livelihood. They care about a narrative. One you realize this and start to ignore it, it makes life a hell of a lot easier.

If there is anything specific you wish to know feel free to ask. And for reference I am early 30's, no kids, engaged, and a homeowner in town.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:58 PM

ChiTownRobby, thank you for a most informative and intelligently written reply! Thank you for the welcome, one of several I've received, including the martial arts school I hope to attend and my future landlady, whom I spoke to today.

Yes, we have been planning the better part of the last year to move north. My daughter and I relish a cold climate and the hotter Texas gets the more miserable we are. Friends in NM are experiencing 116 dry degrees and we are at 91+ but ours is a wet heat that saps one's strength and unleashes one's temper.

With our situation in mind, we researched the Pacific NW, our first choice, found it to be unfavorable and moved the pin a little to the right. My daughter zeroed in on ND and we hunted all over the state before deciding on Williston. For me, it will be a retirement home (apartment, no more mowing the lawn!) and for her, new opportunities to work, which from what you tell me, sound very good. She has a myriad of job experienced and two degrees in computer technology.

Sounds like you have a stellar employer. I've researched the Bakken Formation, being interested in geology, and find it fascinating. Just as Spindletop in Beaumont defined my area and also had tremendous worldwide economic and political consequences, I can truly understand the mindset of your area. I worked in oil and gas for a number of years and 'get it' perhaps more than your average domestic 'expat,' so although retired, I can relate. Being blue collar ourselves, we should fit right in.

Glad the area is recuperating from the Covid nightmare. My daughter will be happy to know more about the job situation; I've worked for over 50 years and am quite content to just play now. I'm an amateur writer and hope to complete a book I've been working on, plus other hobbies I've neglected. We are relocating for many reasons; one being to begin again after the loss of our family and several lifelong friends. I sold the ancestral farm - just two acres, but it was a farm! - and decided there was nothing left to hold us here. And I have always been an adventurer.

We're realistic and resourceful and plan a period of adjustment both to the climate and 'cliff-dwelling' as I call apartment buildings.

About the 'narrative' of which you spoke, I don't pay much mind to media, social or otherwise. All I want to do is blend in. 'They' (as referenced in your answer) can take long walk off a short pier.

It's so nice to meet you here and should I have any specific questions I'll be sure to ask. I'm a widow of 73, my daughter is nearing 40, and we look forward to new friends and new experiences. Congratulations on your engagement!

Old 06-15-2021, 11:43 AM

23 posts, read 23,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soquilii View Post
ChiTownRobby, thank you for a most informative and intelligently written reply! Thank you for the welcome, one of several I've received, including the martial arts school I hope to attend and my future landlady, whom I spoke to today.

Yes, we have been planning the better part of the last year to move north. My daughter and I relish a cold climate and the hotter Texas gets the more miserable we are. Friends in NM are experiencing 116 dry degrees and we are at 91+ but ours is a wet heat that saps one's strength and unleashes one's temper.

With our situation in mind, we researched the Pacific NW, our first choice, found it to be unfavorable and moved the pin a little to the right. My daughter zeroed in on ND and we hunted all over the state before deciding on Williston. For me, it will be a retirement home (apartment, no more mowing the lawn!) and for her, new opportunities to work, which from what you tell me, sound very good. She has a myriad of job experienced and two degrees in computer technology.

Sounds like you have a stellar employer. I've researched the Bakken Formation, being interested in geology, and find it fascinating. Just as Spindletop in Beaumont defined my area and also had tremendous worldwide economic and political consequences, I can truly understand the mindset of your area. I worked in oil and gas for a number of years and 'get it' perhaps more than your average domestic 'expat,' so although retired, I can relate. Being blue collar ourselves, we should fit right in.

Glad the area is recuperating from the Covid nightmare. My daughter will be happy to know more about the job situation; I've worked for over 50 years and am quite content to just play now. I'm an amateur writer and hope to complete a book I've been working on, plus other hobbies I've neglected. We are relocating for many reasons; one being to begin again after the loss of our family and several lifelong friends. I sold the ancestral farm - just two acres, but it was a farm! - and decided there was nothing left to hold us here. And I have always been an adventurer.

We're realistic and resourceful and plan a period of adjustment both to the climate and 'cliff-dwelling' as I call apartment buildings.

About the 'narrative' of which you spoke, I don't pay much mind to media, social or otherwise. All I want to do is blend in. 'They' (as referenced in your answer) can take long walk off a short pier.

It's so nice to meet you here and should I have any specific questions I'll be sure to ask. I'm a widow of 73, my daughter is nearing 40, and we look forward to new friends and new experiences. Congratulations on your engagement!

Pleasure to make your digital acquaintance as well. I could have gone back to Texas numerous times if I was so inclined. It has been proposed in the past, but I have always declined as I am good where I am at. Not to mention, Houston is not the same place it once was when I left in 2011. That was like 25 world headquarter relocations ago, and the already sprawling and crowded landscape has become even more so. I know so many people dote on Texas these days, for a multitude of reasons, but in my case I was eager to get away. Though one item does give me pause for thought. My modest, 3 bedroom, 1700 square foot house that I lived in while I was working in Texas is now worth well over 400K dollars. I bought it in 2009 for 165.

With your daughter's experience, she should have little difficulty getting hooked up with employment. With her relevant experience she will probably have lots of job offers to choose from. Just remember that with the big employers every offer letter is negotiable. Go big on salary requirements and then have HR try to walk it back from there. While there are other employers in town that will be interested in her IT chops, oil and gas tends to pays the most and have the most robust benefits. Hell, for that matter I am sure my own superiors would be interested in seeing her resume. I even get a bonus for referrals.

Cost of living is finally starting to take a turn for the normal out here thank God, so it is cheaper to live here than it once was. At one point in time we had some of the most ridiculous prices in the country for homes and rentals, but construction has finally began to catch up with demand. Man camps are thankfully going away almost entirely since people can finally rent decent apartments.

There are plenty of luxury and semi-luxury apartment complexes to choose from. Most are either new or only a few years old.

Old 06-15-2021, 04:18 PM

138 posts, read 156,018 times
Quote:
So glad I found this forum. It's just what I need to feel the pulse of the town and get to know some of the people.
Our move is still in the planning stages but we hope you will welcome us by next Spring.
I'll be reading the forums but if you can volunteer any information about Willison I'd love to hear all about it. Dry facts gleaned from the internet are not as good as first hand information from its people.
As you are still in the early stages of planning, have you considered Montana or Minnesota. Reading your posts online I feel both states would offer you better choices. Try Missoula, Butte, Helena, or Bozeman in MT. Duluth, Moorhead, Bemidji, Hibbing/Virginia MN. Wisconsin has nice options too such as Ashland and La Crosse.

Old 06-16-2021, 07:36 PM

Thank you sincerely, and I'll certainly look into those towns. It's just that Williston has the most beautiful apartment complex that has everything I needed and wanted in an affordable package, and that's going to be hard to beat. But I'll take your advice. Thank you!
(I'm going to be completely retired; it's my daughter who has to trudge to the salt mines. LOL!!)

Old 07-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Headline in our local paper.
Yet another reason to move.
It's a miracle I've lived this long.

"Toxic formaldehyde levels found in neighborhoods by ship channel"

Old 07-19-2021, 12:19 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeschooldad1 View Post
As you are still in the early stages of planning, have you considered Montana or Minnesota. Reading your posts online I feel both states would offer you better choices. Try Missoula, Butte, Helena, or Bozeman in MT. Duluth, Moorhead, Bemidji, Hibbing/Virginia MN. Wisconsin has nice options too such as Ashland and La Crosse.
Yeah I'm going to disagree STRONGLY with Montana. Unless you have a few million lying around Bozeman and Missoula are out for sure and the other cities mentioned are also expensive. Not to mention the pretentious people in Missoula and Bozeman. Cost of living is high and wages are some of the lowest in the nation. You can't eat scenery. The places in Minnesota seem nice and so are the people.

Quote:
I haven't lived in Williston but North Dakota in general is the best state I've lived in hands down. The people are friendly and welcoming and down to earth. Williston seems nice but as mentioned, I haven't lived there so don't know the ins and outs. If you do go there, once you get situated visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park. It doesn't get crowded, has great wildlife viewing, and in general is underrated.

Old 07-20-2021, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Yeah I'm going to disagree STRONGLY with Montana. Unless you have a few million lying around Bozeman and Missoula are out for sure and the other cities mentioned are also expensive. Not to mention the pretentious people in Missoula and Bozeman. Cost of living is high and wages are some of the lowest in the nation. You can't eat scenery. The places in Minnesota seem nice and so are the people.

I haven't lived in Williston but North Dakota in general is the best state I've lived in hands down. The people are friendly and welcoming and down to earth. Williston seems nice but as mentioned, I haven't lived there so don't know the ins and outs. If you do go there, once you get situated visit Theodore Roosevelt National Park. It doesn't get crowded, has great wildlife viewing, and in general is underrated.

THANK YOU! Trust me, we've researched ourselves dizzy over the past two years and found exactly what we can afford. This post is CORRECT - you can't eat scenery. It's why I had to give up the Pacific N/W, where I really wanted to be. Just too much $$$. We are exceptionally competent in adjusting to anything, as long as it lies within our budget. I can't count the weeks and months we have been without water and power in Baytown; once when our water well collapsed, once when a freak freeze fractured the fittings AND THE TANK!, once when a truck plowed into our power pole, and hurricane upon hurricane upon hurricane. [Homeownership ain't like it was in the brochure.] We kept our cool and dealt with it all. We've cooked over an open fire and found ingenious ways of getting water.
But we've had enough.
We found a lovely apartment ideally suited to us and a similar small town grown out of the oil boom - we should feel right at home. Thank you for the vote on North Dakota. I have the Roosevelt Park on my list to visit! And the folks I've talked to here seem friendly and welcoming. I can't wait to get up there! Just 6 months to wait! (I have to close my business.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota > Williston
View detailed profiles of: