U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 11:58 AM

24 posts, read 47,713 times

Advertisements

are they really that high? and can someone maybe give be a more or less guess to what they had to pay maybe for a 2 bed room house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM

114 posts, read 285,461 times
Yes, they are high, but Wisconsin schools and local governments rely more on property taxes than other places that might use higher sales taxes, local incomes taxes, etc.

You really need to narrow down the scope of your question. What areas are you looking at? In general, a good ballpark figure for property taxes is probably about 2% of the home's value per year, a little higher in villages and cities, and less in townships with fewer services. Schools (K-12 and tech) will get about half of that, and the local gov't (municipal, town, county) will get most of the other half. The state gets very little.

Old 07-09-2010, 05:35 PM

24 posts, read 47,713 times
o ok, im still new to this house hunting stuff and im trying to figure out everything before i decide. but not i have a qustion. if the house is paid off does one still have to pay yearly property tax?

Old 07-09-2010, 11:12 PM

114 posts, read 285,461 times
You pay the same tax regardless if you have a mortgage or it's paid off. The only way property taxes and mortgages have any relationship is if your lender requires you to escrow property taxes into your mortgage payments. For example, if your "normal" (principal and interest) mortgage payment is $1000 a month, and your property taxes are estimated to be $3600 per year, the lender may require you to pay $1300 per month, with $300 of that going to your property taxes, which they will pay on your behalf at the end of the year. If you don't have a mortgage, or your lender doesn't have you escrow, you simply pay the property tax yourself.

Property taxes are basically a fee to residents to pay for local services. You don't get off for free just because you own a house with no debt.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 7,078 times
My house is valued around $270,000. I live in a township so my taxes are less. I pay about $4000 a year. I think that's pretty high.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:49 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,120,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by negrito211 View Post
are they really that high? and can someone maybe give be a more or less guess to what they had to pay maybe for a 2 bed room house?

Are Wisconsin taxes too high? - Isthmus | The Daily Page

"So the fuller picture shows that Wisconsin's tax burden is high in two areas: residential property taxes and individual income taxes. But Wisconsin has among the nation's lowest sales tax and is in the middle on fees."

Old 10-27-2010, 12:35 PM

152 posts, read 310,736 times
what town are you looking at, property tax can vary from town to town

Old 10-27-2010, 01:14 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,120,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadman154 View Post
what town are you looking at, property tax can vary from town to town
Very true. And it is based upon property assessment.

I always find it funny when people who pee and moan about property taxes one week, will list their house for sale at a price far above the comps the next week.

Old 10-28-2010, 09:51 PM

90 posts, read 294,652 times
Default yes and no

Quote:
Originally Posted by craptacular View Post
Yes, they are high, but Wisconsin schools and local governments rely more on property taxes than other places that might use higher sales taxes, local incomes taxes, etc.

You really need to narrow down the scope of your question. What areas are you looking at? In general, a good ballpark figure for property taxes is probably about 2% of the home's value per year, a little higher in villages and cities, and less in townships with fewer services. Schools (K-12 and tech) will get about half of that, and the local gov't (municipal, town, county) will get most of the other half. The state gets very little.
This is a pretty good explanation. Yes, property taxes are higher than places in the south, for example, but the sales taxes and fees tend to be lower. Some states really squeeze you on things like car registration and driver's license fee, but then have low taxes. I've heard from other people that comparable cities in vastly different states tend to get similar once you add all the taxes and fees into the equation.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:17 PM

7,328 posts, read 6,757,721 times
you know that old saying, you can't get something for nothing... but you can at least try! Just don't get burnt with the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or