Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,347 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I am looking in the Midwest area...Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota for a community that is smaller, artsy, caring, sustainable living, historical. If there is an area that has the above with lower property taxes, let me know.

I was really excited about Southern Wisconsin, but then saw the property taxes...is there any movement to change this? I think my fear is that if I was to find a house with lower taxes, once I moved in, it could be re-assessed at a higher rate and then...eek. I am looking for an older property up to 140K. in a small town and was shocked by the property taxes on properties that were vacant and languishing. My first question is: are there any places in Southern Wisconsin with lower taxes? What happens in Wisconsin to retired people or the elderly or lower income people? How do they manage to pay? (I guess I always thought of Wisconsin as a really progressive state in all other ways---so this was really a surprise to me.) I am guessing that owning a home in Wisconsin is challenging to many. (That is a shame, really.) I was just hoping that someone could enlighten me.

Anyway....

I am looking into SW Wisconsin...or any community within an hour (or so) of Madison...though for the right community, a bit further would be fine.

I have no children, so the schools do not have to be top-notch. I work at home.

Some of the things I am looking for:

1. Thriving arts community, interesting people who care about each other.
2. Small town feeling
3. A town council that cares about its town and its people.
4. Farmer's market perhaps
5. Historical houses that are affordable
6. Good sprinkling of boomers
7. A downtown area that would be open to new businesses
8. A revitalized downtown
9. Nice, friendly neighbors

I would like to be in a cultural community...small town feel, nice neighbors, affordable real estate and historical houses.

It would be great if it had a decent bookstore, antique shops (maybe), a cafe and a health food store....or a good farmer's market.

If you have lived/live in Mineral Point, Platteville, Dodgeville...or any cities in that direction...please let me know the plus and minuses of those areas. If there are other cities not near Madison that are worth mentioning...send those along as well. (Viroqua?)

If you live in another area....within an hour or so of Madison that has these amenities, please let me know those as well.

Thank you very much....any feedback would be so appreciated as I am planning a trip there soon to take a look....among other places in the Midwest.

I probably will be posting again as I get more questions...till then...hope someone out there will respond....Thank you sooo much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 10:20 PM

33 posts, read 98,810 times
Mt. Horeb is quirky. Being of Scandinavian ancestry they honor the troll. Also both the mustard musuem and the Gonstead chiropractic method both call it home. The Gonstead method of chiropractic care became so popular they build a hotel and airstrip to accomodate visitors. Plus, Military Ridge state trail which runs from Madison to Dodgeville pass right through town. You can peacefully bike or through farm fields and pastures. Doesn't that sound nice?

Old 07-18-2013, 09:29 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,168,802 times
Well, "progressive" and "higher taxes" go hand-in-hand. I'd say Viroqua fits your points the best in the state. You could also try some of the Door County towns, Bayfield, Hayward, suburbs (Cedarburg?, some choices around Madison?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin