Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM

26 posts, read 45,159 times

Advertisements

Hello my husband and I have been New Yorkers all our lives but, now we are looking for a much slower, more relaxed pace of life, affordable housing (where ever the purchase of a home is even possible these days). We are looking into the following places Seattle, Wisconsin, Virgina, Georgia, Ohio, Minnesota, North or South Carolina, Ohio and Oregon. Can anyone make any other suggestions?? Anything that would help would really be appreciated. I realize that I am not being as detailed as I should be but, anywhere that's just slower more relaxed and inexpensive will really, truly help!! Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 05:26 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 2,190,056 times
Wow, that's a wide spectrum of places. maybe you should visit some of them to get a feel before making the leap. Even then I would rent for a while so you can learn about the area before buying.

Comparing Wisconsin with NYC:

Wisconsin is definitely a lot slower pace than NYC. In general less expensive though there is a great variation in places within Wisconsin. I would guess you'd be happiest in the urban centers of Milwaukee or Madison. The air is cleaner. It's a lot colder in the winter. Traffic flows better. People are friendlier. Less crime. Better schools, etc.

On the other hand, there is nothing like the walkability of Manhattan, you need a car most places, getting in and out by air is not as convenient (except perhaps Milwaukee), there are fewer "cultural" events, less diversity etc.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceu View Post
Hello my husband and I have been New Yorkers all our lives but, now we are looking for a much slower, more relaxed pace of life, affordable housing (where ever the purchase of a home is even possible these days). We are looking into the following places Seattle, Wisconsin, Virgina, Georgia, Ohio, Minnesota, North or South Carolina, Ohio and Oregon. Can anyone make any other suggestions?? Anything that would help would really be appreciated. I realize that I am not being as detailed as I should be but, anywhere that's just slower more relaxed and inexpensive will really, truly help!! Thanks!!!!

Ohio used to interest me too, but from what I've read on their forum, there are definitely some spots there to avoid. (Like Toledo... sounds like a dump...and that's the locals talking.) I'd definitely research hard on that one. Actually, I'd say if you're going to check out Ohio, I think Indiana would be a nice place to check out as well. I looked at their thread and I was impressed with what I saw. Never been there, never had the inclination to go there, but I think it's a little well-kept secret over there... probably more promising than Ohio.

Okay, now for experience....
Duluth, Minnesota area might be nice for you. That's right on Lake Superior and near the Apostle Islands. Since you're from New York, I wouldn't imagine the winters would be any kind of a shocker - and it gets harsh up there. You guys get hit pretty hard out east from what I see on the news, though.

The Somerset, WI/Stillwater, MN/Hudson, WI areas might be worth checking out.

Seattle is gorgeous, as is that entire area of Washington. They're known for their overcast weather though. So I'd be prepared for that. And it's an odd place to drive. The roads in the city take some getting used to.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:51 PM

26 posts, read 45,159 times
Thanks R_K and Minniesconsinite!! I am really thankful for this site it's been so helpful and the people here are awesome!

Thanks R_K but actual, I am not too interested in Urban environment at all. I love, love diversity but, don't care much to live in a "city like" area. I want something completely different than what I am used to. I am looking for a calm small town area where my husband and I could settle and yes definitely rent somewhere before I learn my way around. And Manhattan is not it's all cracked up to be. UGH! (I was born and raised in NYC, I can't stand it!!)

Minniesconsinite thanks so much for the tip on Ohio (Toledo), LOL. And yes winters get pretty harsh out in NYC also. That's nothing I am concerned about since my husband and I do enjoy cold weather. We are not looking into any place like California or Florida.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:29 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voiceu View Post

Minniesconsinite thanks so much for the tip on Ohio (Toledo), LOL. And yes winters get pretty harsh out in NYC also. That's nothing I am concerned about since my husband and I do enjoy cold weather. We are not looking into any place like California or Florida.
Well, I'm just sayin' - do your research. There was also a recent Yahoo news headline. I forget the magazine it was from - but they rated the top 20 or so worst cities to live in, and Ohio made the list about three times. Then I went to their forum to read and Toledo definitely stuck out to me as a town that's not going anywhere. Bummer, because that is a town I was interested in.

I was interested in Ohio too. Now I would be pretty weary after what I've read from residents on their forum.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 48,315 times
As far as Wisconsin goes, the Madison and Milwaukee areas I beleive would be a good bet for you. Much smaller than NYC but still enough to do as far as activities, restaraunts, concerts, sports, etc. Meanwhile, you can live in a rural setting near these cities if you choose so as not to be bothered by day to day city life. As for South Carolina, you can really get alot for your money as far as housing. Slow paced to what I'm used to so it's probably going to look like slow motion for you. Suburbs around Charleston and Columbia are worth looking at. My wife and I live in the Milwaukee area and have been looking in South Carolina for possible retirement living as we are tired of the cold, long northern winters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin