Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Scott Walker or Tom Barrett?
Scott Walker 69 60.00%
Tom Barrett 46 40.00%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 05:29 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times

Advertisements

Okay so who do you got and why?

Scott Walker for Wisconsin Governor

Tom Barrett for Governor

I would like to add to keep it peaceful please. Here is one giant question, why do some people always vote for the D or the R when voting? I know they say "b/c the Republican party best lines up with my values" or "the democrats". To say that, I say BS b/c if you truly follow politics and really know the inside baseball of it all you cannot always vote for the party. Following politics is not just as simple as listening to talk radio or reading the JS and watching your favorite political pundit show. That is just the beginning. Following politics really is a full time job, a lot of c-span watching and bill reading is not as exciting as watching MSNBC or Fox News. Just food for thought. I have voted many times for a democrat but have yet to find a Dem who has voted for a conservative or republican. I vote for my values and morals not some stupid political party.

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 08-25-2010 at 05:37 PM.. Reason: Because I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM

I am voting for Scott Walker b/c I believe in his values and morals and philosophy. Tom Barret is one of the nicest guys around but an empty suit to me. I am not totally against rail but at this point in time when we have net's catching concrete that is following off the Hoan bridge I believe we can spend our money more wisely. I am for smaller, less government and smart fiscal responsibility. I look at Scott Walker's record and what He say's He does and that I love about a politician.

So their some of my reasons.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:55 PM

16 posts, read 81,052 times
You know that the reason infrastructure in Milwaukee is falling apart is because of Walker's ridiculous record of cutting taxes at any cost (deferred maintenance plans in this instance), even the cost of buildings/bridges falling apart....right? I'm just saying.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:03 PM

I'm not going to get into a urination match but you are aware Gov.Jim Doyle has taken out over a billion dollars out of the transportation fund to use for "other" things. I'm just saying.

Fight over state transportation fund takes a new turn - JSOnline

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/97822819.html

Old 08-25-2010, 08:52 PM

365 posts, read 779,493 times
I think it's important for Wisconsin to grow her infrastructure. The high speed rail initative proposed for Milwaukee to Madison with future expansion to the Twin Cities and the future Milwaukee to Green Bay line will be key in helping Wisconsin to compete with other regions of the country in the global economy of the 21st century. Walker is for stopping passenger rail dead in its tracks. This is why I'm for Barrett.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times

YouTube - A Tale of Two Candidates - Tom Barrett vs. Scott Walker

Old 08-25-2010, 10:51 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,070,604 times
Citizens Inspect County Buildings, Give Walker an F

Old 08-25-2010, 11:20 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
I don't consider myself a Democrat or Republican, but I do lean left and often vote for Democrats--because they often align more closely with my beliefs. Sometimes I vote for left-leaning third-party candidates, not only because of issues and beliefs, but also because I really think this country could benefit from a strong third party.

In the case of Barrett and Walker, I'll go with Barrett because he aligns more closely with my social beliefs. I respect Walker for his rhetoric of frugality, attempts at fiscal conservatism, and pro-business mentality, but he's the sort of person who sees education and public health as zero-sum expenses and budget liabilities, not as assets and investments. He's also the sort of person to impose his social and religious views in such a way as to limit and roll back the civil liberties of other people who don't think like he does.

Barrett, on the other hand, doesn't stand out as a great money manager and forward-thinking fiscal steward, but he's still reasonably pro-business. And his approach to social governance is more charitable--live and let live, help those in need. Still, other than that, and the fact that he's not Walker, I see no gut-burning reason to vote for him....

Old 08-25-2010, 11:53 PM

2,567 posts, read 5,311,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

I have voted many times for a democrat but have yet to find a Dem who has voted for a conservative or republican. I vote for my values and morals not some stupid political party.
I know many Dems who have voted for Republicans, and I know at least one who has voted for a conservative Republican.

Perhaps registered Republicans do roam more freely around the electoral spectrum than registered Dems do, but perhaps that's because there are more and varied conservative Democrats than liberal Republicans.

If there were a Republican running for office who is fiscally conservative and pro-business yet willing to invest in key public sectors, and who supports equal rights and civil liberties for all people, then that person would get my vote. Unfortunately, there are very few Republicans like that anywhere in this country--mostly on the West Coast and Eastern Seaboard.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:08 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times
Yesterday on an 'On-Issues' program which pitted Walker vs Mark Neumann (both running for the GOP nomination for Governor), the single area of agreement between the two was that they both want deep cuts in Badger Care- the program which insures the poor and elderly, many of whom would be destitute were it not for the state-run program.

Both also praised various tax breaks for businesses- both small and large.

If we did not have 30 years of records which show how those ideas work to destroy everyone except the rich, then I might consider voting for a Republican. However, until another TR comes along, then the only viable choice is a Democrat- at least at the state level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin