U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2010, 09:55 PM

13 posts, read 25,294 times

Advertisements

I grew up in SW Wisconsin and then moved to Denver for college and stayed for 14 yrs. When the population and water restrictions increased to much we moved to Eugene, Oregon. When the grayness in winter got to me, we moved back to Wisconsin. I love the family and people in Wisconsin but truly am miserable in the climate except for that rare 3 wks in spring and fall. I loved Colorado. The climate to me was perfect and the allergies were much better than Wisconsin however I agree with the dryness issue. There was always plenty of sun and it never froze my nostrils shut with -80 in the winter. Oregon has little or no ragweed and so allergies were even better except when they burned the grass seed fields twice a year. That climate was also great temperature-wise except that the gray days from Oct. 31-July 4 (except that odd week in February) wore a me down. I did miss the sun then. I guess I had hoped that I would find something like the Colorado climate combined with the Oregon Coast (which is never truly warm) in Sheboygan or one of the great lake towns without the extreme allergies or the freezing to the bone in winter. Boating is big in our family so it would have been perfect.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:19 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,761,677 times
Grew up here and just moved back after 23 years in Colorado...I have no intention of suffering through even ONE brutal Wisconsin winter. Wisconsin winters are dangerous to the health of all things living and the main reason drinking is Wisconsins' favorite past-time.

Short answer: There is no comparing Wisconsin winters to Colorado...two completely different worlds.
Example: You will see bikini clad babes skiing in Colorado...very doubtful at Cascade Mountain.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,432,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amerifree View Post
Example: You will see bikini clad babes skiing in Colorado...very doubtful at Cascade Mountain.
That's only because places like A-Basin still have snow on them all the way until May/June.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:02 PM

9,307 posts, read 7,800,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WICOPNW View Post
I grew up in SW Wisconsin and then moved to Denver for college and stayed for 14 yrs. When the population and water restrictions increased to much we moved to Eugene, Oregon. When the grayness in winter got to me, we moved back to Wisconsin. I love the family and people in Wisconsin but truly am miserable in the climate except for that rare 3 wks in spring and fall. I loved Colorado. The climate to me was perfect and the allergies were much better than Wisconsin however I agree with the dryness issue. There was always plenty of sun and it never froze my nostrils shut with -80 in the winter. Oregon has little or no ragweed and so allergies were even better except when they burned the grass seed fields twice a year. That climate was also great temperature-wise except that the gray days from Oct. 31-July 4 (except that odd week in February) wore a me down. I did miss the sun then. I guess I had hoped that I would find something like the Colorado climate combined with the Oregon Coast (which is never truly warm) in Sheboygan or one of the great lake towns without the extreme allergies or the freezing to the bone in winter. Boating is big in our family so it would have been perfect.

There is a place that might fit your description, east Tennessee. Very moderate climate there.. winters but not ones that will freeze your ass off, and summers that are warm but not brutal, because of the elevation. Probably plenty of allergies in any humid climate you choose to live in though.

To the poster who said Wisconsin people like to drink, are you telling me that in warm parts of the country people don't spend all their time drinking? That seems unreal to me.. I thought drinking and bars were just a cultural obsession done everywhere. Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:50 PM

9,307 posts, read 7,800,956 times
here you are... paradise..

//www.city-data.com/city/Gatlinburg-Tennessee.html

Old 09-22-2010, 02:04 PM

Gatlinburg, TN does look beautiful. We'll have to add that to our places to visit and check out. My son added Portland, ME to the list although I thought it would be similar to the Great Lakes towns. Are the arts big in TN or no? And as far as Wisconsin people liking to drink, well most small towns have as many churches as bars if that says anything. And actually, comparing it with the other places we've lived I just think it's the hospitality thing. For any event or get together or even a stop over at a friends/relatives house, there is always food brought out and beverages. I think it enhances the storytelling

Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,145,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay2bay View Post
Winters are colder and dryer in WI but spring comes earlier. I flew through DEN last mid April and the trees were bare, when my connecting flight got me to GRB the trees were budding out and flowering shrubs were in bloom.
I've lived in Madison for 11 years and Spring came about three weeks earlier in 2010 than it did the year before. It was greener faster and I loved it. Winter is way too long and barren in WI.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:02 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,761,677 times
Grew up here and just moved back after 23 years from Palmer lake Colorado (though I've been flying here every month to visit my mom in a nursing home). I'm also a certified weather observer, but won't bore anyone with stats. All I can say is: Wisconsin is the only place where my eyelids actually froze shut. It was -80F with the windchill.
The biggest difference is 'sunshine days'. Colorado has more sunshine days per year than Florida.
Wisconsin is further north in latitude, but it's the humidity that really bites to the bone here in the winter.
Also, Colorado uses Potasium Chlorate to melt the roads. Wisconsin uses salt which causes rust in all automobiles unless treated with Zeebart or some such expensive undercaoting.
Wisconsin winters can run from November to April: 6 months with much overcast.
Colorado runs from December to March with several breaks of sunny days above freezing.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 PM
r_k

836 posts, read 1,977,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
I've lived in Madison for 11 years and Spring came about three weeks earlier in 2010 than it did the year before. It was greener faster and I loved it. Winter is way too long and barren in WI.
I noticed that too. I have been observing seasonal changes for almost 40 years, and spring 2010 was about 2 weeks earlier than any other spring I could recall.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:14 AM

Amerifree - would you have moved back if not to take care of family? I truly miss that weather in Colorado but trying to judge if the sheer number of people out there is worth the trade off of colder here and less people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin