U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 07:33 PM

9,454 posts, read 7,891,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WICOPNW View Post
Gatlinburg, TN does look beautiful. We'll have to add that to our places to visit and check out. My son added Portland, ME to the list although I thought it would be similar to the Great Lakes towns. Are the arts big in TN or no? And as far as Wisconsin people liking to drink, well most small towns have as many churches as bars if that says anything. And actually, comparing it with the other places we've lived I just think it's the hospitality thing. For any event or get together or even a stop over at a friends/relatives house, there is always food brought out and beverages. I think it enhances the storytelling

I've never lived outside cold climates. I just assumed drinking was pretty much a cultural thing and bars were everywhere. I don't know much about the cultural climate of east TN, and I think Maine is a lot like WI depending on the area. Some parts are very cold, as cold as northern MN and ND just gotta look at your hardiness zone map and avoid those areas.

My guess is I'll end up around Baraboo. I just like WI. The driftless area, the state parks and lakes, the dells. For 100 bucks I'll get a season pass to noah's ark and spend every weekend there. I like the 4 full seasons and don't mind cold weather. I just don't like bitter cold, eastern SD weather where the snow never melts because it never gets above 32 degrees from late Nov through early March and it's -10 to -20 all the time at night.

One thing to keep in mind is that Maine has the highest tax burden of any state in the US, at least according to stats I've read.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM

6 posts, read 8,589 times
just my two cents' worth, being a former resident of Sheboygan, WI.
I can think of worse places to live. For many years I lived within a few blocks of the lake on the north side. The lake does have a minor effect on the local weather. slightly cooler & more humid during the day in summer, but warmer than inland at night. maybe slightly warmer in winter by about 5 degrees. I noticed more morning & evening fog in spring and fall in Sheboygan than I experienced inland. but, the sun usually burns it off pretty quick. The lake does have it's scenic and recreational qualities, but it sucks for swimming.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin