Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 03:19 PM

49 posts, read 179,527 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband has a job opportunity in Wausau and in Oshkosh. The jobs are equal so the decision comes down to where to live. We currently live in DC but are in our 30's and looking to start a family. While schools and family fun is important we also want restaurants and activities available be it recreational or cultural. We understand neither is a big city but we also love small town with local activies. We would prefer an older home in a more "downtown" location where you can easily get downtown either a long walk or quick drive...if not this than perhaps a home near/on water. We realize Oshkosh probably means living in Neenah or Appleton so feel free to give your opinion. We are an outgoing couple that likes to be active and likes unique local things versus strip mall, mcmansion, chain filled, urban sprawl which is what we have found in many cities. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 08:49 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
I'd have to recommend the Oshkosh position primarily because of its proximity to Appleton. Appleton has more of the things you're looking for, and more of an established "city" feel, though I will warn it's a very minimal "city" feel -- big enough to remind you that you're not in a hick town, small enough to remind you that you're nowhere near a substantial metropolitan area. Wausau has more of the things you're not looking for, and it's not really near anything approximating a city.

That said, you'll probably want to prepare yourself for a rant from a forum regular who has made it his primary mission in life to let everyone know how much he hates Appleton. His harangues are not entirely without basis, but take it with a grain of salt when it comes.

Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM

647 posts, read 1,663,609 times
The Wausau area is a nice place to live. Obviously we arean't as big as Appleton or Oshkosh. Wausau/Weston/Schofield/Rothschild's population is maybe around 50k and growing. There is a lot of construction starting to take place in the downtown area, and then Rib Mountain area is still booming with new retail and restaurants are going up all the time.

One good thing about the Wausau area is that being inthe middle of the state, we are within a few hours drive to everything. 1 1/2 to GreenBay, 4 hr to Minneapolis, 3 1/2-4 to Milwaukee. The schools are great up here. If you like high school football, the Wisconsin Valley Conference is arguably one of the best in the state. The Wausau are has 3 local teams in the conference, with D.C. Everest always being a powerhouse. If it's water you want, there's plenty of lakes around and the Badger state games are up here in the Winter. There are a few museums in the area.

Good luck on your choice.

Old 07-05-2007, 10:57 AM

23 posts, read 94,668 times
Wasau would be better place to raise kids, unless learning Spanish is a priority,in which case Oshkosh would be better.

Old 07-05-2007, 02:22 PM

HI.

We are going to be in Appleton this weekend to check it out and Wausau the end of the month - I'll let you know what we decide. As for Appleton - are there homes close to "downtown" - older homes on tree lined streets type of thing? Do people with children live in those area or has everyone moved out to more of a suburb/gated community type of thing. Also - how is the commute from Appleton to Oshkosh? THanks so much for your help!

Old 07-05-2007, 03:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Yes there are residential neighorhoods walkable from downtown, and no, people aren't fleeing for the suburbs. That usually doesn't happen until schools start to suck and/or, let's be candid here, waves of minorities start moving in -- people like the poster above you who are like "Oh n0z, M3x1kanz! Run 4 teh hillz!" because a city that's 90% white just isn't white enough for them. But, Hispanics are moving in, and no, you won't have to know Spanish, they still represent a single-digit proportion of the population and so for now they are forced to adapt. Appleton proper's population grew nearly 7% between the 1990 and 2000 census.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 AM

90 posts, read 328,445 times
There is a lot of traffic on 41 between Appleton and Oshkosh. Consider Neenah. Closer than Appleton, nice old homes with trees, cute downtown.

Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM

Default Back from visit to Appleton Area

We just got back from Appleton last night. As my husband would be working in Oshkosh so we spent some time looking around Neenah as well. We were surprised that the lake/river is less a part of the community than we expected (I suppose more so in Appleton - I think we thought we would SEE it from downtown or more of the homes etc). We thought the area was quaint and pretty and seems to be very family oriented. Neenah seemed to have less in terms of shopping and restaurants yetits location on the lake was very appealing (and closer to Oshkosh)

So my only real question is one that I hate to ask for fear of appealing "snotty". As my husband will be working he will have a social outlet via that. I will be home with a baby at least for a couple of years. We are both attorneys. My only hesitation is a fear that there won't be enough young professional couples or professional moms for me to befriend. Again - this sounds snotty but I want to make sure that there are enough educated people interested in similar things to my husband and I. (I understand this is not NYC but I also don't want to feel like an outsider especially if I am home most of my day with someone that doesn't speak or walk yet!

Thanks for any advice. Are there groups anyone would recommend my joining? We like to entertain, have drinks with friends, go to events..that sort of thing.

Double E

Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,488 times
Thanks for asking all these questions doublee.

My wife and I are in a very similar situation, with one major difference, She would be working and I would be home with our 9 month old.

My wife is considering a job in Neenah and we would be moving from the east coast as well. From the suburbs of Philly.

We haven't had occasion to visit yet, but I am wondering what kind of feel you got from the area?

Does everything shut down at night?

We know several stay at home dads around here, but am I going to really be odd in this situation living in Neenah? Probably not something you have considered as it doesn't apply to your situation.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM

46 posts, read 259,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband has a job opportunity in Wausau and in Oshkosh. The jobs are equal so the decision comes down to where to live. We currently live in DC but are in our 30's and looking to start a family. While schools and family fun is important we also want restaurants and activities available be it recreational or cultural. We understand neither is a big city but we also love small town with local activies. We would prefer an older home in a more "downtown" location where you can easily get downtown either a long walk or quick drive...if not this than perhaps a home near/on water. We realize Oshkosh probably means living in Neenah or Appleton so feel free to give your opinion. We are an outgoing couple that likes to be active and likes unique local things versus strip mall, mcmansion, chain filled, urban sprawl which is what we have found in many cities. Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!
If you want a home on the water, the Oshkosh area has a MUCH greater choice than Appleton or Neenah. On the other hand, an older home near downtown, on the water will be VERY limiting in Oshkosh. Oshkosh has a symphony, very good schools, a large university, and a better library than the other cities. Neenah is more "snooty", and Oshkosh is more "blue collar"; but there are snooty areas in oshkosh and blue collar areas in Neenah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin