Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Ron Johnson or Russ Feingold?
Ron Johnson 22 42.31%
Russ Feingold 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:37 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,999,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Feingold sided with the right when he voted not to allow a stimulus for ss recipients (to save his job, trying to make people think he is wanting to cut stimulus packages, e.g. gov't spending)

now that's real American media bias. Especially after accepting $$$ from conservatives in order to push their agenda.

If FOX ever wanted to be a real media outlet, they wouldn't have done what they have, and, since they have, the agency is nothing more than propagandist.

Unlike MSNBC, who are a liberal media mouth, I have not heard of them taking $$$ to push liberal views upon the public.

By Feingold voting with republicans not to allow a $250.00 one time payment to people on Social Security, he is slapping seniors and the disabled in the face. Did he, and others in Government get their raises this, and last year? Whatever made him think that ss recipients didn't need, or couldn't use a little extra? Fact is, he's trying to save his own bacon by emitting a message that he IS CONSERVATIVE AND FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE? Such a hypocrite.
http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

Could not disagree more that MSNBC is 'a liberal media mouth'.

Such a thing does NOT exist in the US today.
Ever watch MSNBC? Owned by GE?

In their 'news' on their shows ('Morning Joe', Andrea Mitchell (aka: Mrs. Alan Greenspan), Tamron Mitchell, et al), they are identical to Fox, or ABC, whomever. What you are thinking of is the P.M.-nightly line up from Schultz to Maddow.
And to understand that phenom, you have to know that the fastest growing segment (as opposed to an overall majority) of the populace are those who understand our media has a 100% corporate bias.

Beause of this, GE, made a marketing move to go after that segment, although it has produced some real 'oops' moments for the brand (remember when the #2 (they always have the flunkies tell the biggest lies) news director tried to promote the lie that 'Obama never promised a Public Option.', only to be caught by Olberman who ran tape showing Obama promising just that?), and Maddow, et al, are still on thin ice, and could be replaced (as has been threatened before) at anytime by more 'boardroom' friendly personnel.

Proof for this is the Akre's case (above). Although a Fox action- EVERY major 'news' (propaganda) org. in our domestic market- including MSNBC- and such staples as CBS, CNN, ABC, Gannett Media (newspaper) and Clear Channel wrote amicus curae briefs in support of Fox's 'right' to distort (eg, 'lie') in its braodcasts for financial reasons.

Which usually runs counter to profits because, 'Truth has a liberal bias.', when the truth is that truth has a reality bias, and reality so-often collides with making a buck, which is what GE (et'C') is all about.

Did not know that fact about Russ re: the $250.00 for Social Security recipients. I'll do some research.

Mr. Feingold and I have sometimes disagreed in the past. I still support him because most times (not 100%, more like 80%) it turned out he was right and I was wrong.

I'm still going to vote for him, and urge anyone who does not want to see their job in China next year (or so), or who opposes corporate fascism to also vote for Feingold.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-21-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Great Ad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImOsg...layer_embedded

Old 10-21-2010, 04:59 PM

Slight to correction to my post above:

The corporate card reader is named Tamron Hall- not Tamron Mitchell.

All else is accurate as to fact.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:05 AM

113 posts, read 309,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre57 View Post
Feingold sided with the right when he voted not to allow a stimulus for ss recipients (to save his job, trying to make people think he is wanting to cut stimulus packages, e.g. gov't spending)

By Feingold voting with republicans not to allow a $250.00 one time payment to people on Social Security, he is slapping seniors and the disabled in the face. Did he, and others in Government get their raises this, and last year? Whatever made him think that ss recipients didn't need, or couldn't use a little extra? Fact is, he's trying to save his own bacon by emitting a message that he IS CONSERVATIVE AND FISCALLY RESPONSIBLE? Such a hypocrite.

Why should there be a $250 payment to social security recipients? I'm a Democrat and am far from the "let's cut all spending" type. But that plan sounded like pure pandering. It was initiated by the administration because there was no SS cost of living increase this year. Why should there be? The economy was in the tank and we are approaching deflation. There was absolutely no indication for a cost of living increase. Any money given preferentially to one group seems pretty irresponsible to me. And from what I know of Feingold, he hasn't really ever "sided" with anyone. He's a pretty pragmatic legislator. It's a shame it looks like he is going to be voted out in favor of a guy who seemingly has no specific plan.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,844 times
As a new resident to Wisconsin, I'm shocked at the level of koolaid consumption in this state.
Talk about a drunken stupor. Wisconsin is the second highest property taxed state in the nation...and yet residents are seemingly ok with re-elected politicians who use your money for their own benefit?
Time for some real 'change'....and a lot of black coffee. Wisconsin needs to wake up and stop funding a the hungry, dependant and entitlement minded congress.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:15 PM

Are Wisconsin taxes too high? - Isthmus | The Daily Page

Old 10-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
Why should there be a $250 payment to social security recipients? I'm a Democrat and am far from the "let's cut all spending" type. But that plan sounded like pure pandering. It was initiated by the administration because there was no SS cost of living increase this year. Why should there be? The economy was in the tank and we are approaching deflation. There was absolutely no indication for a cost of living increase. Any money given preferentially to one group seems pretty irresponsible to me. And from what I know of Feingold, he hasn't really ever "sided" with anyone. He's a pretty pragmatic legislator. It's a shame it looks like he is going to be voted out in favor of a guy who seemingly has no specific plan.

Inflation is measured (for determining SS benefits, etc.) at the Wholesale level.

Retail level is a whole 'nother game.

Old 10-25-2010, 05:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,109,500 times
So Geechie, just ask yourself this question.

Am I getting my money's worth? if you think we get great services for our level of taxation then okay.

However, I drive on our roads, I see our school scores, I see bridges falling down, I see poop in my lake that I boat on and fish in on, I see companies leaving our state, I see teachers being told to avoid our income tax by living in Florida, I see large plots of land unused, I see grass taller than me along freeways and medians, I see trash not being picked-up, I see large sections of freeways with burnt out lights, etc.

Meanwhile I see, free cell phones handed by our federal government to low income people, I see daycare workers embezzling millions of state dollars, I see matc teachers making well over 100,000 to work part time, I see no bid contracts handed out to campaign donors, I see teachers not even showing for work for two years and still collecting 100K+ salary while he woks as a teacher in IL and making another 100K, I see voter fraud IE: Me not being able to vote last presidential election b/c "I voted already" when I had not, I see politicians voting for bills and legislation that majority of the state doesn't want and politicians completely ignoring their constituents, etc.

After second thought, maybe I am getting a good bang for my buck and I should just keep voting for these honorable men and women.

And if Ronald Johnson doesn't vote the way I want him to, well you can bet your *** I will vote him out next election.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 AM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Am I getting my money's worth? if you think we get great services for our level of taxation then okay.

However, I drive on our roads, I see our school scores, I see bridges falling down, I see poop in my lake that I boat on and fish in on, I see companies leaving our state, I see teachers being told to avoid our income tax by living in Florida, I see large plots of land unused, I see grass taller than me along freeways and medians, I see trash not being picked-up, I see large sections of freeways with burnt out lights, etc.

Meanwhile I see, free cell phones handed by our federal government to low income people, I see daycare workers embezzling millions of state dollars, I see matc teachers making well over 100,000 to work part time, I see no bid contracts handed out to campaign donors, I see teachers not even showing for work for two years and still collecting 100K+ salary while he woks as a teacher in IL and making another 100K, I see voter fraud IE: Me not being able to vote last presidential election b/c "I voted already" when I had not, I see politicians voting for bills and legislation that majority of the state doesn't want and politicians completely ignoring their constituents, etc.

After second thought, maybe I am getting a good bang for my buck and I should just keep voting for these honorable men and women.

And if Ronald Johnson doesn't vote the way I want him to, well you can bet your *** I will vote him out next election.
And, what was Feingold, the Kenosha Mayor and other elected officials doing to keep jobs in Wisconsin when this happened:
Chrysler to close Wisconsin engine plant in October | Reuters

Toppling SUV sales sink GM Janesville plant - JSOnline

Isn't it the job of elected officials supposed to be to work with corporations to try to save jobs from being transferred to foreigners?

What ever happened to the Obama initiative to fine or punish corporateers who outsource jobs in America? The republican party killed it, like most other initiatives produced by the left wing.

Politicians are not working for us, neither party, left or right.

And, the entitlements scorned earlier in this thread? Tell that to people who depend on these so called entitlements. Is it really defined as an entitlement when you and everybody's brother and sister have paid into it? IMO, NO. And, there's been welfare fraud and abuses ever since the beginning of so called entitlements. It's nothing new. So, to the poster/cd member, you think ss benefits are entitlements? Please tell that to the old farts and to people who are honestly disabled, especially after they have had payroll deductions for medicare, etc.. Sounds like a tea pot boiling to me.

Media bias, Fox (not news) is the right wing machine more than MSNBC could hold a candle to.

Show us an an honest politician, and I'll show you that H*LL HAS FROZEN OVER!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Well,

1. Our education system is always at/near the top in terms of ACT scores; we also are among the top in % of kids taking the ACT.

2. Bridges- infrastructure in general- here as EVERYWHERE in the US is in trouble. Creidt one Ronald Wilson Reagan who eliminated Block grants in the 80's, and said 'Government was the problem', so no funds were needed to maintain what we have.

3. Our waters are among the cleanest of the states. The MMSD has problems (goes back to infrastructure spending again), but that is the exception not the rule. And we're also doing more to control AG runoff than are most states- always a major polluter in an area of intensive usage like ours.

4. We lose our jobs to China and Mexico. This has been going on since the Tokyo Round of GATT in 1972. Reason is simple: you cannot compete with workers making cents per hour, if you make dollars per hour.

Feingold voted against NAFTA, GATT, etc. Johnson loves those job-killers- calls it 'Creative destruction.', although it never creates, only destroys.

5. Teachers (even Tech college ones) make less about 60% (on average) of the salary you quote. Very few claim domiciles out of Wisconsin.

6. You'd have to be more specific about the land 'unused', and what its use should be. Stuidies show that for every $1.00 a city gains by new subdivisions out in the cornfields, they have to pay $1.25 to provide services- which is where 'Smart Growth' comes in. Wisconsin has a statewide plan; most states do not.

And look what happens when economies built (like cancer cells on mindless growth) slow:
Nevada, Arizona.
Been there. No thanks.

7.. You may see systemic voter fraud, but nobody else does- even Vince Biskupic, although he played Rove's game and tried to look for some.
But he found none, so (to keep his job) he went after Georgia Thompson (also a much repeated 'No bid' offender). See what that got him.

Meanwhile, the WisDOT estimate that if the Voter ID the GOP loves goes through, 120,000 legal voters in Wisconsin will be disenfranchised.
Most are black, poor, elderly. They vote Democratic, which is precisely why the GOP wants to pass 'Voter Id', a new name for voter surpression, which is the SOP for Republicans.

I can provide court cases which prove this, if you'd like.

Back to no bid:

If you're talking the no bid to the Spanish Comapny for the rail service, that is simple to explain: No US company can perform those operations, anymore, all are kaput, and the Spaniards were the cheapest.

Lastly, Wisconsin is in a depression, just as ALL the US is.

Our unemployment rate is around 7.8%. Low tax states with right to work laws, have much higher rates- some even higher than the US average of 9.6%. (note: both the Wisconsin rate, and the US rate (as well as all other state rates) undercount by 50%, so the true rate is about 20% for the national average- true depression territory.)

So people are angry, and scared. But Wisconsin's Fed Delegation (House and Senate) have been way ahead of Obama in pressing for things that would solve the problem:
A far larger Stimulus( that's how we got out of the 30's Depression); repeal of unfair trade deals.

So our current woes- caused by deregulation and a wealth bubble among the few- is simply not their fault.

Last edited by Geechie North; 10-26-2010 at 08:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin