Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 06:41 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,666 times

Advertisements

I have seen quite a few. I am not saying kill them all. Post was started as tree huggers are going to see DNR killing wolves and will try to sue the state. Yes wolves actually help keep deer herds healthy just as hunters do, by keeping numbers down and disease out. I would love to see a population big enough that we could get a once in lifetime permit to hunt them, but doubt will happen in my lifetime.

Farmers losing cattle may not seem like a big loss but if a good milker and such farmer will get mad.

Some of these that lose dogs are getting paid higher than the actual worth of the dog, but in eyes of the owner they worth so much more.

I can live with wolves in area as long as I still get me some wild game. Wish they take out some of the mange carrying coyotes when they out there also as those are getting plentiful.

I never seen a wolf until the 90's and have seen in total only 12. I am still waiting on seeing a cougar. These are actually getting me more excited as not planted but moving into original areas.

I would though if out doing a SAR exercise or a real search and seen wolf nearby, and felt myself, my dog or my SAR members were in danger better believe I would take it out.

If they get to used to humans and no natural predators and population continues to rise DNR will have to terminate more of them as people even though wolves are not into killing people the fear will be there and people will be calling and saying one was stalking them or such.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times
What areas have you seen wolves, DH?

Old 09-29-2010, 11:11 PM

Taylor county on my own land.
2 in area did Search and recovery was in Glen Flora east side of county that run on county forest land.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:04 AM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I have seen quite a few. I am not saying kill them all. Post was started as tree huggers are going to see DNR killing wolves and will try to sue the state. Yes wolves actually help keep deer herds healthy just as hunters do, by keeping numbers down and disease out. I would love to see a population big enough that we could get a once in lifetime permit to hunt them, but doubt will happen in my lifetime.

Farmers losing cattle may not seem like a big loss but if a good milker and such farmer will get mad.

Some of these that lose dogs are getting paid higher than the actual worth of the dog, but in eyes of the owner they worth so much more.

I can live with wolves in area as long as I still get me some wild game. Wish they take out some of the mange carrying coyotes when they out there also as those are getting plentiful.

I never seen a wolf until the 90's and have seen in total only 12. I am still waiting on seeing a cougar. These are actually getting me more excited as not planted but moving into original areas.

I would though if out doing a SAR exercise or a real search and seen wolf nearby, and felt myself, my dog or my SAR members were in danger better believe I would take it out.

If they get to used to humans and no natural predators and population continues to rise DNR will have to terminate more of them as people even though wolves are not into killing people the fear will be there and people will be calling and saying one was stalking them or such.
That's called 'irrational fear', and is not the wolf's problem, but the human's.

We have something in common, and something not in common:

I too have been on SAR Ops.

But if you use one as a pretense for wolf hunting, I sure hope they fine the hell out of you.

If a farmer has a loss of livestock, the state will compensate him/her.

If a farmer lets his cows overnight in pasture or roam the woods in an area claimed by a pack, then that farmer is dumb.

If you want an efficient coyote-management program, that is called a 'Wolf-Pack'.

Reason why coyotes moved their traditional range East was due to the elimination of the wolf from the eco-system.

Otherwise, have a good one.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:10 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,378 times
Will they kill small children?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:40 AM

146 posts, read 388,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Wolves are usually very scared to go near humans so I would be really shocked if that ever happened. Humans are not really on their menu.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmuch69 View Post
Wolf-dog hybrids are very unpredictable, more commonly encountered (people keep 'em as pets- at least until they rip someone's buttock off) than the mostly nocturnal, reclusive wolf.

That's probably danger #1.

Danger #2 is probably the urban coyote, which has lost its fear of humans.

See one of them, you grab the kid.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:11 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
So...hunters' dogs used to kill bear are being killed by wolves, seems to have some amount of ironic justice there. Maybe the hunters should run out into the woods and tree the bears themselves if they are that concerned about their dogs.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:31 PM

[quote=Geechie North;16090601]That's called 'irrational fear', and is not the wolf's problem, but the human's.

But if you use one as a pretense for wolf hunting, I sure hope they fine the hell out of you.

It was the DNR that wanted to kill them if moved into our search area.
The irrational fear is what will get TV cameras going as make news in which will make DNR look bad for killing them.

notmuch69..... Wolves are highly unlikely to attack a human if food around unless totally sick and malnourished (most likely a loner then also)I do not see them attacking. You do hear stories of people being chased and some bit but not killed.

Wolf hybrids kept as pets would be most dangerous as yes always going to have the wild instinct and if feels threatened will attack. I would be more afraid of them than a wild wolf also. Wolf in wild may look at us and say meal or not? If make noise and not move like game ( I know us hunters try to stay quiet while stalking game) they will keep away.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:35 PM

[quote=dreamhunter65;16095057]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
That's called 'irrational fear', and is not the wolf's problem, but the human's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

It was the DNR that wanted to kill them if moved into our search area.
The irrational fear is what will get TV cameras going as make news in which will make DNR look bad for killing them.
I'm sorry, I just do not believe you, based upon personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: