U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 AM

113 posts, read 284,610 times

Advertisements

I don't really care about the governor's race. I think the candidates are both flawed.
The Senate race bothers me for a couple of reasons. One, i have no idea what this Ron Johnson guy really stands for. I know this is typical of political campaigns, but Johnson's has been particularly devoid of any substance. I guess you can just say "Obama-Pelosi, and Government takeover of healthcare" (which I am pretty sure it wasn't) and count on buzzwords to get elected, but I think it would be hard to govern with buzzwords. Maybe i am wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 AM

4,465 posts, read 7,334,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
I guess you can just say "Obama-Pelosi, and Government takeover of healthcare" (which I am pretty sure it wasn't) and count on buzzwords to get elected, but I think it would be hard to govern with buzzwords. Maybe i am wrong.
I wish it was a 'Government' takeover of healthcare, as that was what was promised.

And, of course, the jive about 'Obamacare' forgets the fact that the day after the deal on health care was decided in the Senate, the stock of EVERY Health Care company rose.

However, the real problem is with, 'We the people.', and our lack of knowledge about anything but sports and the 'Jersey Shore.'

As these are our first true auctions (vs elections), it might be time to consider Franklin's warning, and how it has come to pass.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:38 AM

6,021 posts, read 7,241,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FryGuy View Post
I don't really care about the governor's race. I think the candidates are both flawed.
The Senate race bothers me for a couple of reasons. One, i have no idea what this Ron Johnson guy really stands for. I know this is typical of political campaigns, but Johnson's has been particularly devoid of any substance. I guess you can just say "Obama-Pelosi, and Government takeover of healthcare" (which I am pretty sure it wasn't) and count on buzzwords to get elected, but I think it would be hard to govern with buzzwords. Maybe i am wrong.
i watched something on one of the PBS channels sunday afternoon and the guy broke down ron johnson lawyers-manufactuers ad and pointed out there were and are others who have been in the manufacturing-engeneering field who is currently in politics

Old 10-18-2010, 12:15 PM

113 posts, read 284,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
i watched something on one of the PBS channels sunday afternoon and the guy broke down ron johnson lawyers-manufactuers ad and pointed out there were and are others who have been in the manufacturing-engeneering field who is currently in politics
I know there is this nationwide disdain for lawyers (or anyone with education and seen as 'elite'), but I was actually surprised with the number of 57 lawyers. I thought it would be more. For a body whose sole purpose for existence is to write laws, I don't think 57% lawyers is too terrible.
Now I don't see how manufacturing automatically qualifies you to be a legislator. Congress doesn't produce anything (who would buy it?) and regardless of what people think or might like, the United States cannot be run as a for-profit corporation. Many people come to Washington and think 'anyone can do this' and quickly find Congress to be a maze of complicated rules, deal-making and parliamentary procedure. Many of these people then are at the mercy of lobbyists and staffers to get anything done with obvious consequences.
While we deride our representatives, being a good legislator takes considerable skill and experience. To get rid of one who has both has the potential to put your district/state at a significant disadvantage. It should be done for a good reason (I am not saying, whether or not a reason exists in this case). It will always be business as usual in DC, it just matter who has the power. The people we elect, or unelected lobbyists who are beholden to God knows whom...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin