Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,769 times

Advertisements

I don't think Watertown is "dumpy", but I suppose it depends on your standards. There's not a part of Watertown that is unsafe or sketchy, in my opinion, but it's definitely a different feeling than Oconomowoc.

Now I'm going to tell you where you should really be looking- Johnson Creek. With tons of open lots in suburbs and plenty of opportunities for rural living, you'll get a great location for a great price. The town has all you could need (except a grocery store). With the new school referendum that recently passed, I think Creek will soon be exploding with new businesses and new houses.

As a graduate of Johnson Creek High School, I can tell you it's hard to find a better staff to student ratio. If you're looking for a great school experience for your kids with teachers that actually care, Creek is a great option.

Can't say enough positive things about the area! I've lived in Green Bay, Quito (Ecuador) and Madrid (Spain), so I'd like to think I have some perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 09:55 PM

711 posts, read 1,689,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhombsch29 View Post
Johnson Creek. With tons of open lots in suburbs and plenty of opportunities for rural living
It's an exurb of Milwaukee and Madison, people have a pretty clear idea... geeze, are you a developer selling lots?

Old 08-06-2014, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 3,769 times
Nope, just a college student with a good vocabulary

Old 08-12-2014, 06:06 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
As a native of Watertown who has lived in other parts of Wisconsin, abroad, Texas, and now in Albuquerque, I have to say that the implication that only Wisconsin hicks who have never lived anywhere else would think Watertown is a nice town is spurious. Watertown is a tidy, pretty town. Every time I go back, and I go back a couple of times a year, I am touched by the natural beauty of the place. People have pride of ownership in their homes, and the simplest houses are well-kept with nice gardens and lawns.

I love the historic buildings and homes. I love Riverfest and fish fries. Sadly, the downtown has deteriorated, but that has happened in almost every town and city in the USA because of big box stores and outlet malls as you will find in the soulless Johnson Creek that some folks here keep touting.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:51 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
As a native of Watertown who has lived in other parts of Wisconsin, abroad, Texas, and now in Albuquerque, I have to say that the implication that only Wisconsin hicks who have never lived anywhere else would think Watertown is a nice town is spurious. Watertown is a tidy, pretty town. Every time I go back, and I go back a couple of times a year, I am touched by the natural beauty of the place. People have pride of ownership in their homes, and the simplest houses are well-kept with nice gardens and lawns.

I love the historic buildings and homes. I love Riverfest and fish fries. Sadly, the downtown has deteriorated, but that has happened in almost every town and city in the USA because of big box stores and outlet malls as you will find in the soulless Johnson Creek that some folks here keep touting.
Comparing Watertown to Oconomowoc for the OP: Watertown's downtown is less attractive than Oconomowoc's and there is one geographical area of "concern" regarding crime in Watertown that Oconomowoc does not seem to have...I don't have direct knowledge of this but my hubby's best friend has lived in Watertown for the past 15 years and has talked about it. Oconomowoc's downtown is still looking good in spite of the big box factor.

Watertown is closer to Madison and Oconomowoc is closer to Milwaukee. Commutes can matter.

Oconomowoc has more lakes and thus more and varied local water recreational opportunities.

Oconomowoc is harder to spell but gets you some laughs from those trying.

Both areas are nice IMO. And both have soul.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:12 PM

1,961 posts, read 2,253,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pccasab View Post
DH has a job opportunity in Oconomowoc, and we have been looking within a 30-mile radius of that locale for rental housing, our choices being somewhat limited due to the fact that we have a large dog (German Shepherd).

The manager at the new job told DH that we should "stay away from Watertown" as it is a "dump." Indeed, if you look at school performance ratings for Watertown on education.com and greatschools.org, they rank lower than many other communities in the same region between Milwaukee and Madison. However, this could be from many factors, I am sure.

Coming from a large metro area in the South (Memphis, Tenn.), we see a stark dichotomy in school quality depending on where one lives. We mainly want our kids in good schools with decent, friendly people. For us, the schools don't have to be full of rich kids nor have a star athletic program; we just want to be around decent people and for our kids to get a quality education from teachers and administrators who care. Our kids are small, so extracurricular activities are not a consideration right now.

So should we still stay away from Watertown if the above is what we are looking for? I am thinking that possibly it is not as bad as it has been made out to be. What about living in the part of Ixonia that is zoned for Watertown schools?

We have visited the general area, by the way, but were short on time and did not visit Watertown itself; wish we had.

Any input would be appreciated.
For schools definitely Oconomowoc over Watertown. Not because Watertown is bad but because Oconomowoc is so good.

Do you have a Canine Good Citizen on your GSD? That might go a long way towards getting you a rental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin