Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 PM

3 posts, read 27,745 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I'm stupid for trusting a stranger and thinking it would "be okay" but I did it, now I need help..
In September a gentleman, or lack there of.. moved into a trailer house that I have on my property. In exchange for rent we agreed that he could "set up" the trailer in exchange for rent.. i.e. Install plumbing, electrical, leveling things like that. Well we initally we agreed on 1 month rent free, then when he brought me a stack of "receipts" (which a lot were bogus) and said it took him 140 hours of work to set up the trailer.. I agreed to give him another month rent free @ 500.00/mo. Well he came to me tonight and wants another month free.. And I said NO that I could've paid someone to set up the trailer and been ahead.. Well he started screaming at me and said that he is going to sue me and "have fun evicting me".. and walked out. We have no agreement on paper, its just a month to month agreement. Can I kick him out, or do I have to go through the eviction process... I am a single mom and desperately need the money, so I dunno what to do.. Eat another month or kick his ass out. He lied to me about having unemployment, and has NO income, besides selling tree bows.. Someone please give me some advice
-Distraught mommy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:53 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,575,724 times
You might want to call your local police department and tell them what you've told us. Maybe its as easy as coming to your place and tossing the bum out, or it might include something more.

Call and talk with them. I'm sure they can lead you in the right direction.

Last edited by RedJacket; 11-04-2010 at 12:01 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:58 AM

164 posts, read 557,120 times
I agree, talk to the sheriff. I don't believe verbal agreements work for leases, especially with no monetary rent invloved, so unless he is holding up his end of the contract, he may be considered a squatter. Consider it a good lesson learned.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:50 PM

I called the sheriffs department and they said that I can have him served with papers to vacate the premises in 5, 10, or 30 days. If he doesn't leave then I can go to the clerk of courts to start the eviction process, it should take less than 30 days to evict him. He wants to meet to discuss the rent, am really don't want him here anymore but I really need the money. Part of me thinks, whats to say in December (when he wants to pay) he doesn't come up with rent and then I'll be out another month of rent. He is paying a fair amount for rent because of his animals, should I have him sign a statement that he will pay 500.00 on Dec. 1st for rent, so If I do go to court I have at least that? Any suggestions?

Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM

105 posts, read 356,027 times
Just my two cents.......If a tenant was screaming at me, and saying "Have fun evicting me"...I wouldn't want him for a tenant. And, I know you say you need the $ but if he doesn't really work..... how will he pay you? I think your choices are to let him live there and perhaps not get paid....or get him out now......because you will probably end up evicting him one way or the other. However....you could print off and have him sign a lease agreement - and get a deposit!

On the other hand.....140 hours is alot of time and what were the costs of product? Did you pay him for that?
Do you think he really spent over 3 solid weeks working on it, and is it alot nicer now?
Even at a low wage per hour...that would have cost you way more than 1000.00 if you had hired someone.
So...do what's fair.

Last edited by catfeathers; 11-04-2010 at 01:21 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,575,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernwisconsinwoman View Post
I called the sheriffs department and they said that I can have him served with papers to vacate the premises in 5, 10, or 30 days. If he doesn't leave then I can go to the clerk of courts to start the eviction process, it should take less than 30 days to evict him. He wants to meet to discuss the rent, am really don't want him here anymore but I really need the money. Part of me thinks, whats to say in December (when he wants to pay) he doesn't come up with rent and then I'll be out another month of rent. He is paying a fair amount for rent because of his animals, should I have him sign a statement that he will pay 500.00 on Dec. 1st for rent, so If I do go to court I have at least that? Any suggestions?
I'd get rid of the guy and move on. He's already proven himself to be an a@@hole.

If you're having troubles renting the place, try lowering the rent for now. Go to Craigslist and advertise it there. Be flexible and allow for monthly rental agreements, or longer.

You can get rental forms here.

http://wilawlibrary.gov/topics/landlord.php

Old 11-04-2010, 03:09 PM

164 posts, read 557,120 times
I might be missing something here, but why don't you put the lease in writing? Is it to avoid going through your jurisdiction's process for approving the property for rental? Written contracts protect both parties and make dispute resolution much easier.
I agree with the others, at this point it might be better to cut your losses and start fresh with a new tenant.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfeathers View Post
Just my two cents.......If a tenant was screaming at me, and saying "Have fun evicting me"...I wouldn't want him for a tenant. And, I know you say you need the $ but if he doesn't really work..... how will he pay you? I think your choices are to let him live there and perhaps not get paid....or get him out now......because you will probably end up evicting him one way or the other. However....you could print off and have him sign a lease agreement - and get a deposit!

On the other hand.....140 hours is alot of time and what were the costs of product? Did you pay him for that?
Do you think he really spent over 3 solid weeks working on it, and is it alot nicer now?
Even at a low wage per hour...that would have cost you way more than 1000.00 if you had hired someone.
So...do what's fair.
He SAID he worked 140 hours on it, I know darn well he didn't. I had someone come out and give me an estimate on how long it would take to do the job (1 person) he estimated about 5 (8 Hr) days.. About 40 hrs. I was down there for a majority of the work and he even admitted himself it took 1 day to set up the plumbing, 1 day for electrical etc.. It was about 7 days, which I wouldve been okay with.. anyone can draw out a job to use it to their advantage.

I know I shouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially after he screamed at me, there was NO respect there and that is NO way to treat you landlord. He doesn't have money so nothing will probably change in the next month or so. I should've gotten it in writing, but I really would prefer not to because I am doing this "under the table" Now before someone jumps all over me for doing this.. My insurance would go sky high and my taxes. I will report it next year I just have been holding off until I get on my feet. I bought this big house with my fiance' who flew the coop a few months ago leaving all the bills and mortgage in my name and a young son to take care of alone. I a 5 1/2 hrs from my family and know nobody up here except my ex's family who doesn't care for me nor willing to help much. You see, I would prefer to do things the legal way but I just cannot afford it now. So please don't get on my case about it, I just am trying to get by these winter months out in the middle of nowhere.
When I spoke with the police today, they said it was better that I didn't have a lease agreement because with a lease agreement its a longer procedure than a month to month agreement.
Thanks for you insights!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: