Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:31 PM

25,581 posts, read 56,471,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Why would anyone believe any US 'news' source?

http://www.2dca.org/opinions/Opinion...3/2D01-529.pdf

That is the 'controlling' case, as they say.
There was a time, when I was growing up, when you could believe the news. It was factual and unbiased. Journalists had a code of ethics.

Sadly, that was long, long ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Feingold has been viewed as a maverick and Wisconsin has a long tradition of voting for mavericks. See “Fighting Bob” La Follette.
Right wing talk radio, sneering at a smart Harvard 'elite' graduate with an impressive command of the issues, diminishing the 'maverick' nature of Feingold, saying he was only a maverick when his wasn't the deciding vote. Wisconsin is becoming a hick state. Bring on the flannel shirts and the guys just like 'you and me.' Ron Johnson, not an original idea in his head - who is hardly like you and me and could care less about you and me.

Russ Feingold did not deserve this.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-08-2010 at 04:51 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Feingold did not deserve this.
His stubborn refusal to take certain types of campaign contributions led many network commentators to practically say he brought the loss on himself. He was effectively running a media campaign with one hand tied behind his back, since his opponent didn't adhere to the same principles.

I remember the same types of comments by network pundits back in '04, when he narrowly won re-election back then. That was a tough year for Democrats, too.

I'm not in Wisconsin anymore, so mine is an outsider's perspective. I do remember his stunning primary win back in 1992, when he ran a low-key campaign with commercials that featured him holding his hand up to the camera to represent the outline of the state and pointing to the spot on his hand/state where the commercial was taking place. Those were some of the best campaign spots I had ever seen. In retrospect, I think they portrayed Feingold as much friendlier and light-hearted than he really was.

I also remember how it was a point of pride for his campaign that he had the outline of Wisconsin painted on the garage door of his home in Middleton, back in those early days.

Anyone think Herb Kohl would have suffered the same fate if he had been up for re-election in this cycle?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
His stubborn refusal to take certain types of campaign contributions led many network commentators to practically say he brought the loss on himself. He was effectively running a media campaign with one hand tied behind his back, since his opponent didn't adhere to the same principles.

I remember the same types of comments by network pundits back in '04, when he narrowly won re-election back then. That was a tough year for Democrats, too.

I'm not in Wisconsin anymore, so mine is an outsider's perspective. I do remember his stunning primary win back in 1992, when he ran a low-key campaign with commercials that featured him holding his hand up to the camera to represent the outline of the state and pointing to the spot on his hand/state where the commercial was taking place. Those were some of the best campaign spots I had ever seen. In retrospect, I think they portrayed Feingold as much friendlier and light-hearted than he really was.

I also remember how it was a point of pride for his campaign that he had the outline of Wisconsin painted on the garage door of his home in Middleton, back in those early days.

Anyone think Herb Kohl would have suffered the same fate if he had been up for re-election in this cycle?
Interesting comments.

So, true. Russ is a victim of his own principles. Politics is a dirty, nasty business, especially these days, and nice guys finish last. Of course, if Russ had taken the money, he would have been hoist on his own petard for not walking the talk. I'll bet he weighed the idea and decided he shouldn't risk it. I'm about to cry thinking about this. Such a loss for the state. The debates were so black and white, but if people didn't watch they didn't see it. Those DC pols are going to eat Ron Johnson for lunch and Wisconsin will suffer.

Herbie? I don't know. He is really an icon. Before Herb Kohl ever went into politics, I met him many times at the grocery stores his family owned - before they became a nationwide brand department store. He would stand at the door and greet customers. I'm there with my 3-yr old in the shopping cart, and we are chatting away. Many times. Met him at the State Fair, ran into him down at the Pfister coffee shop often. He liked to go there Sunday afternoons. Talked with him at the Pfister two Christmases ago after a holiday lunch. He is omnipresent. I don't think he would have lost this year. But, next election - if he runs, depending on the mood of the country - who knows. He's getting pretty old, too. 75 this year. So, possibly. I bet he won't run again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin