U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,332 times

Advertisements

Hello. We're preparing for a move from CA to WI, job related. I've done as much research as I can online, through some people we know in WI and a visit to Milwaukee, Madison, etc...once. We know it's going to be a huge change for us and we're ready, willing and able, but I would love to get more info from those who live in WI or have lived there. I've read/heard a mix of different things, some good, some bad. Not sure what to make of it. The cold and winter months will be a challenge, but I've lived in MO for a few years as a child. I've had a taste of the midwest and am looking forward to going back to the simpler life. Hubby has lived in TX for a bit, but basically CA all his life. We won't have any family or friends there, just a few co-workers of hubby's. We're in our 40's and are private, hard-working people who enjoy a peaceful, drama-free lifestyle to really appreciate the simple and little things in life. We're not sure where to settle because of lack of knowledge of the areas. Preferably, within a short or decent driving distance from the office in Milwaukee. Are there good areas outside of Milwaukee County that are family-oriented, diverse and with great schools? I've heard about the high property taxes in some locations. Any advice, suggestions or opinions will be be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 09:56 PM

8,158 posts, read 20,766,321 times
A few questions to help us with some advice. Where will MKE(milwaukee) office be? are you looking for suburb or quiet city neighborhood? where do you want to live, what kind of people or places do you want to live near?

All of Milw's suburbs are very safe and clean and have good schools. The "near" northside is one of the rough sides of town and also the near south side. Not all south side or northside is bad, just ask for specific areas.

Diverse? what kind of diversity are you looking for? Milwaukee county has some great suburbs so I wouldn't rule out living in Milwaukee County, IE St.Francis is a very simple and very clean, safe and quiet suburb close to downtown

Here are a few of my favorite suburbs around MKE, Grafton, Greendale, Shorewood, Fox Point, Whitefish Bay, Wauwatosa(Tosa), Brown Deer.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
A few questions to help us with some advice. Where will MKE(milwaukee) office be? are you looking for suburb or quiet city neighborhood? where do you want to live, what kind of people or places do you want to live near?

All of Milw's suburbs are very safe and clean and have good schools. The "near" northside is one of the rough sides of town and also the near south side. Not all south side or northside is bad, just ask for specific areas.

Diverse? what kind of diversity are you looking for? Milwaukee county has some great suburbs so I wouldn't rule out living in Milwaukee County, IE St.Francis is a very simple and very clean, safe and quiet suburb close to downtown

Here are a few of my favorite suburbs around MKE, Grafton, Greendale, Shorewood, Fox Point, Whitefish Bay, Wauwatosa(Tosa), Brown Deer.
Thank you, Milwaukee City! The office will be in downtown Milwaukee. The suburbs with parks would be nice. We love the water, so near Lake Michigan or other lakes is a plus. We're basically looking for a place away from the hustle and bustle of the city, with a collection of various people that are family oriented and friendly. A town/city of 25K+ is ideal. We like going out to eat, movies and sporting events. Was thinking of St. Francis, Wauwautosa and Port Washington. Is Waukesha good? How about Port Washington, Pewaukee and Muskego? We'll have to look up your suggestions.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,927 times
mjzma,

I moved from San Diego to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin over 10 years ago with my family. As for the cold, yes, it's quite the shock right away if you come in the winter. It took me a couple years to get used to it, I mean come on, we were at the beach on Thansgiving...today its 30 degrees outside and there were flurries this morning. But, you get used to it. The people are much nicer here. And anyone that hasn't lived in California wouldn't get that. Guess it's something you will have to see for yourself.

After I graduated from college, I lived in Waukesha for a year, and if you are looking for quiet, I guess it all depends on exactly where you live there, but it's not a quiet city...of the cities you talkeda bout, I'd guess Port Washington is simple and quiet as well as Saukville, but then again you are getting a little bit aways from the city...Menomonee Falls and Germantown are nice too.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pskbro View Post
mjzma,

I moved from San Diego to Fond du Lac, Wisconsin over 10 years ago with my family. As for the cold, yes, it's quite the shock right away if you come in the winter. It took me a couple years to get used to it, I mean come on, we were at the beach on Thansgiving...today its 30 degrees outside and there were flurries this morning. But, you get used to it. The people are much nicer here. And anyone that hasn't lived in California wouldn't get that. Guess it's something you will have to see for yourself.

After I graduated from college, I lived in Waukesha for a year, and if you are looking for quiet, I guess it all depends on exactly where you live there, but it's not a quiet city...of the cities you talkeda bout, I'd guess Port Washington is simple and quiet as well as Saukville, but then again you are getting a little bit aways from the city...Menomonee Falls and Germantown are nice too.
Thank you, Pskbro! The weather change will take some adjustment, but you just have to adapt. Right? I do miss the snow, the 4 distinctive seasons and being bundled up as a kid. You're right about the beach on Thanksgiving. This year, it's a lot cooler. We're having 40 & 30 degrees weather with some rain. The mountains are 20+ degrees with snow! I definitely know what you mean about people being nicer. When we were in WI before for a visit, you can feel and see the difference. It's interesting how every state and corners of each place has their own culture and lifestyle, even within CA. I guess we'll have to spend more time looking around WI once we get there and decide from there.....The best thing is to be there. Thanks again!

Old 11-23-2010, 02:44 PM

2,747 posts, read 439,294 times
I don't know much about the Milwaukee area, as I live in the northwoods, but have visited the area. My sister used to live in Germantown and I remember that as being a very nice area.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrthwdswmn View Post
I don't know much about the Milwaukee area, as I live in the northwoods, but have visited the area. My sister used to live in Germantown and I remember that as being a very nice area.
Thanks Nrthwdswmn! Every bit of information sure makes it better. We'll have to explore as much as possible once we get there. I heard Germantown was a nice place too. How do you like the Northwoods?

Old 02-12-2011, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,268 times
I live in the Village of Saukville on the Milwaukee River .A quiet 3,000 population and half hour drive to Milwaukee from hwy 43 easy to get to and from Milwaukee our two girls go to college one at Miad and other drives to UWM . Homes here on the River in Saukville are going for about 125,000 and up great view and you should love it in Saukville Port Washington is nice also slightly higher in price but I find the River is just what you need to hear & be relaxed after a hard day of work.. and fish every now and then cat fish are great catch here at night...best to you always, B
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin