Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 AM

132 posts, read 278,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
First of all, I too have to pay for your choice since most major roads in Wisconsin receive federal funding--not to mention I too pay state gas taxes whenever I come home to visit. Second of all, transportation infrastructure is a public good, meaning that the benefit isn't solely captured in the bottom line of a balance sheet. Rather, the benefits come in the form of development along the corridor and increased commerce, connectivity, etc among the communities served by the rail line. In fact, all modes of transportation are subsidized by government. If you can't catch on, air travel is very relevant since your argument is based on the benefits of rail relative to the benefits of other transportation.

As far as "your" taxes, unless you somehow become a monarch or happen to own an entire length of highway--it's not just YOUR infrastructure or YOUR tax dollars. Those funds are for the PUBLIC's benefit.
That is correct on the federal funds for federal roads, you want to have a federal system run through the state of Wisconsin then pay for it with federal funds.

when it cost My State taxes to run this operation after the federal funds have dried up then yes it is my state taxes. I have yet to see any government led project come in on budget or on time where we going to get the extra funds?

About your paying state taxes for using gas here once again your choice you decided to come here I sure didn't ask you. and once again this is Wisconsin state taxes (once the federal funds dry up to run this operation) we are talking about SO IT IS FOR THE WISCONSIN TAX PAYING PUBLIC. Hint you want to spend our state tax dollars then pay state income taxes don't even get me started about stealing taxes for the gas tax to pay for your low speed train system..

once again you bring up this topic of air travel I really don"t want to discuss this because the title of this thread is TRAIN FUNDING. You want to talk air travel then start a topic on that otherwise you are just pissing up a stream sort of like Apples and Oranges you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 10:10 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorey View Post
That is correct on the federal funds for federal roads, you want to have a federal system run through the state of Wisconsin then pay for it with federal funds.

when it cost My State taxes to run this operation after the federal funds have dried up then yes it is my state taxes. I have yet to see any government led project come in on budget or on time where we going to get the extra funds?

About your paying state taxes for using gas here once again your choice you decided to come here I sure didn't ask you. and once again this is Wisconsin state taxes (once the federal funds dry up to run this operation) we are talking about SO IT IS FOR THE WISCONSIN TAX PAYING PUBLIC. Hint you want to spend our state tax dollars then pay state income taxes don't even get me started about stealing taxes for the gas tax to pay for your low speed train system..

once again you bring up this topic of air travel I really don"t want to discuss this because the title of this thread is TRAIN FUNDING. You want to talk air travel then start a topic on that otherwise you are just pissing up a stream sort of like Apples and Oranges you know.
Why are you so obsessed with air travel?

Anyways-again you have no right to tell me what I can and cannot expect. Also I doubt that anyone appointed you as the spokesperson of the state has tax fund. That train was supposed to be part of a NATIONAL system. Not everyone shares your same travel behavior, so your rather selfish reasoning hardly qualities as a rational argument based on facts and research. If you gave a hard time living in a society-then I suggest you isolate yourself in a small cabin in Montana where your opinion can matter the most...

Old 12-11-2010, 10:23 PM

One last thing-bids from construction companies have been coming in significantly lower then estimated costs since the financial crash-as there has been a dramatic drop in demand for construction services. But then again-I'm sure you knew that since it's YOUR state and all.

Also, most construction projects finish on time. The Marquette Interchange reconstruction project, which was more expensive than the rail project, yet generates no revenue like rail does from ticket sales - was completed early and under budget.

And one last hole in restorey's selfish argument-the state provides matching funds for federal highway projects-usually 10%-20% of total costs...kinda like the proposed, but now defunct rail line.

But I know, your trump card is "I don't wanna..."

Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,928,216 times
I moved from Colorado recently and can tell you Denvers' rail system is the biggest financial mistake ever made! For the last 6 years I've driven by it twice daily. It's always running and always empy, except for the thugs who get free passes through govt. assistance programs. Since they lose money every year, the cost gets passed onto the honest hard-working tax payers.

Do you really think people will flock to buy an overpriced ticket on a train to go from Milwaukee to Madison when they can drive cheaper, faster, and on their own schedule? We are already the highest taxed state in the nation...lets not be stupid anymore, ok?
The Gov made the right call on this one and there'll be lots more screaming from the entitleists and state workers nursing off taxpayers when the really big cuts come down the pike.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Why are you so obsessed with air travel?

Anyways-again you have no right to tell me what I can and cannot expect. Also I doubt that anyone appointed you as the spokesperson of the state has tax fund. That train was supposed to be part of a NATIONAL system. Not everyone shares your same travel behavior, so your rather selfish reasoning hardly qualities as a rational argument based on facts and research. If you gave a hard time living in a society-then I suggest you isolate yourself in a small cabin in Montana where your opinion can matter the most...
S-W you were the one to first mention air travel, and you keep mentioning it, we are talking about trains. you still have not answered my question. Who appointed me as spokes person, no one but who appointed you spokes person for what Wisconsin needs? If you want to tell us what we need then move your self up here pay your state taxes and then you also can have a voice in how they are spent, other wise pay more attention to your own state taxes and don't tell us we need to spend our taxes on it. IF this is suppose to be national then make it a national project and don't leave the states on the hook for the failures of the federal government. as for having to move to Montana why the heck would I want to do that when i live in Wisconsin. have a nice day

Old 12-12-2010, 07:43 AM

Quote:
S-W you were the one to first mention air travel, and you keep mentioning it, we are talking about trains. you still have not answered my question. Who appointed me as spokes person, no one but who appointed you spokes person for what Wisconsin needs? If you want to tell us what we need then move your self up here pay your state taxes and then you also can have a voice in how they are spent, other wise pay more attention to your own state taxes and don't tell us we need to spend our taxes on it. IF this is suppose to be national then make it a national project and don't leave the states on the hook for the failures of the federal government. as for having to move to Montana why the heck would I want to do that when i live in Wisconsin. have a nice day
So basically your argument is rooted in your personal preference in travel mode and me no longer living in Wisconsin. Well I grew up in Wisconsin, went to Madison for college, and still have a lot of loved ones in Wisconsin - so no, I may not live there but I still care because it's my home state. I want to see my home state do better economically bedside that means a lot of my family and friends may do better as well. I know that's kind of counter to your "me, me, me" outlook on politics and life.

You ready need to grasp the concept of federal transportation funding because your arguments are very flawed. Do you realize that the state is on the hook for upkeep of federal roads, like interstates? Do you realize that most of the time, it's the feds who are on the hook for any failures by states? Most importantly, do you realize that the Madison-Milwaukee project was going to be a vital extension of the third-most traveled rail service in the country-the Hiawatha?

Old 12-12-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
So basically your argument is rooted in your personal preference in travel mode and me no longer living in Wisconsin. Well I grew up in Wisconsin, went to Madison for college, and still have a lot of loved ones in Wisconsin - so no, I may not live there but I still care because it's my home state. I want to see my home state do better economically bedside that means a lot of my family and friends may do better as well. I know that's kind of counter to your "me, me, me" outlook on politics and life.

You ready need to grasp the concept of federal transportation funding because your arguments are very flawed. Do you realize that the state is on the hook for upkeep of federal roads, like interstates? Do you realize that most of the time, it's the feds who are on the hook for any failures by states? Most importantly, do you realize that the Madison-Milwaukee project was going to be a vital extension of the third-most traveled rail service in the country-the Hiawatha?
So basically because you went to UW Madison, and you lived in the past in Wisconsin you feel you have a right to tell the people that are currently living in WISCONSIN, PAYING TAXES IN WISCONSIN what we should do with Our state taxes.

Hey know what That is why we have an election and a fiscally conservative person was elected. One of the planks in his platrform was to stop this he got elected point blank THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN WISCONSIN HAVE DECIDED.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So basically because you went to UW Madison, and you lived in the past in Wisconsin you feel you have a right to tell the people that are currently living in WISCONSIN, PAYING TAXES IN WISCONSIN what we should do with Our state taxes.

Hey know what That is why we have an election and a fiscally conservative person was elected. One of the planks in his platrform was to stop this he got elected point blank THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE THAT LIVE IN WISCONSIN HAVE DECIDED.
You're damn right that I have a right to express my opinion and judging by your myopic, self-centered arguments, your views on this issue have proven to be unfounded. Yeah-"the people" have spoken, so I guess I'll leave it to the people to suffer the consequences of diminished potential. But just remember that next time you hop on a major road, it was paid for by Americans from Hawaii to Maine...all because we love you...

Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
You're damn right that I have a right to express my opinion and judging by your myopic, self-centered arguments, your views on this issue have proven to be unfounded. Yeah-"the people" have spoken, so I guess I'll leave it to the people to suffer the consequences of diminished potential. But just remember that next time you hop on a major road, it was paid for by Americans from Hawaii to Maine...all because we love you...
I am neither Damned nor ever questioned your rights(I gave up too many years of my life to defend your rights to speak and so that other people have the same right to speak.)

We love you here in Wisconsin also, now come back visit real soon and drop some more of your taxes into OUR HIGHWAYS. and the title of this thread in case you need some help with the big words is
City-Data Forum > (see this is the whole forum group) U.S. Forums > (this is for the Whole U.S)Wisconsin > (see this part to the left right there that is for the state of Wisconsin. Yeah that is right not TEXAS or Georgia BUT WISCONSIN) Feds Yank Train Funding (now this is the really interesting part, that you had a hard time keeping on track but I helped you along the way,with see it says trains you know choo choo (NOT AIRPLANES but trains))
If you were to put it all together now, come on you are almost there you can do it. we were talking the whole time about the federal funding pulling back funds for the low speed train in the state of Wisconsin. You have a nice day now it was fun chatting with you.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
I am neither Damned nor ever questioned your rights(I gave up too many years of my life to defend your rights to speak and so that other people have the same right to speak.)

We love you here in Wisconsin also, now come back visit real soon and drop some more of your taxes into OUR HIGHWAYS. and the title of this thread in case you need some help with the big words is
City-Data Forum > (see this is the whole forum group) U.S. Forums > (this is for the Whole U.S)Wisconsin > (see this part to the left right there that is for the state of Wisconsin. Yeah that is right not TEXAS or Georgia BUT WISCONSIN) Feds Yank Train Funding (now this is the really interesting part, that you had a hard time keeping on track but I helped you along the way,with see it says trains you know choo choo (NOT AIRPLANES but trains))
If you were to put it all together now, come on you are almost there you can do it. we were talking the whole time about the federal funding pulling back funds for the low speed train in the state of Wisconsin. You have a nice day now it was fun chatting with you.
You obviously don't have the ability to debate policy and it shows that you're way out of your league since your arguments are reduced to where all parties reside. When talking about transportation-comparison among different modes is very relevant; especially when demonstrating how one mode compliments our transportation system (planes included). In this increasingly globalized economy, political borders matter less and less, so when taking about a rail line connecting one of the leading research centers in the nation with the third largest urban area in the nation, then the matter becomes an issue of national importance. If you can't see the value in establishing such a vital connection with a transportation mode that uses less fossil fuel per passenger along with cost effective performance, then I'm truly at a loss for words.

I strongly suggest that you read more on a topic so you don't have to resort to childish talking points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin