U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:42 PM

13 posts, read 54,219 times

Advertisements

You would be surprised how many people have drinking and drug problems in these "stick" towns. I guess not many seek help. Thanks though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2007, 04:12 PM

38,705 posts, read 96,242,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acreplus View Post
You would be surprised how many people have drinking and drug problems in these "stick" towns. I guess not many seek help. Thanks though.
No, I'm not surprised by the number of people who have drinking and drug problems in the sticks. I've lived in hayseed towns before and my wife was raised in one; and we know perfectly well that they're rarely the dreamy little Mayberrys as urban folks often romanticize them. My point was that you're not going to get a critical mass of support in places where there simply aren't enough people to form that critical mass.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:04 PM

13 posts, read 54,219 times
No offense taken. I have been very spoiled for the last 20 years by living in an unicorporated area on 2.5 acres with everything I could possibly want available nearby. Sadly for us our neighborhood is going Industrial and we have to move soon. I can't duplicate what I have now in this area (as you know) and we are looking elsewhere. I will try my hardest to accomodate my wants and needs with those of my children. No question, though, as any good parent would, we will choose to live where my children's needs are met first.

PS: I think some people with addictions who live in small towns may go to bigger meetings away from their area to remain anonymous. I wish it wasn't such a stigma for some. My daughter doesn't advertise her addiction but she doesn't hide it when asked what her NA ring or anniversary key rings stand for. She carries them proudly as she should. Bye for now.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,559 times
Default Try Princeton Wi

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreplus View Post
I have been on internet looking at profiles of places in Wisconsin from Beloit to Wisconsin Dells and on realtor.com to get a feel for what homes are available. My husband will be semi-retiring in 1 yr or so. Still not sure where to move. Currently live in Chicago area on 2.5 acres. Space is a must. Have sister in Northwest Wisconsin, but our kids will probably stay in Chicago area when we move. Want to live no further North than possibly Madison area but would consider further North if needed to find perfect location. Want to live in rural area or nice suburb with 1 plus acres. Both husband and I will still need to look for work. Looking for home with land for $200,000 to $300,000 and low property taxes, if such a thing still exists. Want friendly people, low crime and no perverts would be great. We will not have family near and looking for good neighbors and friends. We are nearing 50 years old but young at heart. My husband still rides dirtbikes and looking for places to ride. Near lake would be great too. Would like to take up fishing with our extra time. I like to shop for antiques. Am I asking for too much?
Hi there. If you are still looking, my parents have recently decided to sell their house in Princeton Wi. I have been going there from IL for 30 years and it's a pretty decent town with good people. They have a 3 bedroom house on 70 acres, right in town. I don't have all the property details yet but if you are interested please reply. Thanks!

Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 PM

358 posts, read 787,671 times
Default The move to WI

I think you will be a little suprised at how pricey WI can be to live in. I would expect a $300,000. home will run about $4000. for taxes in a rural area, put it in a city and you will most likely have your taxes double. You will most likely need to stay in the Madison or eastern part of the state to get a decent wage.

There has been some talk from the elected officals about cutting taxes on retirement income but I don't think anything passed yet. They are concerned because the retiree's and collage grads. were moving out of state a little too fast.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:56 PM

1 posts, read 2,318 times
Wink keep looking there are good towns out there

Listen there are still a few nice areas out there . We live in one of them allthought we are a little farther N but not to far. We live in a small town, where people still treat each other like human beans. We are curently selling our almost 3 acer 3 bedroom farmette. for 162,000. However we are not selling due to lack of interest or any type of dislike for the area . But instead are only moving about a mile from here due to a opertunity to build a new long home on family land. We to are in the 40-50 age range . The area is perfectly located just 20 min. from Appleton, Oshkosh ,Waupaca and New London. With many other smaller towns. The Wolf river is about 15 min away from our door for fishing and boating. The snowmobile trails are close for winter rec.And yet is it simply a very nice area. You should consider , we have realatives from both Milwaukee and Chicago that absolutly love it here and visit often. The weather isn't that much different ,any where you go in wis.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:09 AM

1,085 posts, read 3,399,813 times
On the point of newbies not being recieved so well, I think that depends on the newbie, if you are outgoing and friendly you will mesh in anywhere. Take the first step with an outstretched hand and people will welcome you anywhere.

I am not sure about finding meeting in our area, I would think it wouldn't be a problem in Stevens Point or Appleton.

Good luck on your search!

Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 AM

13,211 posts, read 13,141,295 times
Wisconsin passed a law where they no longer tax social security for seniors, which was an issue before they still tax pensions but I didn't find the rate excessively high.

Illinois does not tax pensions but I still left Ill. for Wisconsin because things are cheaper. Real estate taxes, utility rates (of course, depends on where you are in the state), no tax on food, gas prices are cheaper, roads are way better, lots of things.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:29 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,274,937 times
You should know that WI does tax retirees more than other states.

We have relatives who retired from Chicago area to Hartford WI 2 yrs ago. They are thinking of moving back to IL because they estimate they pay WI 4-5 K annually in income tax that they would not pay in IL.

I also know of a few WI residents who moved to Antioch Il to avoid WI income tax as retirees.

These are things to be aware of when you crunch the #'s.

As far as being accepted. Don't sweat it - you will find good people and bad people just like anywhere.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:52 AM

13,211 posts, read 13,141,295 times
Its true, they tax private pensions, but not social security. However, Illinois real estate tax is so much higher than Wisconsin, I look at that as a trade off. I looked at what I got for my money, services, condition of roads, congestion, overall environment, I'd rather pay the taxes and feel like I'm getting something for my money. Where I am living, crime is a minor issue, you cannot say that in Illinois.

Of course, if you have more money it would translate into higher taxes, I'm not paying thousands and thousands in taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin