Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 10:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,354 times

Advertisements

My family and I are moving to the Appleton/ Oshkosh area, and are looking for a safe, friendly neighborhood to start my career. I am a physician that recently completed my residency, and I am starting a new job in the Appleton area. I would not mind a modest commute (even in the snow). I am more concerned with a safe neighborhood that has good schools. My daughter is three years old and will be starting school soon. We are moving from New York City (where I lived for the past 10 years), and I am originally from the Seattle area. So, I have had a wide experience living in smaller to bigger cities, and even suburbs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by keflex; 01-13-2011 at 10:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 04:57 PM

28 posts, read 61,240 times
When are you moving?

Old 01-21-2011, 02:54 AM

280 posts, read 648,205 times
The schools are pretty much all on the same level up and down the Valley, so really all you have to decide is if you want to live in a smaller town or somewhere slightly bigger. But if you're coming from New York I'm not sure you're gonna like it here. I moved back to Wisconsin last year after 5 years in NYC and I'm not sure I could even stand living anywhere besides Milwaukee and even then I still find myself having to adjust.

Old 02-13-2011, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 9,004 times
I am the opposite situation - I grew up in the Oshkosh area and moved to NYC 12 years ago. But my family is still there so I go home to visit several times a year. I now have a family and have considered moving back there and have done reseach on the schools etc. Based on that and what my friends with kids who still live there say, the west side of Oshkosh (zip 54904) has the best schools. Traeger is considered one of the best elementary/middle schools. Also, the west side has really grown in the last decade with some nice houses/properties. One down side is that West High School has A LOT of students. But they also have a lot of programs, college prep courses so I guess you take the good with the bad.

The east side is close/on Lake Winnebago and has some lovely old homes. But all of the development/progress on the west side has taken a toll on the east side. Not many places to shop, eat, etc. In general, Oshkosh is a nice town but to be perfectly honest - it lacks a certain charm. The streets and houses tend to look worn - nothing like you'll find around NYC and suburbs with old tudor houses, brownstones, quaint shops.

Wisconsin as a whole is very outdoorsy - hunting, fishing, snowmobiling which can be quite fun if you're into that sort of thing. Most people I meet when I go back home absolutely cannot understand how I could possibly live in NYC. There is an inordinate amount of pride in coming from Wisconsin and and almost snobbish superiority (it's weird) - like, just because you live in a big city now doesn't impress me.

I don't know much about the Appleton/Neenah area in terms of living there. But Appleton probably has more to offer than Oshkosh. I do know that one little town near both is called Winneconne - has a reputation for an EXCELLENT school system. But it's a very small town, although on the water with some lovely homes. My advice is to check out the Great Schools ratings and this will help you narrow down your search. Good luck!

Old 02-20-2011, 10:20 PM

2 posts, read 13,606 times
I would say almost any where in Appleton to live. It's very safe, I have never had any problems. Appleton Area School District is great, the teachers are super nice only met one or two that were bad. It has a small town atmosphere yet has big city things going for it such as, performing centers and plenty of places to shop.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:06 AM

6 posts, read 32,181 times
I'm not sure how close this is to Oshkosh, but my brother-in-law and sister-in-law live in the Hortonville school district. I've seen the facilities there and they are excellent. Very modern. My nephews love it there. One thing to consider is that when the weather gets bad the Appleton school district will be the last to close/2hr delay. I don't know anything about the city of Oshkosh itself because I have never been there. My brother-in-law works there and he says it's about a half hour drive from his place out in the country near Hortonville.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-18-2011, 11:54 AM

3 posts, read 14,390 times
What about the Oshkosh/Neenah area for schools? I am also in the same situation but leaning more towards Oshkosh area as its closer to Milwaukee? Anyone?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 AM

6 posts, read 32,181 times
Do you have a job lined up in the fox valley? If not I wouldn't subject myself to the two hour commute down to Milwaukee especially in the winter.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:02 PM

5 posts, read 21,174 times
You do not want to do that drive from Oshkosh to Appleton every day. Hwy 41 is HORRIBLE. Right now it is under construction to increase it to a two lane, and they do not plan on being done with this project until 2014 or so. Even if you have experience driving in our awful winters, the roads are still bad. You can never prepare. Appleton is a nice area to raise a family. I have a couple family members who live in Darboy and Kimberly. The only down fall of that area is the paper companies do put a smell in the air every now and then and to me it stinks. I guess you get used to it. Regarding the actual city of Appleton, from my experience the north west side is the best. I would stay west of 41 and north or Wisconsin. The Town of Menasha would be another EXCELLENT place to live.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 21,174 times
I agree, driving from Oshkosh to Milwaukee is horrible. I can't express the amount of time you will spend in traffic jams, driving in horrible winter weather, and more. Oshkosh does have a great school program; however, if you are living in Milwaukee I would look more towards Mequon, Port Washington, Menominee Falls, and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin