Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 02:25 AM

697 posts, read 3,271,828 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
The CD forum has always been my best source of information every move I have made. Well, the time has come to make another move. This time, hopefully, to Central Wisconsin. I may have a job offer working at the Federal Prison in Oxford. I want to take it if I get it. My wife is puling for the same job so that would be even better. Now to the trouble. I know NOTHING of the area north of Madison. My parents live in New Glarus (amazing beer. almost as good as New Belgium here. J/K), so SW Madison is all I know. I need help with the area. PLEASE.

I am moving from the Denver, Colorado (becoming Loco-rado) area and lived in Los Angeles and Las Vegas before that. I am more than okay with a small town, but Oxford is too small. I am looking for a place with something to do and some diversity in restaurants and the such withing 45 minutes or so of Oxford and Madison. What do people know of Wisconsin Dells? Maybe a good place from what I can see. If it's not, tell me otherwise please before I buy a house. I know it's touristy, but I lived in Las Vegas so can handle tourists. I would love... nay, I dream of a place with some land to call my own in a good school district with outdoor recreation abounding. Mainly ATVs and kayaking in the summer and Snowmobiles and snowboarding in the winter.

I guess this is mostly a fishing expedition. I am just fishing for information here. I really have no specific questions yet so please just give me your random views on where I can live and how I will like it. Your responses will spark my curiosity and we can talk more then. Thanks all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 11:02 AM

361 posts, read 856,855 times
You are correct that the Dells are touristy. More so in the summer with the outdoor activities. The winter is fairly calm.

I can't comment on specific restaurants but WI is full of back road, privately owned places with good food. The Dells has some chain places but mainly burger joints.

You will also be very close to the Castle Rock Lake area which has a northwoods feel to it without driving to Northern WI. I think there is plenty of land for sale but I'm not sure how the prices are in that area but I would guess since the area is a recreational area and with money tight for many, you may find a good deal.

As a last thought, if you work for the prison, they will most likely not be real flexible with you on a work schedule so keep in mind the winter roads can be a problem so you may want to stay close to your work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin