Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:28 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,427,248 times

Advertisements

As a Wisconsin native who has lived away from Madison for 33 years (California for 15 - Utah for the balance) I'm afraid I will never be able to afford to retire to Wisconsin - even if I could tolerate the winters.

Yes, if you want to live waaaay outside Madison and Dane County up in the netherlands of Northern Wisconsin - maybe you can afford it.

My property taxes here in Utah - for a house valued at $280K are just under $1700. In Madison, they would be 3-4 times that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 12:40 PM

2,647 posts, read 3,825,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
As a Wisconsin native who has lived away from Madison for 33 years (California for 15 - Utah for the balance) I'm afraid I will never be able to afford to retire to Wisconsin - even if I could tolerate the winters.

Yes, if you want to live waaaay outside Madison and Dane County up in the netherlands of Northern Wisconsin - maybe you can afford it.

My property taxes here in Utah - for a house valued at $280K are just under $1700. In Madison, they would be 3-4 times that.
You, my friend, are fortunate enough to live in a conservative, morally honest state that does not place lots of trust in all things "government".

The coasts and the midwest on the other hand, actually believe a lot of the crap tossed around that government is an efficient mechanism to solve problems- hence high taxe rates feed the corrupt machine.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:43 PM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post
You, my friend, are fortunate enough to live in a conservative, morally honest state that does not place lots of trust in all things "government".

The coasts and the midwest on the other hand, actually believe a lot of the crap tossed around that government is an efficient mechanism to solve problems- hence high taxe rates feed the corrupt machine.
Fortunate? Not really. We moved here to Utah because we knew we couldn't afford California. We won't stay here forever. While we love the outdoors, it's been anything but easy. I've been fortunate to find work - but not my spouse. Try being a salesman in a right to work state. More like right to fire for any reason. Small business owners here are corrupt. They violate labor law left and right and the state doesn't care. Or doesn't have the money or will to care.

We have a morally bankrupt state legislature - who thinks we're still back in the '50's (women's place is in the home) - and anyone that doesn't look like them (white, male, mormon) is "wierd". It's a nanny-state theocracy.

But the times are a changin' for Utah..... Demographics are changing rapidly - as Californians and other folks move in and change it.

I hope, for the better.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 PM

2,647 posts, read 3,825,877 times
hmm mlb, ---I don't want to hijack the original thread topic, but ---- I am confused by your "nanny-state " comment.

By your own words, it sounds as if Utah is more laisse-fare, free market, let people do what they do type of place. I consider nanny state mentality to be found in places like California, WI or Cook County, where I live. Lots, of laws and regulations to "protect" people from themselves.

Old 01-03-2010, 05:24 PM

563 posts, read 1,023,709 times
Quote:

Hmm, not so much in Northern Wisconsin either. We lived in MN and thought we'd rather be in WI so bought a house in Bayfield. After 2 yrs we sold it (in late '90's and did very well), because we would never have been able to keep up with the property taxes. After 1 yr they were jacked up by 60%!!! Seriously! We moved back to MN and thank goodness we did!! I figure by living in the eastern part of MN I can still enjoy WI since it is a short drive. I love both states but can afford MN.

Last edited by whatnow; 01-03-2010 at 05:44 PM..

Old 01-03-2010, 09:56 PM

177 posts, read 684,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjarider View Post

You hit the nail right on the head!

Liberalism never solved a thing and still doesn't!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,846,395 times
Quote:

See, this is the part I don't get - and I did some quick real estate looking in both areas just now - If the house costs more in UT but the taxes are lower, is it really that different? Sure parts of Dane County can be more expensive, about the most in the state so it's not a good example though it's where you're from (how's the prices in the best part on Salt Lake City eh? ) But you can get a new 3000sq ft house here in Appleton for a solid $50K less than yours. You can have a nice house for even less. It'd take 30 years or more to catch the difference in tax expenses that way.

What about other expenses? Food, insurance, power, all that's pretty cheap here if you ask me. Looks like UT sales tax is quite a bit higher than ours, going to 6.6% in some areas where WI is 5 or 5.5%. Income tax looks pretty close as well, from a glance. I don't know, it makes me chuckle a bit when someone says they can't afford to live here of all places.

Last edited by yo vanilla; 01-04-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 08:38 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,780,358 times
Quick and simple explanation:

First, add up your income for the year.

Next, figure out how much you paid in federal taxes.

Then, subtract the second from the first.

Finally, take the remainder and send half of it to your property tax assessor and send the other half to Madison.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:39 PM
mlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
What about other expenses? Food, insurance, power, all that's pretty cheap here if you ask me. Looks like UT sales tax is quite a bit higher than ours, going to 6.6% in some areas where WI is 5 or 5.5%. Income tax looks pretty close as well, from a glance. I don't know, it makes me chuckle a bit when someone says they can't afford to live here of all places.
Sales tax is higher here. And there's a tax on food. But the kicker is our salaries - they're very low. It's why companies are chompin' at the bit to move here.... we've got a huge youthful population who'll work for peanuts and not question it. We have a culture that believes women do not belong in the workplace......and so those that are are paid squat.

Perhaps where there's a difference is in our per pupil spending - it's Dead Last. $5964 to Wisconsin's $10,529. However, it shows. The best college prep schools are the private schools. The public schools simply suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin