Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 07:01 PM

73 posts, read 222,773 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am moving from Delaware to Kohler, WI sometime in August, as my husband has accepted a job with Kohler. Can anyone tell me what it is like to live in that area? Also, I am an LPN and am having a really hard time finding a job (the first time EVER in my career). Is there a source other than careerbuilder, wisconsinjobs.com, jobsinsheboygan.com to find jobs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 11:48 AM

673 posts, read 3,145,980 times
I havent lived in Wisconsin for 7 years now but I did grow up there for 19 years. I lived north west from Kohler about an hour and a half away. Personally, I loved it up in Wisconsin. It does get cold in winter and it does snow but personally I dont think its that bad. I found Wisconsin to be safe and peaceful. Kohler is a really nice city and all the areas around it are nice as well. Sorry I cant help you with the job info. Right now my husband and I live in Virginia and we are looking to move back to Wisconsin in 3 years so we'll be in the same boat as you, looking for jobs. Good luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 02:53 PM

Thanks Wi_Girl! I think I'm just going to do agency nursing until I can find something more permanent. My husband has a job with Kohler, so we are getting ready to move. I'm very nervous and excited and hope that people will be accepting of us. I'm going to have to get used to moving a lot more sloooowwwly. It's pretty fast here on the East Coast. Where are you living now and what is bringing you back to Wisconsin, may I ask?

Old 07-28-2007, 04:24 PM

103 posts, read 513,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyseaocean View Post
Hello everyone, I am moving from Delaware to Kohler, WI sometime in August, as my husband has accepted a job with Kohler. Can anyone tell me what it is like to live in that area? Also, I am an LPN and am having a really hard time finding a job (the first time EVER in my career). Is there a source other than careerbuilder, wisconsinjobs.com, jobsinsheboygan.com to find jobs?
Funny... I'm moving from the Milwaukee area to Newark, DE for grad. school. I'm not that familiar with Kohler, but I know its a smaller area in Sheboygan Co. My brother-in-law lives in Elkhart Lake, and he likes it out in the area overall. It's a little slow in the area, and the winters will be horrible compared to those in DE. Kohler does have the American Club I believe, which has a nice spa. It'll def. be an overall slower lifestyle.

An LPN not being able to find a job?????? Wow. My wife's an RN, and she's even surprised. The first place to look would probably be all the hospitals in Sheboygan, and, if you get really desperate, look into places up I-43 in the Manitowoc area.

Aside from the websites you mention, possibly look into some travel nursing companies that would also place LPNs. Another source would be to look up some "headhunters" that work to place people in jobs all over the state - or even some staffing firms (I think one is called Seek Staffing ?).

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2007, 06:53 PM

7 posts, read 57,329 times
Try Aurora Health Care (Aurora Health Care -* Wisconsin hospitals, doctors and clinics) as they've got facilities everywhere in Wisconsin, including Sheboygan and Plymouth. The winters aren't that bad, a couple of cold weeks, a couple of over-hyped snow storms, lots of grey skies. The Kohler area is beautiful 9 months a year. Lush and green and hilly. Sheboygan has all the chain stores you'll ever need.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:36 PM

Thank you all sooo much. If this is the hospitality I'll get, I'm greatly looking forward to moving there. To the person moving to Newark: Have a blast. I lived there all thru college and partied my poor self to death. Everything's within walking distance, lovely campus, pretty reasonable if not shabby housing. I had to get out of Newark though, as I was more into the nightlife than the school work, know what I mean ? To the other poster(s): I have applied to Aurora Health System via the website for a clinic job and I even followed up with a phone call and have never heard anything back. I have a superb resume and am a very seasoned nurse. I also tried the main hospital in Sheboygan-St. something or other and got the same thing-we'll call you if your resume fits our needs. I have never, ever, ever, not gotten a nurse job I applied for, so this is weird. I have done agency nursing before and contacted one out there, so I will do that until I can start beating down some doors for a regular job. Kohler sounds heavenly and I can't wait to be a cheesehead!!!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 11:17 PM

43 posts, read 74,174 times
ive driven extensively thru wisconsin,
especially during my last stint working up in merril, wi
and driving from there to chicago many times,

Kohler is is a decent location,
its a bit small, but its right by sheboygan and mannitowoc isnt too far away,
also fond du lac, oshkosh, appleton and greenbay arent too far away,
im just saying civilization is around if you want it,

being in Merrill for six months, whoa that is rough,
i lived in wausau at that time cuz merrill was way way too small, but that area is way more isolated,
and you aren too far from milwaukee,
and there is alot of cool stuff inbetween kohler and milwaukee,

Old 07-31-2007, 05:13 PM
rce

2 posts, read 11,138 times
Kohler is a "typical" small WI city. It's got some gorgeous homes, quaint shops, and the American Club. It's a few miles away from the lake and some world-class golf courses. I've lived in Sheboygan for almost three years and jokingly refer to Kohler as Pleasantville.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:40 PM

59 posts, read 377,829 times
Misty:
I grew up in Kohler and still have family there. Yes, it is a small village - no where resembling a city. I had a great childhood there so if you have kids it is great. Yes, it can be like living under a microscope, but having lived all over the place including overseas I would go back in a minute. My brother is a real estate agent with the Kohler real estate office that is owned by Kohler Co. Let me know if you need his name. He knows everywhere - even outside the village in Sheboygan or Sheboygan Falls. Not pushy, too honest...has a daughter in school, etc. You will enjoy it!

Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM

59 posts, read 377,829 times
misty,
2nd reply to you from me....
send a private message on any questions on kohler. having grown up there, with family there, and go once a year on holidays i hope i can give you pros and cons. if my husband could commute to latin america from there he would and he is from s. america. yes, now there is target, best buy, etc which was never there before. look for stefano's and il ritrovo for THE BEST restaurants anywhere in the planet (in sheboygan) - il ritrovo has the DOC title from Naples, italy that it is authentic as if made there....stefano is a sheboygan native of italian immigrants.

Aurora is the only place for work or St. Nicholas Hospital. Otherwise you could try Grafton, but you do not want to commute in winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin