Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 06:23 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times

Advertisements

Wow! I feel for anyone that gets bothered by dreary days, but one day in 6 months is a "slight" exageration. Sunday and Monday were great sunny days, two days in a row!

I'm over by the lake, where it is foggy, cooler and I've had many sunny days in late Feb., March and April where I could get out for a walk. My perennial flower beds have the winter junk taken out, day lillies are up 4", I've been weeding already and none of this gets done without sunshine!

Old 04-27-2011, 08:01 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,410,470 times
Uh yeah obviously in the northern states, winter is going to linger. Today we're 40 some degrees w/a rain/snow mix. But the low will be 33... above freezing. So whatever snow we get is not going to stick. Just a couple days ago when I was down in Eau Claire with a guy I'm now seeing, it was 71. A college student stopped us on the street and said, "Can you believe this?" lol

Soooo, yeah, we'll have the warm days and not-so-warm days. You have to get outside and take advantage when you can during the Spring. It personally makes me all the more appreciative of it. Not only was it 71, it was not humid at all. Savor the flavor of that while it lasts...

I like the negative threads. The only reason to get pressed about threads like this is if you know or think, on some level, that there is actually an element of truth to them... which I don't. Which is why so many of my threads are regularly removed from the Montana forum. ha ha ha! (Too much truth there, huh?)

Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,039 times
I think people know that it isn't true that there hasn't been any sunny days...but the fact that the vast majority of them have been cloudy and cold is an important fact that people need to understand because even in places relatively close by have been experiencing Spring with much more sunshine and frequent 70 degree days...and by late Arpil most people think of trees totally leafing out, everything in bloom and that isn't the case in Wisconsin, at least not this year. Here, Spring is just starting and we are about a month behind areas farthur to the south. Basically, out time of year with leaves on the trees is two months shorter than more southern areas, one less in Spring and one month earlier in Fall. Those extra months make a big difference to a lot of people.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:36 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,304,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Wow! I feel for anyone that gets bothered by dreary days, but one day in 6 months is a "slight" exageration. Sunday and Monday were great sunny days, two days in a row!

I'm over by the lake, where it is foggy, cooler and I've had many sunny days in late Feb., March and April where I could get out for a walk. My perennial flower beds have the winter junk taken out, day lillies are up 4", I've been weeding already and none of this gets done without sunshine!
I meant one sunny day when a person can walk the trails around here. Trails are closed all winter.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:10 AM

14,322 posts, read 14,618,819 times
Trails aren't closed here and I start walking seriously in Feb., not so much in Dec. and Jan. as I'm afraid of falling! I realize everyone has a different outlook, expectations and this Spring has been less than nice, snowiest and wettest ever. We should have 60's regularly, so far we've had many 40's.

Last Spring/Summer was unusually warm. I guess I'm saying I live in the midwest, always have and I just go with it.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:58 PM

437 posts, read 815,849 times
I'm a WI native and I lived in Alaska for 7 years. I LOVE it up there and hope to move back one day. There isn't another place on earth I'd rather be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
I'm nearly 51 years old and I do think this has been the longest winter I have ever experienced. About a month ago when we had a 60 degree day, even the weather announcer said that was the fist day it had been 60 since November 10th. Even the extended forecast is calling for snow showers next Sunday, the 1st day of May, not encouraging. I could see why some people would have a hard time living in Alaska.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:11 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
We've also have had a crappy spring.Spring is normaly very nice here. We had a very cold winter and then just when it was suppose to get warmer, the cold jet keeps bringing back winter. Clouds,rain and cold.Everybody here that I know is just plain sick of it. Oh and let me not forget to mention that we had snow on the gound this morning.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:05 PM

146 posts, read 388,412 times
Well, I have to say that moving to Arizona has so far improved my general attitude just by the mere fact that you can count on having plenty of sunshine, which to me is a big deal. There is a 100% chance of going hiking, cooking on the grill, or walking around town every weekend. I know you could do all those things in a WI winter but that's just not for me. I spent 22 years in WI and the cold, gray winters really took their toll on me. I'm not going to sugar coat it, I think they are just downright depressing, which is a shame because I would like to move back to Milwaukee but I know what the climate has in store for me.

Some people do quite well with winter. More power to them. But if you know you don't like the cold it is probably best to cross WI off your list rather than moving there and trying to adapt.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 PM

598 posts, read 1,546,793 times
I was born and raised in Wisconsin...moved away after High School back in '85. Traveled the world for the past 25 years. California, Alaska, Washington D.C., North Carolina, Egypt, Germany, Cypress, Turkey, Kyrgyzstan and now in Colorado.

I still travel back to Wisconsin once a year...love it there, but not enough to move back. I ended up staying put here in Colorado Springs. Has exactly what I'm looking for...4 seasons, mild climate, low humidity, amazing scenery, great people, lots of sun and outdoor activities year-round. What's interesting is that there are so many people here in Colorado Springs and Denver who are from Wisconsin. I guess I'm not alone in my decision to move here. lol We even have an awesome Wisconsin Bar here in town...all Wisconsin brews, Walleye on Friday nights and Badger/Packer/Beer themes inside. (my home away from home)

Wisconsin truly is a great place, but if you're not happy, explore other locations and cultures...there's some other great places to live as well.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:41 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,450,843 times
I'm also a Wisconsin native - and found my way out west - now in Utah. We're having a wetter/cooler winter than normal (snowpack in the upper elevations is 170% of normal).... but that's the weather pattern this year and last.

I'll agree with the previous poster - lots of Wisconsin folks out here in the Rockies.... the winters are not as brutal - nor seemingly as long. DRY winters - and no black slush to walk through on the streets of Wisconsin.

I love Wisconsin - and come back alot to see family - but I choose carefully when I come back. Spring, early summer and fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin