Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 11:27 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,303,618 times

Advertisements

As I type this it is another cloudy day and cool for this time of the year. There hasn' been a nice day for many months now. The kind of day where you would want to hike or bike in the warm sunshine.. That means that it has been about 6 months or so of cold and many times dreary days with no sunshine. This may be a rant but I can see the same frustration in the people around me. I beieve that all towns are summer towns or nothing is going on. Milwaukee or Madison for instance. In the summer there are outdoor coffee shops, the lakes, people out and about. In the winter there is none of that. Don't move to wisconsin. I am seriously thinking about moving.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
I am seriously thinking about moving.
This thread has been 8373 times before about our weather. I am not a fan of complaining and therefore as I hate cold or chilly weather more than anyone else it seems I keep it to myself. Give me 90 and 100% humidity.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:00 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
April in Wisconsin can be a toss up. Warm weather may come or it may stay away. At least is not snowing, or is it? Hmmm I am not there right now. But it will end!

I love Wisconsin. Sometimes you have to make your own sunshine!

Hope warm weather comes and cheers you up soon! I once had a cartoon that I had up on my fridge that said: Winter is just around the corner... but it is a loooooong corner!

Hold on...

Old 04-23-2011, 05:01 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
If you leave Wisconsin, don't move to San Francisco. One of my relatives who lives there told me it was cloudy, rainy, and damp all of last week.

Old 04-23-2011, 05:35 PM

361 posts, read 861,368 times
I'm nearly 51 years old and I do think this has been the longest winter I have ever experienced. About a month ago when we had a 60 degree day, even the weather announcer said that was the fist day it had been 60 since November 10th. Even the extended forecast is calling for snow showers next Sunday, the 1st day of May, not encouraging. I could see why some people would have a hard time living in Alaska.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone1 View Post
I'm nearly 51 years old and I do think this has been the longest winter I have ever experienced.

Really? I'm surprised. I spent roughly 13-14 years in Montana, and I think their winters seem a bit longer. This has been my first winter back in years and I've sort of felt like it's been cake, really.

As for the this post, it's kind of and old story, I agree. That's what you get with many northern states. Long winters, dreary days... if it's not your cup of tea, I agree, you might be happier further south. I love the coziness of an overcast day. I have no problem making my own sunshine with a hot cup of coffee and the newspaper... or some old Taxi reruns on DVD.. curled up on my couch. Then there's outdoor sports. That's a goal next winter - to partake a lot more in the outdoors. Take advantage of the awesome winter sports in my state.

S.A.D. disorder is very real though... that's a whole other matter, aside from just being aggravated at the lack of sunshine. If you have that disorder this is NOT the place for you.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:48 PM

2,987 posts, read 10,131,637 times
What is so maddening is when the warm weather is nearby in neighboring states, but the warm fronts stay just south of the area.

It seems like over the past decade or so, we have had late springs. I recall this SAME situation of abnormally cold weather WELL into spring for many Arpils. Then people complain we had no Spring and it went straight to summer.

Some people say this is the worst time of year because it is cloudy, cold, dreary, you still wear winter clothes, still need the heat on, everything is brown and dirty, the snow is gone and nothing is green.

Just look for signs of hope: the forsythia bushes are blooming in Madison. The Jonquills and other early spring flowers have come up. Buds are on the trees and pretty soon they will start to open up. Spring is literally just around the corner...

Old 04-23-2011, 10:07 PM

238 posts, read 1,504,981 times
It is the same here in Northeast Ohio this year. We have had rain ,cold, then more rain and cold. It used to depress me but now I use mind over matter. No matter where you go it is something. Texas and much of the southwest are having droughts and wildfires as we speak. North Carolina to Mississippi has had tons of rain and many tornadoes this year. Europe is in a major drought. Japan has tsunamis that cause billions of dollars in damage. Florida and Louisiana have hurricane after hurricane, extreme heat, hoards of insects, tornadoes. The Northeast has had miserable weather this year. I always thank God for what I have not worry about something I have no control over such as the weather. Imagine being a critter out there trying to keep newborn babies fed and warm with all this cold and rain.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:50 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If you leave Wisconsin, don't move to San Francisco. One of my relatives who lives there told me it was cloudy, rainy, and damp all of last week.
My family moved there from Minneapolis (via Chicago), and yes, he is correct, San Fran. is chillier and has less variety than the Midwest. My parents miss the high heat AND the snow and cold. They came to Minneapolis last year when we had one of our blizzards (17" of snow) and they LOVED it! It just goes to show what you thought you hated you actually truly loved and respected.............to a degree. I am going to SF next weekend and the forecast is the SAME as Minneapolis (which has been much colder than average): upper 50's or lower 60's.......yay?

Old 04-24-2011, 01:53 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,870,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
What is so maddening is when the warm weather is nearby in neighboring states, but the warm fronts stay just south of the area.

It seems like over the past decade or so, we have had late springs. I recall this SAME situation of abnormally cold weather WELL into spring for many Arpils. Then people complain we had no Spring and it went straight to summer.

Some people say this is the worst time of year because it is cloudy, cold, dreary, you still wear winter clothes, still need the heat on, everything is brown and dirty, the snow is gone and nothing is green.

Just look for signs of hope: the forsythia bushes are blooming in Madison. The Jonquills and other early spring flowers have come up. Buds are on the trees and pretty soon they will start to open up. Spring is literally just around the corner...
Wow...I mean, wow, you totally nailed it! In Minnesota, we feel this worse than even YOU do!! EVERY place other than here in the upper Midwest (MN and parts of WI) just get skipped in the springtime blossom. We have no spring. We have winter, winter, and winter, and then we have a short month of moderate temps and then, BOOM -- it's summer! 90 and humid all of the sudden! I feel ya, I really do, but MN is even worse sometimes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin