Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 PM

70 posts, read 175,094 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
Me and my wife plan to go to the Devil's Lake State Park during the memorial day weekend.

We are planning to drive down from Chicago Friday morning, and spend Friday and Saturday covering Wisconsin Dells and the park. Both of us are photography enthusiasts and would like to spend a day in the park trying to get some nice pics.

How do you suggest we plan the trip? We can leave Chicago not before Friday morning and hope to be back Sunday evening.
I am thinking we reach Devil's park by Friday noon, spend the day in the park and drive to Madison at night. We cover Dells the next day (Saturday). Planning to spend Sunday looking around Madison and drive back to Chicago in the evening. We are also planning to get a hotel in Madison as my wife has some SPG points for Sheraton.

Would half a day in Devil's Park be enough for us to snap some nice nature pics? What trail(s) do you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Welcome Pacifist!
I reside in Baraboo and Devils Lake is stunning. I would check out the West Bluff Trail as it has tons of views that are worth photographing. I would also check out the free auto ferry in Merrimac (about 5-10 minutes from Devils Lake) You can take highway 113 all the way from Madison to Devils Lake and you will have to use the ferry to get across Lake Wisconsin.

Enjoy!

Old 05-20-2011, 03:51 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
I'd add that Memorial day weekend will bring the crowds ( esp if sunny and good temps ) to the park and Dells areas; so if you want some peaceful time to relax and take the pix you want, arrive early. I'd also almost guarantee that after one visit, you'll see enough to bring you back in fall--those views with the cooler temps and color changes can be awesome with a camera in tow.

The only Sheraton I can think of in Madison is on the south side over by the Coliseum so not sure how convenient that would be... but if the room's comped then an extra little drive ain't so bad. PLus you could drive thru downtown Madison Sat am on way to Dells, stopping off by the Capital ( open for visitors ) and walk over to the Monona Terrace for some shots of the Cap building in one direction and Lake Monona in another ( just some ideas ).

Old 05-20-2011, 07:28 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Good idea to get your Devil's Lake trip in on Friday. On Saturday/Sunday/Monday, half of Chicago, Madison and Milwaukee will be there. Unortunately, the other half will be at the Dells on those days.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:29 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
Indeed due to crowds that place lost it's charm for me after the mid 70's. Haven't visited that area since, and haven't missed it. I prefer the North and Northeast portions of the State. Particularly a bit off season if possible. Also better for photography as I'm also pretty serious about that as well.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:25 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,918 times
Family camped there last year in Aug. Wasn't crowded in the least, unless you expect to have the place to yourself. Beautiful trails and beach. Very picturesque. Camping was great, neighbors were quiet.
It's never a good idea to have a destination in mind over a holiday weekend, and if you do, be prepared for like-minded peeps.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:34 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
"In August" is different than "on Memorial Day weekend." Have you ever been to Devil's Lake or the Dells on Memorial Day weekend?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:36 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,918 times
I've been to the Indiana Dunes over that weekend, and other destination places. Yeah, that's why I said expect to be crowded. I guess I should have been more specific and said, if you can change plans to another weekend, it would probably be worth the wait.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:03 PM

286 posts, read 1,151,016 times
Something was said about visiting the capitol on Saturday morning. Warning, Saturday morning is when the farmers market is held on the square, you won't be able to park close unless you head for a ramp or are willing to walk a couple of blocks. In addition, the protesting is still very much alive although at a lull. The crowd will be heavy.

Still I encourage a visit because Sat morn on the square is very much a part of what is madison. Just be prepared to see half the people in town. And bring a camera.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin