Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which National Hockey League team has the most support in the state of Wisconsin?
Chicago Blackhawks 32 53.33%
Detroit Red Wings 10 16.67%
Minnesota Wild 11 18.33%
Other (specify in a comment, please) 7 11.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:25 PM

12 posts, read 25,779 times

Advertisements

Blackhawks FTW

Been watching them since the days of Ed Belfour, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, Chris Chelios, Gary Suter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 10:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I grew up in Wisconsin, and was always a Black Hawks fan, back in the days of Pilote and Vasko and Skov and Litzenberger, and Nesterenko, but they were always in last place in a 6-team NHL and never on TV. But I didn't really become interested in hockey until I moved to Quebec, and became a Canadiens fan, with Beliveau and Geoffrion. Now that the Habs suck, I'm rooting for the Black Hawks in the Stanley Cup. But also for Ottawa because Colin Greening's dad was a good friend and colleague of mine.

Old 04-22-2012, 10:23 AM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Admirals818 View Post
The Minnesota Wild would be the "local" NHL team, particularly because they are televised in Milwaukee.

How many times do I have to keep telling people that FSWisconsin is not FS Wisconsin. It's a Twin Cities TV station that branded itself FSW and has the contract for Brewers and Bucks games and when there is nothing else on that draws ratings they put on MN Outdoors or Wild games. Fs(Twin Cities) does not put on wild games because of ratings in Milwaukee. The Blackhawks are Milwaukee's NHL team that and the pred's but even that changes since affiliates change every so often. You will see more Hawks stickers and t shirts and flags in Milwaukee than you will of predator gear and I am willing to bet ratings for Hawks games are higher than Nashville games here. Just by shear number of Chicagoland transplants there are more blackhawk fans in Milwaukee than Nashville fans. Plus it's a lot easier to drive down to the mad house in 1.5 hours than driving 10 hours to Nashville. Also a lot of people here who love the Admirals have a great respect for http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloyd_Pettit. and since he was such a hawks fan a lot of Milwaukeeans became hawks fans simply due to Mr.Pettit. I also believe the Admirlas were the IHL or AHL affiliate for a short time for the blackhawks but I can't seem to find anything on that.

Last edited by Milwaukee City; 04-22-2012 at 10:33 AM..

Old 04-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Sports News on Tap: Can Wisconsin Sports Fans Like The Chicago Blackhawks?

Articles about Lloyd Pettit - Chicago Tribune

Old 05-06-2012, 11:09 AM

26 posts, read 52,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I grew up in Wisconsin, and was always a Black Hawks fan, back in the days of Pilote and Vasko and Skov and Litzenberger, and Nesterenko, but they were always in last place in a 6-team NHL and never on TV. But I didn't really become interested in hockey until I moved to Quebec, and became a Canadiens fan, with Beliveau and Geoffrion. Now that the Habs suck, I'm rooting for the Black Hawks in the Stanley Cup. But also for Ottawa because Colin Greening's dad was a good friend and colleague of mine.
As a highly moral and ethical human being, even though I live in beercheeseville, AKA Wausau, I will always root for the Hawks, Bears and Sox.

I'm originally from the westburbs of Chicago and detest the gb pukers.
There is no NHL or AL/MLB team here.

I also used to go to the Stadium to see Mosienko all the way to Mikita.

The first and only time I went to the U.C. was when Kane scored the goal with a second left against the preds and Hoss won it in OT.
Most exciting hockey game I've ever been to.

Old 06-08-2013, 10:19 PM

I would like to update, after the Hawks won the cup in 2010 you saw a huge uptick in people in WI and more so in MKE wearing Chicago Blackhawks gear and now this year I have noticed a ton of hawks fans in Milwaukee and all over the state of WI. The streak helped and the cup win in 2010 helped but for a long time people from WI have always had a "I hate everything IL" and "I hate anything to do with Chicago" complex. Now this is more pervasive outside the Milwaukee area. So with all the new fans of the Blackhawks in WI the reason they tell me they like the hawks is simple, WI doesn't have a hockey team and the Chicago Blackhawks are the closest team with the Madhouse on Madison being only 89 miles south of downtown Milwaukee or roughly the same difference from Milwaukee to Madison.

The NHL should welcome every bandwagon fan they can get and the same goes for each club, with the NHL being in far 4th place among "The BIG 4" they should do everything to get and keep every fan that is new to the sport. Hockey is a complex game and much like baseball it takes some will to learn and sometimes can be hard to follow. Hockey requires a certain attention span that other sports don't require. If I were the Blackhawks I would tap into the Milwaukee market or WI market as Wisconsin's NHL Team but it's not like they need to, the hawks average 21,775 which is 110.4% of the United Center and has led the NHL in attendance for the last 5 years.

Milwaukee being only 25 mins north of the Chicago metro area(state line) helps and having a Metra stop in Kenosha helps too and a drive to the Chicago's most northerly EL stop being only an hour from downtown Milwaukee. So while some in Northwest WI will root for the Wild, you could make a strong argument that the Blackhawks should be WI's hockey team.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:06 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Blackhawks FTW

Been watching them since the days of Ed Belfour, Jeremy Roenick, Tony Amonte, Chris Chelios, Gary Suter.

Chelios is a Red Wing. He owns Cheli's Chili in Detroit.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:45 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,415,819 times
I'm actually from Illinois, so you guys might find this funny, but I would think that Milwaukee could potentially support an NHL franchise. Sadly, an NHL team would probably draw considerably better than the abysmal Milwaukee Bucks basketball team for a variety of reasons. I think some moron executive in the NHL thinks that the Milwaukee market is situated too close to the goliath Chicago market to be able to support its own hockey team. Since Wisconsin is a cold weather Great Lakes state, I'd beg to differ. Much of Wisconsin has a lot in common with Michigan, for example, and the Detroit Red Wings have a gigantic fanbase throughout the entire state of Michigan. And Detroit also has pro baseball, football & basketball (out in Auburn Hills which has suffered as of late). And the city of Detroit has shrunk so much that the city only has slightly more population than Milwaukee. Of course, the Metro Detroit area is certainly a lot larger & populated than Milwaukee, but still! Perhaps Milwaukeeans will be more willing to fund a new arena in town if there's a prospect of a pro hockey team. What do the Wisconsinites think ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I would like to update, after the Hawks won the cup in 2010 you saw a huge uptick in people in WI and more so in MKE wearing Chicago Blackhawks gear and now this year I have noticed a ton of hawks fans in Milwaukee and all over the state of WI. The streak helped and the cup win in 2010 helped but for a long time people from WI have always had a "I hate everything IL" and "I hate anything to do with Chicago" complex. Now this is more pervasive outside the Milwaukee area. So with all the new fans of the Blackhawks in WI the reason they tell me they like the hawks is simple, WI doesn't have a hockey team and the Chicago Blackhawks are the closest team with the Madhouse on Madison being only 89 miles south of downtown Milwaukee or roughly the same difference from Milwaukee to Madison.

The NHL should welcome every bandwagon fan they can get and the same goes for each club, with the NHL being in far 4th place among "The BIG 4" they should do everything to get and keep every fan that is new to the sport. Hockey is a complex game and much like baseball it takes some will to learn and sometimes can be hard to follow. Hockey requires a certain attention span that other sports don't require. If I were the Blackhawks I would tap into the Milwaukee market or WI market as Wisconsin's NHL Team but it's not like they need to, the hawks average 21,775 which is 110.4% of the United Center and has led the NHL in attendance for the last 5 years.

Milwaukee being only 25 mins north of the Chicago metro area(state line) helps and having a Metra stop in Kenosha helps too and a drive to the Chicago's most northerly EL stop being only an hour from downtown Milwaukee. So while some in Northwest WI will root for the Wild, you could make a strong argument that the Blackhawks should be WI's hockey team.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 AM

89 posts, read 194,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
He did play for Chicago before Detroit, was even quoted saying he hated Detroit (which is why it was so crazy when he came to Detroit to play.)

Old 07-02-2013, 12:37 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,776,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
He played nine seasons in Chicago before getting traded to Detroit at age 37. He is also from the Chicago suburbs (Evergreen Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin