Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,628 times

Advertisements

If anyone is trying to decide on a good city to raise a family...consider Portage. To this day I remember all the great times and small town living that have stuck with me to this day.

I know things change but I would like to hope that Portage is still the
"Mayberry" of Wisconsin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 04:10 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,548,313 times
Portage, the Mayberry of Wisconsin? Hardly anymore. My dad has lived here his whole life and has said that this town has not changed for the better. I've also lived here mu whole life and can tell you one thing I'm moving to Tennessee. Portage has nothing for a young guy like me.

Thats my .02 cents from a local!

Old 02-16-2008, 08:32 PM

Here is a picture just outside Portage.

Old 02-17-2008, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 20,288 times
My wife and I are considering moving to Portage. She is originally from Madison. I, on the other hand, am from Plymouth UK. We are living in the UK at the moment but intend moving to the States this summer - if all paperwork is in order. My wife would like to live between her parents in Madison and her twin sister who lives further up just north of Sparta. It seems as if Portage has pretty good access to both areas (and I'm happy that it seems to have a train station - I love train transportation - although they do seem few and far between. Also, I do seem to recall that US trains seem to be heavy on the horns - is train noise a problem in Portage??? How far do you need to live away from the railway lines?

Also, we have a 5 and a 7 year old. Does it make much of a difference which elementary schools they should try and get into?

Cheers for any advice to a limey.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:22 PM

42 posts, read 146,836 times
You should really consider the Wausau Wisconsin area.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:31 PM

I'll admit the school district is very good. We have many different programs available. Thats one thing I give Portage Kudos for. The train whistles, not really heard in town. Its really pretty low key.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:51 PM

4,720 posts, read 15,553,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkj123 View Post
You should really consider the Wausau Wisconsin area.
Can you add why they should ?

Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM

4 posts, read 20,288 times
I would think Wausau is a little too far out for us. My wife has family in Madison and in Sparta. I'd prefer being closer to Madison. However, we have thought of a few other areas along I94 from Baraboo to Mauston up to Tomah, but Portage seems a nice fit in seems ideally placed on the Interstate system. I have no idea what the schools are like though. For a limey, I do actually have some experience of Wisconsin. Obviously since being hitched to a Wisconsin belle - I've visited it frequently - even in those cold winters. However, I'd actually spent some time working on summer camps around Wild Rose - although I was initially based out of Oshkosh. I suppose it was this kind of inside information that allowed me to woo my beloved when I bumped into her in Japan - where we met many moons ago now. I'm quite an outdoorsy person (although in a hiking and campcraft kind of way rather than a blow all the wildlife away kind of way) although I do like to have access to culture, libraries and museums if even a car ride away.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:06 PM

42 posts, read 146,836 times
The reason why Wausau would be a better option would be ....better schools..more house for the money..Wausau area has several towns around it ( about 90,000 people ) I mean, why live in Portage and spend all your time in Madison ? Madison is over priced !

Old 02-23-2008, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 32,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randi View Post
If anyone is trying to decide on a good city to raise a family...consider Portage. To this day I remember all the great times and small town living that have stuck with me to this day.

I know things change but I would like to hope that Portage is still the
"Mayberry" of Wisconsin.
does anyone know a gene krause that once lived in Portage???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin