Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 11:09 PM

18 posts, read 109,679 times

Advertisements

Well, it looks like I'm going to be moving to the Madison area this December! I work at a Wal-Mart Distribution Center in Coldwater, MI. They are opening a new center in Beaver Dam. I put in my transfer request on Friday.

I've thought about this for about six months, when I found out about the new center. In July, I spent a week in Madison. I was really impressed! The city is beautiful, vibrant, and the people are very friendly. On more than one occasion, I was at a restaurant, where I was able to easily start a conversation with someone I've never met. That's not so easy to do in Michigan!

I was also pleasantly surprised that the commute to my future place of work was easy--just 35 min. from Madison on US 151. That was a huge selling point. Beaver Dam is nice, but it's too small for me. I enjoy the big city life and what it has to offer. I think that Madison and me will be a perfect match!

If anyone is from Madison reads this, I hope to hear from you! I look forward to the day that I can call Madison home!

ON WISCONSIN!!!

P.S. I tossed my yellow and blue Michigan sweatshirt and replaced it with a red and white Wisconsin sweatshirt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2006, 04:58 PM

196 posts, read 969,393 times
Madison is awesome and people are much friendlier than the northwoods.
Good for you!
Have fun!

Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 PM

Thanks, Cavewoman! When I was in Madison, I noticed that the people there are a lot friendlier than in Michigan. I held the door for a woman, and she responded "Thank you, Sweetie!" Looks like I picked a great city to live in!

ON WISCONSIN!

Last edited by comingtowisconsin; 09-08-2006 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Needed to add my "sign-off line!"

Old 09-09-2006, 02:22 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Default Madison

I live in a small town just north of Madison, so our tastes may differ a bit. I just wanted to post a note to ask if you had any specific questions about Madison. I did work in downtown Madison for 25 years or so and I have some famaliarity with the city. A suggestion I would like to make is that you may want to consider Sun Prairie as a residence. It is just west of the interstate on highway 151 and would make your daily commute easier. At the same time you would have easy access to the interstate, the beltline, & highway 51 all of which you will be using while you explore the city.
Good Luck
uh

Old 09-09-2006, 07:54 PM

Actually, I drove through Sun Prairie when I was in Madison in July. Not a bad town. Real close to East Towne Mall, and not a bad drive to Beaver Dam. I also have been doing a roommate search online. I talked to a guy in Waunakee. That's not a bad little town either. My ideal location is within the city of Madison, but if I find something in a close suburb, I'll take it.

Thanks for offering to answer any questions, uncleharley. When I was in Madison, I did a LOT of sightseeing in the city (Olbrich Gardens, the Capitol, Monona Terrace, State St., all five malls) and beyond (Cave of the Mounds, Mount Horeb's "Trollway" and the Mustard Museum, Little Norway.) I even went to the University Bookstore and bought a Wisconsin sweatshirt!

ON WISCONSIN!!!

Old 09-12-2006, 06:57 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,150,046 times
Comingtowisconsin
are you going to retrieve and wear your blue and yellow Michigan sweatshirt for this Saturday's big game at South Bend? it should be a wild barn burner of a football game from start to finish.

Old 09-14-2006, 02:08 AM

I'll root for Michigan this Saturday, but when the Badgers come to Ann Arbor, I'll be yelling "ON WISCONSIN!"

Old 10-10-2006, 12:28 AM

By the end of this week, I should know if I have the green light to make the Badger State my new home. Just waiting for the magic phone call....

ON WISCONSIN!!!

Old 10-10-2006, 09:16 AM

46 posts, read 259,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by comingtowisconsin View Post
I'll root for Michigan this Saturday, but when the Badgers come to Ann Arbor, I'll be yelling "ON WISCONSIN!"

It doesn't matter whether you're moving to Wisconsin or away from Wisconsin; your enthusiasm is most refreshing! And, I think that is the key. You will be happy anywhere! Welcome.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:20 PM

37 posts, read 144,576 times
That's perfect! Toss your yellow and blue away! On Wisconsin is where it is. Madision is continually rated as one of the best places to live. You will love it and not be disappointed! I am originally from WI and had to move to outside of Detroit, MI 6 years ago. I miss WI!!! You will be very happy there. I have "On Wisconsin" programed as my ringtone! Beaver Dam is very nice, and also go to a Packer Game (if you can)! Madison area has lots to do, and you will have low crime, great people and one of the best places to live! Congrats....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin