Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 03:58 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
You hate Virginia?!

Why?!!!! You don't like commuting 2hrs from Stafford Co. to Crystal City every day (EACH WAY?) on I-95? You don't like the suburban sprawl? You don't like not being able to buy liquor on a Sunday, or being hassled by someone with three teeth who says a US passport isn't a "State ID", and won't sell booze to you because you're using a passport to buy it?

Come on!!!

I lived in Spotsylvania Co., and in DC. I feel your pain. I loved the area itself, and the unpretentious people of Spotsy. DC was another story, not particularly nice, but very historic and lots of action.

However, the whole bible-belt thing just didn't play well with me, nor did the rat race on I-95, people FIGHTING to earn $80k/year and willing to drive 2hrs each way to do it. What is wrong with this country?

As I said, I loved living out there, in ways. DC is nice, and offers nice urban amenities, parks, and culture. Suburban VA offers history and different amenities. I loved driving the country roads to Fairview Beach and drinking beer or bloody marys on the Potomac River. I loved the battlefields of Spotsylvania County (of which I lived next to one). I loved the history and the down to earth people of the suburban/rural areas. I loved the mountains. But the DC suburban rat race, I could do without. I got out of it fortunately, but I now live in Arizona, which is like a 1/4 intensity Washington suburb, with less traffic.

In terms of Wisconsin, much different than VA in terms of traffic and hassles. However, similar in some ways, such as the nature and the landscape (in many areas). Plus, people are pretty nice in both areas.
Actually, we live in Hampton Roads but compare I-64 to I-95 and its the same thing. We live in Newport News and we have to deal with the bottleneck of 64 through Williamsburg up to Richmond. The bible belt is driving us insane as well. I am Catholic and my husband's family is Penecoastal/Southern Baptist so that's been an issue. I find that there are some friendly people in VA, but that most people are so concerned with where you go to church, that they judge you if you have different beliefs than theirs. I think its hilarious that you cant buy liquor at a gas station/grocery store, etc and you have to go to the ABC store. The racism is bad down here, worse than I ever imagined and the school systems are terrible in our area. So we're looking to move back to WI in 3 years and I'm counting down every single minute. I cant wait to go back home. My brother in law (my husband's brother married a WI girl too and was smart and moved) and he said he will NEVER move back. He got a great piece of land, built a house, etc just outside of Fon du Lac for $117K. That would be $300,000 here. The money is good down here but the cost of living is outrageous. Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I hope to be back in Wi asap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 03:44 PM

14 posts, read 35,225 times
I moved to Vegas just over a year ago and am considering moving back. I do like it here, but miss so many things about Wisconsin. I just don't see myself settling down with a family here.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:08 PM

673 posts, read 3,145,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingwi View Post
I moved to Vegas just over a year ago and am considering moving back. I do like it here, but miss so many things about Wisconsin. I just don't see myself settling down with a family here.
That's the same thing we are finding. This is a great place for some people, just not us. We just dont want to raise our family out here. My husband's childhood was so different than mine, and he really wishes his was more like mine, laid back, etc. We live in the bible belt and especially with my religion being different then the rest of his family's, its not always been easy. It drives him CRAZY that they are such holy rollers (they really are) and he wants to get out so bad. Plus the heat and humidity here is enough to kill someone! It was 115 degree heat index the other day. Half the summer its too hot for my daughter to play outside. Its miserable. I can deal with high property taxes, I'll be giving up a city with one of the higest murder rates around, the traffic, the car tax, the food tax, the rude people, and so much more. I'm ready to come back to a good 'ol Midwestern town to call home!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:03 PM

14 posts, read 35,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
That's the same thing we are finding. This is a great place for some people, just not us. We just dont want to raise our family out here. My husband's childhood was so different than mine, and he really wishes his was more like mine, laid back, etc. We live in the bible belt and especially with my religion being different then the rest of his family's, its not always been easy. It drives him CRAZY that they are such holy rollers (they really are) and he wants to get out so bad. Plus the heat and humidity here is enough to kill someone! It was 115 degree heat index the other day. Half the summer its too hot for my daughter to play outside. Its miserable. I can deal with high property taxes, I'll be giving up a city with one of the higest murder rates around, the traffic, the car tax, the food tax, the rude people, and so much more. I'm ready to come back to a good 'ol Midwestern town to call home!
Yes, I'd like to get out before I become too hardened to life. I don't want to be like so many people I see that don't smile or look you in the eye. I really do notice how much more friendly and polite people are in the Midwest.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:57 PM

2 posts, read 24,221 times
Hello,
So in 2005 i moved from wisconsin and moved to arizona to be closer to my husband's mom. I was prepared for the heat and i dont mind it. BUT i hate how here it is soo cold, and by that i mean In wisconsin i found that people were more friendly (if your in the right area) and Christmas here is just not the same. It feels wrong. I miss seasons as well. The scenery here in arizona never ever changes and it gets so boreing. People from wisconsin know that yea the snow sucks but there is just something about the atmosphere of home you get. I miss wisconsin and want to move back as well. Hopefully one day. it is just sooo expensive to move.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:26 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,857 times
Left the country in Wisconsin for the military in 1986. Have always wanted to come back and can't wait until it finally happens. Have been many places inside and outside of the US. None beat the small town country life in Wisconsin that I came from. If I wasn't eating or sleeping, I was outside enjoying something during all seasons.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:34 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Anyone From Wisconsin Move and Come Back?....and regret it?

This guy, moved from Boca Raton back to MKE.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 17,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears View Post
LoL...i moved away in 97 and you would have to pay me to move back...have lived in the 'south' for just as long andf enjoy it better in NC
DaBears - My family and I are considering moving from WI to NC, in fact the Raleigh area!

What is it like? Nice people, good weather, beautiful women?, political affiliation, anything ya got Id love to hear it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin