Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 01:57 PM

78,326 posts, read 60,527,398 times

Advertisements

I thought this thread was supposed to be about the positives? Reading comprehension fail.

As a native of IL that grew up near sw-wisconsin and visited there a lot....here goes.

1) The Packers are owned by the people and not a corporation etc. and will never leave.
2) You have some great universities.
3) Lots of nature and beautiful parks etc.
4) Lake Michigan.
5) People are generally good midwestern folk.

Have a great weekend everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 02:50 PM

570 posts, read 1,752,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akravenlady View Post
Is there anywhere that points to me making anyone miserable? I stated my opinion. I am allowed to do that.
I believe the originator of this thread asked for positive things about Wisconsin. For some reason I don't view your comments as positive.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:04 AM

132 posts, read 278,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I thought this thread was supposed to be about the positives? Reading comprehension fail.

As a native of IL that grew up near sw-wisconsin and visited there a lot....here goes.

1) The Packers are owned by the people and not a corporation etc. and will never leave.
2) You have some great universities.
3) Lots of nature and beautiful parks etc.
4) Lake Michigan.
5) People are generally good midwestern folk.

Have a great weekend everyone.
MathGuy, you forgot tomention Great Fishing all the rest are true.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:00 PM

947 posts, read 2,422,375 times
Just came back from our property in Rusk Co. Between my husband and myself caught 12 small mouthed bass, 5 yellow perch, a few rock bass and largemouthed bass and a northern. Weather was 70's -low 80's during day, 60 during nite. Beer at local bars was cold, fried dill pickles were awesome. Bait in a small shop on Hwy 40 dirt cheap. Nuff said.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
Just came back from our property in Rusk Co. Between my husband and myself caught 12 small mouthed bass, 5 yellow perch, a few rock bass and largemouthed bass and a northern. Weather was 70's -low 80's during day, 60 during nite. Beer at local bars was cold, fried dill pickles were awesome. Bait in a small shop on Hwy 40 dirt cheap. Nuff said.
Nice day of fishing if you ask me,

Old 08-16-2011, 03:50 PM

61 posts, read 137,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImaloneJill View Post
LOL!!! Looks like I should really check out this whole fishing thing. You can imagine in the desert southwest there isn't much in the way of fishing unless you live close to one of the man-made lakes in the state (of which there aren't many).

What you mentioned about the weather really intrigued me. I love the idea of summer temperatures in the 70's and low 80's. I could stand it even cooler actually.

It's been a really, really long time since I've lived in a place that gets a real winter. What are some of the things you all do in winter for fun? Last time I was in any real snow I was just a kid and we did sledding and walks and of course the usual snowmen and snowball fights and the occasional snow angel. What big-kid things do you all do in winter?

Old 08-16-2011, 04:01 PM

61 posts, read 137,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tippinturtle View Post
Yes, I like the change in seasons. Yes, spring & fall (my personal favorite) are a whisper of a season but at least we get them. I can't imagine living somewhere where it was summer all year round, that's just not for me. I love the North Woods, there is nothing like it, at least I don't think so. We have a place on a lake up there & it's beautiful, peaceful & the pine smells are awesome. I love living next to Lake Michigan, it would be difficult to live in a land-locked area. Lots of festivals & fireworks in the summer. Yes, drinking is a large part of the Wisconsin culture but since I like to drink, I'm fine with this. What I am not fine with is the high drinking/driving rates we have here. Too many people collect DUI's like they are parking tickets. When are they going to crack down on this? I like the vibe of the east side, walking down Brady St. seeing people you recognize & also total strangers. And who can forget grilling brats? I don't know of any other state that I've been in that is familiar w/brats. I feel sorry for them!
It really isn't much fun living in almost perpetual summer. It is for some people...they really love it, but I'm not one of them. Time gets fuzzy for me here because one day fades into the next, one season fades into the next with little change. All the seasons come with their pros and cons but I really miss having them...even the not-so-fun parts like shoveling snow.

I like the very occasional drink, and being half-German I'm familiar with a drinking culture. I just really don't like the DUI thing up there, so I agree with you on that. It would be great if they'd crack down on that a lot more. Any idea why it's treated so lackadaisically?

Old 08-17-2011, 07:15 AM

you can snowshoe, xcountry ski, (the hills we have here are really to small for DECENT) downhill skiing, snow mobling. OH did I mention Ice fishing (lol)

Old 08-17-2011, 09:07 AM

253 posts, read 201,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeWisco View Post

I like the very occasional drink, and being half-German I'm familiar with a drinking culture. I just really don't like the DUI thing up there, so I agree with you on that. It would be great if they'd crack down on that a lot more. Any idea why it's treated so lackadaisically?
Good question. I've heard some murmurings of being even more lax w/certain elements by republicans but I'm not sure how true that is. It'd be political suicide for them. Our state is VERY well known for it's drinking atmosphere. The Journal-Sentinel did an expose I think last year, titled "Wasted in Wisconsin" on the high drinking & driving incidents we have here & the amount of tickets people can get before being tossed in jail. I've read some stories of some guys having 8-9 DUI's under their belt & they're still out there driving. It's ridiculous. I don't know the reasoning but I'm assuming it's going to change. Unless things already have & I don't know about it. Anyone else have some recent input on this?

Old 08-17-2011, 11:49 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,885,374 times
The cops are doing their damdest to stop people, and they're very successful. But for some reason the judges aren't sentencing these guys for very long, if at all, and when they do, once they're out, they're right back at it. I don't know what the answer is. It seems all the police crack down has done is make it tough on those who have a drink once in a great while, and the restaurants and bars that have seen their clientele thin out to next to nothing because everyone's afraid the police will be waiting at the end of the driveway. Which is sometimes true. MOST people, if they get one, are smart enough to make sure it doesn't happen again. Unfortunately, not everyone is that smart....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin