U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,682 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get some input and see whether or not this case should be pursued in court. The landlord stiffed my wife and I $200 for "light floor cleaning."

We figured this would happen so took photos and videos of everything. Unfortunately, the floor is the LAST thing I figured they would cheat us on. I have photos/videos of the floor, however, they probably aren't the clearest shots. When I called and argued with one of the staff, she asked if we cleaned under the oven/fridge and I hesitated cause I wasn't sure, but I looked at the move out cleaning checklist they provided and neither of those items are even on there! They're obviously trying to stiff us.

We know this landlord is cheating us because earlier this spring we reported the property manager (responsible for making security deposit deductions) for grabbing my wife's wrist to the police and this company. Unfortunately, she didn't tell me until a week after and the bruise was gone, so we have no real case. The property manager harassed in other ways (BS eviction notices). Now, the company itself won't do anything about this security deposit deduction even though I explained what is happening. We also had about $1000 of medical bills go into collections as a result.

What can I do here? Is there any sense in going to court for this case?
Thanks all for your input.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM

705 posts, read 1,376,170 times
Your only real choice is small claims court, assuming you have that in your county. If you do, find out what the court fee is. It may not be worth the time and trouble.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:43 AM

16 posts, read 36,534 times
Threaten to take them to court unless they are willing to negotiate with you. Say I will pay $50, but if you do not I will file a grievence with the city and talk to a lawyer. Happened to my wife before we were married and it worked.

Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 PM

152 posts, read 325,414 times
get a copy of the wisconsin way hand book. A landlord can not charge for normal wear and tear, clearly stated in the handbook.

The hand book is for landlords and tenants

Old 11-14-2011, 05:14 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,769,122 times
Here's your solution....no court...one phone call...

Call the Wisconsin Real Estate Commision.

It happened to me also. The scumbag landlord had to pay me double and also got a State Record out of the deal. Talk about justice. I had my money back in under 3 weeks.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:56 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,051,724 times
When my wifes Grandma passed away her landlord was being a pain in (__!__) also. Cleaned house steam cleaned carpet and the landlord said not pay back security deposit because dust on a ceiling fan, said walls were not clean enough and wear in carpet. The lady lived there 12 years. Then she also wanted them to pay more money as the lease was 3 months from being over and she did not give notice and would take that long to find a renter. They contacted a lawyer he called landlady said her lease was a bunch of BS and no rent would be paid.. They never did fight her over security deposit though as was only 250.00 and cost more in court than worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin