Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 03:13 PM

371 posts, read 2,029,655 times

Advertisements

I know I may be opening myself up for a lot of hatred and mean remarks, but I don't get it. I was born and raised in upstate New York, but I moved to Chicago and lived there for a few years before locating out in Harvard and then Loves Park, Illinois. I have vacationed for years in Wisconsin and have fallen in love with it, especially the LaCrosse area because its very similar to the region I grew up in . . . the hills and such.

I do not understand, however, because I have not personally experienced it except through rumor and some impatient drivers, this deep rooted hatred towards people from "Ill-annoy." I think its really sad that people are judged based on their geographic choice of living. We are asked through advertisements to vacation in Wisconsin and yet we are told that Wisconsin people would rather we stay home. This forum has really driven that point home and for the first time not through rumor.

My husband and I are still going ahead with plans to relocate to Wisconsin. We were going to return to New York State, but decided we like the midwest and love the State of Wisconsin. If we're not welcomed not a big deal, but unfortunate for our 3 year old son who will consider himself native after growing up there. I do hope the kids aren't as prejudiced as apparently the parents may be.

Thanks for letting me vent and I would hope to get some responses that can explain the judgements based on being from Illinois so that I might come to understand why we're so hated.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:35 PM

246 posts, read 329,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSNY View Post
I do not understand, however, because I have not personally experienced it except through rumor and some impatient drivers, this deep rooted hatred towards people from "Ill-annoy."
The term of art used for visitors from south of the border is "F.I.B.s".

It's a puzzle, but I think the resentment of Illinois residents comes from the waves of vacationers that come up north during the summer. Driving on I-43 on a Friday rush hour can be a nightmare with the Illinois-tagged SUVs pulling boats & whipping across lanes at 90 mph.

Secondly, I think it's the Chicago attitude of visitors that people resent. Funny, the north-south animosity of Wisconsinites toward Illinoisans is exactly the same that you see between my home state (Idaho) and Utah.

A disclaimer -- this isn't my opinion of Illinois folks. It's just the impression I get from living up nort'.

Magpies

Old 09-08-2006, 04:03 PM

Thanks Magpies, BUT even I don't like to drive in Chicago. I have, however, ran into a couple of scary instances in Wisconsin and it was the natives that were a little on the crazy side. We were on a very rural road not many days ago and the road was very curvy with a double line down the middle. We weren't going under the speed limit, but we weren't speeding either and this guy in a huge SUV passes us and looks like he wants to kill everyone (me, my husband, Grandma, Grandpa, and son) in the van. I tell you I don't know what we did to deserve it except that our license plate is Illinois. He risked his life and his wife's and all of ours because he was ticked off at us for being from Illinois. I'm not kidding. That was ugly.

The last instance occured way up North when my Mom and her husband we're taking my son out to lunch. They parked and Mom opened her door and then proceeded to open the sliding back door to get my son out when this red faced guy comes over and starts swearing at her because she ALMOST touched his Lexus with her door. "If that's the kind of people you are you should stay in Illinois!" I'm not kidding. She didn't even touch his Lexus, which he admitted. The fact was she was from Illinois and he knew it because of the license plate and all of this with the swearing was said in front of my 3 year old son. I lived in Chicago for many years and never experienced that. Maybe I was just lucky, but I don't think so.

I'm going by the fact that MOST everyone I have come into contact with from Wisconsin have been absolutely wonderful and that not ALL Wisconsin people behave like the 2 mentioned. I would hope someday that the Wisconsin people that have a problem with Illinois people would realize its not where the person comes from that makes them a jerk.

Old 09-08-2006, 04:52 PM

196 posts, read 969,607 times
Default So sad

I cannot tell you how close to home this is for me.
I was born and raised in Chicago, however by age two lived in a suburb outside of Chicago.
My grandmother came off the boat and settled in Wisconsin many many years ago.
A few years ago I was offerred a job in Wisconsin and was delighted to get back to my native roots. However, to my surprise Illinois plates were a nightmare. In a short time I transferred my plates and my life on the road got easier....but on the job, even living closer to the Wisconsin border most of my life, I was "dubbed" from Chicago.

I do not think your child will suffer, but it will take time to get accepted and have friends in Wisconsin. It's sad to see such stupidity when they want and need Chicago' folks money.
Fortunately the lakes and the rivers and the hills can bring peace to your lifestyle and happiness. Had I known the rejection I would get from the wisconsin people, I would have never relocated. The long and short of it all... I had to leave. It's sad to me and my family but my son and other family folk still live there. There are also some very nice people there and many who never really orginated from Wisconsin anyway....but if you like a slow lifestyle and enjoy the area, just lie and say some other area of Wiscosnin and you will be ok.
LaCrosse area is much nicer than the further North area.
You will be fine.
Just change your plates. (smile)

Old 09-08-2006, 05:12 PM

The last time I remember this kind of prejudice was living in a small town here in Illinois. We definitely experienced it because we were from the devil city - CHICAGO, but the kicker was our neighbor, a dear woman in her late 80's, experienced it also. See she wasn't a native after living there 40 some years. She had a thick Holland accent, which she retained, but her husband and her moved shortly after the war to America and settled in this small town. She lost her husband while we lived there and very few neighbors paid any sort of condolence. It was very sad!

Prejudice is alive and well everywhere. The melting pot hasn't gotten quite warm enough I would guess. Think what people miss though. That woman, Rita, had a lot of fascinating stories to tell about life during the war and how she narrowly escaped some bad situations. Thanks for your contribution and for your insight Cavewoman. I am sad for you though. I do wish you the best in luck with your future.

Old 09-08-2006, 05:36 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,967 times
"I have vacationed for years in Wisconsin and have fallen in love with it."

There you have it. I am in my 60's but I recall that when I was in my teens, my Dad would always say, "Those **** Illinois people have bought up all the cottage land up North." He was right. A lot of the lake-front property is owned by Illinois people and the locals can only vacation there. I talked to a ranger in Door County who said that there is not one lake-front property left in Door County that is not built on.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:36 PM

Hey Azloafer,

Your comment goes for lakes all over the country. In New York State, for instance, the Adirondacks has numerous lakes and pretty rural forest areas that are all high price because of New York City people and Boston people as well. I grew up going to the Adirondacks every Summer for 1 week and my Mom says her dad would roll over in his grave if he knew how that place has changed. I'm 40 years old, by the way. The Fingerlakes region is being bought out by New York City folks. They are tearing down the old cottages and building bigger - bigger - bigger places and the taxes are forcing the smaller cottage owners to sell. Its nasty all over the world, but that's capitolism and that's America. I don't hate people from New York City because they admire what I grew up with, but I do resent the fact that some of my family and friends haven't been able to keep what they had. I would never drive someone off the road because they're from the New York City. The one thing you can count on is that some things change for the better and sometimes not for the better, but change is going to happen whether we want it to or not.

That village in Illinois I lived in wasn't for change either and when Motorola moved in - BOY what a change! People we're practically laying out the gold carpet for them. They were the guest of the parade for the first year. They were given tons of tax breaks and then as soon as they were suppose to start paying the taxes they hauled out of town. It was a crime and a lot of businesses folded and families went away too.

I guess I have mixed feelings when it comes to change, but I do know that I wouldn't say I hate all New York City people or all big businesses. They all have a purpose and a lot of New York City people, pre-9/11 and post 9/11, have a lot of interesting stories. I guess I'll step off my soap box for now. Good night!

Old 09-09-2006, 11:02 AM

33 posts, read 202,576 times
I have lived in Wisconsin all of my life....34 years. I don't hate people from Illinois, but from what I have experienced, the majority have no respect for this state while visiting. For example, every single vehicle that I see....and yes I mean EVERY that is from Illinois driving northwest on I-90 is doing a minimum of 75 mph. I have noticed the drivers are much more agressive than my fellow Wisconsinites. I have a delivery route that consists of the I-90 from Madison to the state line of Illinois and I see it everyday. Another thing is the arrogant attitude I have encountered from almost every Illini I have come in contact with here. It's funny because, down in Illinois when I visit, they come across as much nicer people. In my honest opinion there are three main factors of why people from Wisconsin dont care for the people of Illinois:

1. When THEY visit US, THEY don't have to pay any TOLLS!
2. Way too many people migrating from Chicago
3. Bad driving habits and attitudes

This is my solely expressed opinion based on what I have encountered and seen with my own eyes. Personally I have nothing against Illinois EXCEPT for ROAD TOLLS. I love Chicago and the plains area. Let me know if what I said sounds fair or not....I would love to hear from some Illinois people.

Take care,

Monty

Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 PM

Well this explains how some people formulate opinions and this is how racism is started and prevails. Bad encounters with some equal the whole. Interesting.

Well I lived in the bad part of town and every (you fill in) person I met was a creep, a jerk, a drug user, a gangbanger, a (you fill in it) and therefore, everyone in that race must be a (you fill in it).

Old 09-09-2006, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,099 times
It's definitely an interesting thing to think about.
I can understand where resentment of people based on how others drive, get's started.

I grew up in Lanham, Maryland from 1988 to about 2001, and living in the D.C Metro area definitely exposes you to your fair share of bad drivers. What's more, I lived in Prince George's County, which is predominantly black. So if anyone ever wonders where the angry black woman stereotype comes from - try living there a while. I've seen everything from traffic stops ending with mace to almost being in a head-on in my sisters car because someone felt the need to drive the WRONG LANE up an icy hill.

I never obtained my driver's license while living in Maryland. I never had any desire to, or any aspirations or goals related to driving, because I was dead scared to learn. I was afraid I would get murdered on the road. My mother and I took a trip home to Minnesotta for my 18'th birthday back in 2000 (well her home, I was born in Iowa which we stopped by on the way home) and the first time we went through the toll booths in Illinois I was freaked out. 90mph is NOT an exageration when people talk about others speeding on by and cutting them off.

Well fast forward a few years and although it's taken me a while, I have my license, and I probably never would have learned had it not been for the fact we moved to a small town. Since then I've driven back into MD and lived there for a couple weeks, and then made the journey all the way back out here (Car trouble forcing me to drive downtown to Chicago included).

I've had my share of close calls, both cause and effect, but in general I tend to find Wisconsin drivers more forgiving when you get outside of areas like Madison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin