Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 07:10 PM

220 posts, read 269,996 times

Advertisements

Wanted to find out about safely traveling to Door County. We own property where we keep our camper in the summer. I know most things are closed. Can you put your boat in the water unlike Michigan? Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2020, 07:37 PM

3,300 posts, read 3,026,852 times
At first I thought you must be joking, but in case you're not...

Governor Evers has just extended the Stay At Home order until May 26, non-essential travel is prohibited, and all residents are encouraged to venture out only for essential supplies and services, and otherwise to stay close to their homes.

Here's a quote from WAOW Channel 9 Wausau: "In an interview with Governor Tony Evers News 9 asked him about people traveling to Wisconsin to stay in their vacation homes in the midst of the COVID-19 scare. 'They had a stay at home order before we did so they should not be coming to Wisconsin,' Gov. Evers said. 'Whether they are from Minnesota or Illinois and you have a second home in Wisconsin we have the same expectations for you TO STAY AT HOME. '"

I would imagine that extends to those from states other than Minnesota and Illinois as well.

I would encourage you to Google "Door County Says Stay at Home" for more on what individual communities like Ephraim are saying. (Here's a hint: they want you to stay at home.)

Old 04-17-2020, 07:53 PM

This is not our vacation home. We live in our camper and travel for eight months of the year.

Old 04-17-2020, 10:52 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
I don't know about Door County specifically, but many areas in Central Wisconsin are telling tourists not to come right now.

Plus, state parks are all closed for the foreseeable future, so there's not much to do.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:05 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
So far in Door County there nine confirmed cases of COVID-19 and death.

Johns Hopkins continually updates national data, including at the individual county level. Their website is invaluable.

https://bao.arcgis.com/covid-19/jhu/county/55029.html
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/us-map

Of course, things will be getting worse before they get better. This is especially true of the less urban areas, where the curve is slower to develop for obvious reasons. When will things start getting better? Well, that's the big question, isn't it?

Old 04-18-2020, 02:58 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
Good article about this subject.

https://www.wisconsinwatch.org/2020/...y-coronavirus/

Btw, we are retiring to Door County, and our needs my husband to come out the last week in May to finalize the placement of the electrical wiring for our retirement home. Our tentative move-in date is mid-August, so although this virus is causing many other people MUCH worse problems and some actual tragedies that this personal relatively small concern, I certainly hope that things will calm down by then!

Old 04-18-2020, 06:25 PM

From what we're hearing its turning into a Hatfield vs. McCoy deal. The locals are complaining about people coming. I understand the point but the majority of the people up there started like you with a retirement home.You could put all the "natives" name on one page.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:47 AM

747 posts, read 839,672 times
This past Friday evening I drove from Green Bay to my home near Point Beach. I must have passed 2000 vehicles heading north on I-43. Both northbound lanes were full. Not all going to DC, but heading north somewhere.

There are quite a few Chicago area residents with second homes in my area. We welcome all of them back. Many are coming here to ride this thing out.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:30 PM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
I don't know about Door County specifically, but many areas in Central Wisconsin are telling tourists not to come right now.

Plus, state parks are all closed for the foreseeable future, so there's not much to do.
Not all state parks are closed. More to the south by more populous areas. We live by Rib Mountain and enjoyed a nice visit there today.

Old 04-20-2020, 09:03 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,758,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Not all state parks are closed. More to the south by more populous areas. We live by Rib Mountain and enjoyed a nice visit there today.
True. Not all state parks are closed. Also, I've seen lot's of people fishing Lake Michigan and along the rivers, even on boats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin