Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 07:05 PM

947 posts, read 2,423,353 times

Advertisements

Hey peeps, need some opinions. Going up to our property for my birthday at the end of the week. Closest towns are Ladysmith, Bruce, Rice Lake area. I've never been to a supper club and am really curious. Are there any good ones within an hour ride of this area? If so, what do you recommend-prime rib, steaks or fish?

Thanks! Oh, and is it true they usually make a mean old-fashioned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 07:08 PM

1,568 posts, read 1,551,597 times
Fish fry on Friday and prime rib on Saturday.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:58 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
Supper club in Rice Lake not sure how good it is...Hwy 8 to S and just as come in it is there think it is Lehmans.

Ever eaten at East Bay in Holcombe? Prime rib always good and they have seafood also...Close also just 27 south and past Millers Junk Yard to the right..

For your Birthday go down to river catch a couple Walleye and have hubby cook.. Need directions to property so I can enjoy that walleye also... Happy early birthday Jill...

Saturday night chance of rain with 30's ad 40's temp so dress warm..

Old 11-02-2011, 01:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
I was going to suggest the Old Hayward Pub and Eatery but I've learned to my dismay that it's now a Mexican joint.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 AM

Drover did Hayward used to have a German place also.. Trying to remember back high school years went to one thought in Hayward. Ojibwa used to have one but that burnt years ago didn't it? Otherwise drive south to Eau Claire.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:06 AM

I don't know, I'm not intimately familiar with Hayward, only been there a few times and no further back than 8 or so years ago. I don't ever remember seeing a German place there in my travels. A quick Google search suggests the Ojibwe German place (?!?!) is still there, though not necessarily in its original form:

http://www.chippewainnsupperclub.com/

It definitely looks like a supper club-type place worth checking out.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:25 AM

Thanks that is the German place went to and food was awesome..Had American food also but to get real German cooking like that mmmm and within a hour of Jill's cabin. See new owners since I was there as was in 1981, but was where tried veal for first time and other authentic German foods on menu we got t try and teacher that took us said food was just as good as was in Germany. Of course he to do do the beer and we could not. One more place just north of Rice lake cannot remember name but on a Island in a lake so unsure if closed down yet but they ferry across that place had great food also.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM

947 posts, read 2,423,353 times
Thank you, Kurt! Last month we were up at Big Falls Flowage and caught quite a few small mouth! I caught one that was about 14 in.! My husband caught two northern off our property. Right now, we have only a pole barn that we are in the process of building a room for ourselves instead of camping in our pop-up. The cabin is a five year plan, lol.

Drover, that link looks very promising. We have eaten in three places in Hayward, none of them Mexican or German. There is a nice brewery there called The Angry Minnow, a bit pricey, but the beer and the food is really good. The steakhouse looks worth checking out.

I went online and looked at the Blue Hills Supper Club and there were some comments on it that were worrisome, so if we choose to eat closer it would be the on on Highway 8 or Lehmans.

Thanks, guys.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:53 AM

There's another brewery in Hayward called Muskie Capital. Their brewpub used to be in the back of Old Hayward Eatery, which I hear is now a Mexican place called El Mariachi's. I also understand that, despite the restaurant change, Muskie Capital still operates its brewpub in the back room.

I've never tried the food at Angry Minnow, though the menu did look pretty good. I wasn't that impressed with the beer and I was even less impressed with the service. They all seemed like they'd rather be somewhere else. I've heard through the grapevine that the Angry Minnow owners are tyrants so that might explain the demeanor of the waitstaff, and the name of the place for that matter. I've tried to like Angry Minnow -- it's a really cool physical space -- but the combination of the "meh" beer and the overall vibe makes me less enthusiastic about it. IMO Muskie Capital's beers are better and more consistent.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Blue Hills supper club is not all that great Jill. Next summer should take ya smallie fishing we catch em 20-23 inches and we do catch and release..Just nice to catch them.

Chippewa Inn Supper club used to be great and heard many good things about Lehmans... Either direction just watch out for the deer as rut should be starting soon though not seen it on trail cams yet. On hwy 8 between Rusk county line and that rest area big time deer crossing areas though. Fresh venison be good for birthday but not if wreck vehicle to get.
27 north from Cedar lodge north be watching close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin