Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 01:24 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeWisco View Post
Wow...these posts get tiring. I didn't find the driving in Wisconsin all that different from anywhere else in the country. Americans as a whole are lousy drivers when compared to our European cousins. You can't tell me you never ONCE had a bad driver in other parts of the country. I see the same issues where I live now: no turn-signals, cutting you off just to make the first right turn coming up thereby almost causing you to rear-end the moron, red-light runners (it's gotten so bad where I live in AZ that they've installed cameras now at major intersections). Bad driving is NOT a Wisconsin thing...it's just a lazy, inconsiderate drivers thing.

Rather than making this public and riling up certain people, I sent you a dm, Wannabe....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM

61 posts, read 137,943 times
Just wrote you back wisconsin woman.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:54 PM

I was in 2 accidents and one near miss in a 5 year period in the Phx metro area. None were my fault. One was a red light runner, and the other failed to yield to a commercial vehicle and got mad at the cop while he was writing HER the ticket. The near miss was another red light runner who flipped me off as he sped through the red light.
But then again, these things happen everywhere, not just one city (for those of you who love Phoenx).

Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
at least they drive FAST in wisconsin. So many of the farmer types around here put along 5 below the speed limit in the towns. On the interstate it's another matter... you can fly out here... cops don't care if you do 85 in a 75. In WI they typically go 75 in a 65, but the roads are straight and flat out here. The Illinois drivers are the most annoying, or anyone that tries to go 90 on the interstate in moderate to heavy traffic weaving all around like they are playing a video game. Gotta have some balance between both extremes of the spectrum.

You know that old saying, anyone who drives faster than me is an idiot, anyone who drives slower, is a moron.

90/94 from Madison to Tomah is probably my favorite stretch to travel on. Speeds can be quite variable but once you get a group of cars going fast together, it's an enjoyable ride.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,612,023 times
I think I'm going to go over to the Minnesota thread and complain about driving, . It seems pointless to **** and moan about driving, it's bad no matter where you go.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,111,797 times
Also another thing, when existing the freeway don't slow down until you are on the off ramp that's why we built extra long off ramps. This is in your rule book read it! no reason to slow down a whole because you are exiting.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:21 AM

57 posts, read 163,318 times
In my driver's training, I was taught to "speed up to the flow of traffic" ! ! !
Driving in Detroit for 30 years, I can appreciate a lot of things here in Wisconsin. One being the fact that on the freeway, people actually slow down or pull over to traffic on the side of the road. Also, a lot of people pull over to merging traffic. You can't do that in Detroit or you will be runover. On 696, in the right lane, you better be driving 70mph and there are no long exit ramps there. The average speed on this stretch of freeway is 85mph.

In Detroit, Stop Signs are SUGGESTIONS not the norm. Yield Signs are a joke. So every corner should be treated as a 4-way stop unless you want to be T-Boned. As for Pedestrians, they are just moving targets like in a video game. I have seen more people stop of Pedestrians then I have seen people NOT stop.

Like everyone has posted, no matter the City, State OR Country = Bad Drivers are EVERYWHERE ! ! !

Old 11-25-2011, 04:34 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,876,952 times
Well... it is a bit crazy to post about bad drivers... as long as there is humans behind the wheel it will be a guessing game what they will do... I work auto claims and it is "job security" because as along as there are autos and trucks and insurance, I will have more then enough work. Unbelievable how many run red lights and stop signs... like another post stated.. they are a suggestion and very rarely used. I know when I do my walk twice a day to always stop before I cross at a stop sign because the F250 that is coming my way will run you over!!... How many times I thought if the city wanted to make a few extra bucks just park themselves at the stop signs...

Black Friday and I'm working.. parking lots are the most dangerous so be careful out there... no one ever looks when backing up and 80% of claims this time of year are parking lot accidents... enjoy and STAY OFF your CELL... nothing that can't wait until it's safe..

Old 11-25-2011, 06:35 AM

Good reply, Naturesdreams....always watch for the other guy because holiday season anytime of year, theyre sure not gonna be looking out for you!!

Old 11-25-2011, 07:31 AM

5,509 posts, read 11,877,648 times
All I can say is that in the Twin Cities and along I-90/94 through Wisconsin to Chicago, I find the WI drivers to be pretty bad as well. My biggest peeve is the left lane driving and cutting off (as the OP mentioned)......and it's INTENTIONAL, not naive. It's a good 6-7 hours to Chicago and most of it is in WI, and if that's not stressful enough, I end up yelling or slapping my head once or twice each trip and it's usually directed at a WI native. I don't know why. Think of it as a local "quirk".

There is also the aforementioned politeness factor that people don't consider as much. (I mean, how often do people notice when things are alright or done correctly vs. incorrectly?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin