Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2011, 06:18 AM

334 posts, read 1,495,735 times

Advertisements

We are taking a train from Michigan to Montana in December. I would like to hear from anyone who has traveled this route and can give me any advice or information. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2011, 08:27 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,882,913 times
Not really much advice to give; you'll pick up the Empire Builder in Chicago, and travel through such cities as Milwaukee, LaCrosse, Minn-St.Paul, Fargo, across North Dakota and Montana, and it will likely be quite cold when you're going; otherwise, not particularly remarkable...

Old 11-23-2011, 08:39 AM

711 posts, read 1,685,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondgirl45 View Post
We are taking a train from Michigan to Montana in December. I would like to hear from anyone who has traveled this route and can give me any advice or information. Thank you.
I took the Empire Builder from Milwaukee to Seattle a couple years ago. Generally, you'll catch the train in Chicago in the late morning/early afternoon & most of your train ride will be at night. I would bring lots of reading material & some snacks for yourself. You don't really have the best cell phone reception, although there are a couple longer station stops where you can get out and stretch your legs or make calls.

The cafe/observation car is really nice for some stretches in Montana. Also, watching the landscape slowly change and slip from one region to another is very memorable. Bring a camera! All your pictures won't turn out because of window glare, but I was able to snap some great photos just from the train.

Being younger, I don't have alot of vacation time... but I would definately take the trip again someday.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:15 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,904,454 times
My close friend has done almost the exact trip once or twice and just did a trip up the entire West Coast. Her friends have also done the northern tier route and their advice to her was to get a sleeper car. She declared that it was the best advice ever given and one that she now gives out regularly. She said the upgrade in cost more than pays for itself in comfort, quiet, ease, etc.

I dropped her off at the station for this last trip and the porters were extremely nice and helpful. She liked having a spot to store her carry-on baggage (the only kind she brought), a place to escape from any crazies on the train, etc. She also had wifi access for her laptop. Also, because she was catching a train in LA to head north, the sleeper car option for the first leg meant she would be given preferentional treatment if the first train ran too late to catch the northbound train.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 4,855,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
My close friend has done almost the exact trip once or twice and just did a trip up the entire West Coast. Her friends have also done the northern tier route and their advice to her was to get a sleeper car. She declared that it was the best advice ever given and one that she now gives out regularly. She said the upgrade in cost more than pays for itself in comfort, quiet, ease, etc.
And it includes all the meals too.

I've taken the train from Ann Arbor to Chicago - the Wolverine. It's not much different from a commuter train - no checked bags, no sleeper cars (the whole trip doesn't last more than 5 hours anyway), no meal service.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:48 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,157,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
And it includes all the meals too.

I've taken the train from Ann Arbor to Chicago - the Wolverine. It's not much different from a commuter train - no checked bags, no sleeper cars (the whole trip doesn't last more than 5 hours anyway), no meal service.
Make sure that you dress for the weather. I would suggest layering. Than a comfy warm coat, over a hoodie is good , your mittens/gloves, the floors are a bit drafty, so some thick socks., snow boots/whatever you wear. I would also suggest a blanket and pillow if you have them. Also, if you like to read, make sure and pick up a good book, and a book reading light( I get mine at the dollar store). Some snacks, your ipod, or whatever. It gets very cold against the glass through the cold regions....which is all of the area you're traveling east to west. Think cold drafty car ride. Be safe, and enjoy your trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: