Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:30 PM

311 posts, read 634,576 times

Advertisements

We are looking at moving to the Peshtigo area.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the schools.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 5,603 times
Hey Northern Bound.

What would you like to know about the school in the area exactly?

Peshtigo has 1 elementary school and 1 combined middle and highs chool.

About 5 miles north of Peshtigo is Marinette which has 3 elementary schools, a middle school, and a highschool

And just north of the river is Menominee Michigan. I'm pretty sure they have separate middle and highschool but I am not familiar with their district.

There is also a private elementary in Menominee (Menominee Catholic Central)

There is also Saint Thomas Aquinas academy in Marinette which has its elementary campus in Peshtigo and its highschool in Marinette.

If you have any more questions I can try to help answering since I'm from the area.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 AM

We have narrowed it down to Peshtigo. From the information I can gather online Peshtigo seemed to have the best school district for the area.

Some things I wonder about would be how long of a bus ride my kids will have? I do read their newspaper online and there just was an article about changing routes and it shouldn't take more than 45 min. to get kids home. We don't plan on living in town.

What are class sizes like?

By the time we move my middle son will have 2 years left in the elementary since it goes to 6th grade.
When we've driven around we've seen there are 3 buildings. We've been in the elementary for a craft fair and the middle/high school for a fire dept. breakfast. What is the other building? The one closet to the campground park.

We have some time before moving (about 18 months yet) but I want this to be as smooth as possible for my kids. When it gets closer I'll probably contact the schools and see if I can bring the kids in.

Thanks, and any other information you'd want to share about the area would be great!

Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,603 times
I wouldn't know much about class size or bus ride length because I didn't attend the Peshtigo schools. 45 minutes probably isn't a bad estimate for the maximum time because of some of the rural areas that Peshtigo buses from. It really depends on how far out in the country you live.

For class size this site has some graphics and data about that. I don't know how up to date it is but I cant imagine dramatic changes.

Peshtigo Middle/High School in Peshtigo, Wisconsin/WI - School Tree

The one closest to Badger Park should be the elementary school and the high school is on the other side of the creek. It was probably one of the private schools because the two public schools should be right next to each other.

Sorry I can't answer your questions about the district as I'm not extremely familiar with the Peshtigo system. If you have any questions about the area though I'd be more than happy to see if I can try to answer them.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:36 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,270 times
My husband went to school in Peshtigo and I have nieces and nephews there currently. I've heard really good things about Peshtigo schools but I couldn't tell you about the buildings (I have no idea). The bus ride really depends on where you live.
We visit Peshtigo often and my kids love the big park near the school. The Fire Museum is really interesting too. Peshtigo would be so much different today if the fire wouldn't have wiped out the town. Some say it would be as big as Chicago. (not sure about that)

Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Here's a link to their school home page:

Peshtigo School District

When we've driven by I think one building said Peshtigo Learning Center (closest to the park), next to that was the elementary, then over the bridge middle/high.

As we get closer to moving I'll contact the school so my kids can see it.

I'd love to know the good restaurants in the area, sledding spots, swimming areas. The more info I have the easier I'm hoping the transition will be for my kids.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:58 AM

1 posts, read 2,759 times
Northern Bound...

When are you moving? We are actually moving to the area in May, as my husband started a job based in Menomonee. We had decided on living in Marinette (he is actually looking at houses today) but after reading some of these posts, may have to rethink and consider Peshtigo, too. I really like being so close to the water, but we have three school aged kids and sounds like Peshtigo has better schools.

Anyone have any comments on the athletic programs Marinette vs. Peshtigo?

Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM

We're not moving until next year. I just like to be ahead of the game. lol I want my kids to get used to the idea of moving and the area. This gives us LOTS of time to visit and discuss what it'll be like. We have family within 1/2 hour of the area so we try and make it to some of the local activities as much as we can.

I've bookmarked the areas newspapers:

Marinette:
EHEXTRA - Marinette, WI

Peshtigo:
Peshtigo Times Wisconsin Community Newspaper

Those could possibly give you a glimpse at the athletic depts.

School District boundary map for Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Map Boundary of Peshtigo, WI (USD)

Old 09-16-2012, 08:23 AM

3 posts, read 5,850 times
Peshtigo School - Elementary runs up to 6th grade. 7 through 12 are in the high school. Elementary is better then the high school but with a new principle and counselor in the school in the high maybe we will see changes for the better. If you live in town the schools are located to where the kids could walk to school it is kind of centrally located. It is not a big town maybe 2 miles from one end to the other.The town well I have my opinions, and the police department is another.. There are even teachers who don't live in this town they live in Marinette or the country. If you have never lived here you will be treated like an outsider and always will even 30 years later. For a small town we have a good amount of crime. There is nothing for the kids to do in this town and that is part of the problem. Marinette has the civic center and Menominee has the YMCA, those sities have more activities for children. Taxes are higher in Peshtigo. We do have a river to swim in with a small beach but not many people go swimming in it. The city doesn't take care of it like they should. Marinette has several places to go swimming and several parks.We do have a nice park for the kids. If you don't mind everyone in your business, the gossip, and drama...Marinette is better to live in but Peshtigo has a better school system.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:52 AM

3 posts, read 5,850 times
The bus route was changed to cut down on expenses. They have buses for the kids in town also. Although older children can walk if living in town and they miss the bus.It is a very small town.
Class sizes in the Middle/High are usually 20-30 kids.
However they are talking about building a new Middle/High school behind the park. Your child would probably be graduated by the time they finish.
We also got a new cook in the school so now we have healthy lunches. Hopefully it will last.They had also took out the soda machines, and junk food.
If you decide to drop your child off at school the doors usually open at 7:30 for the kids to get breakfast.
About 3-4 years ago the schools updated the security to protect the kids because a teachers husband went on a rampage at the school. No one was hurt thankfully.
If the kids have a cell phones there are not much rules about them using it during class time.
The bridge is out right now, and we have been seeing a lot of break-ins which you won't see much of in the paper.
You are smart not moving right into town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin