Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM

149 posts, read 315,094 times

Advertisements

Its beautiful here for about 8 months of the year. The river, the bluffs (not flat like eastern WI). The "Driftless Area" has a lot going for it, just winter can be a little brutal.

Warmed back up the last 12hrs...above 20F. Weird how 20F can feel mild.

In life, a person needs to take the good with the bad (i need to tell myself that more often!)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 09:13 PM

328 posts, read 654,582 times
We pretty much got a FREE month+ of winter....please do not complain. If Its really that terrible, you'd move...I dont know if you remember last year, but we basically had 6 months of winter, it never warmed up, it was colder, snowier, and much easier to complain about...this is nothing, I'll take this, and I hate winter just as much as you....Also, while I did very much enjoy a dry December, the snow allows me to take some spectacular shots.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
I'm sick of winter and it's only been here for a week. that's enough for me! We got back from Florida last Tuesday into -10 wind chill at MKE. Of course no snow scraper in the truck, so my hubby was out there, no gloves, with a CD case, scraping the windshield. I can't wait to move to SW Florida. We have a vacant lot on a canal on Charlotte Harbor and can't wait to build on it.
Now if we didn't have these pesky jobs...

Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM

149 posts, read 315,094 times
Just checking in. 35F out and sunny...winter still sucks. Can't wait for March. Probably get snow in April this year. 10 straight days of clouds and rain in June (that has happened before).

Old 01-26-2012, 12:13 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
Not sunny in madison, Frank! So at least you've got that going for ya. BUT, one week from day and it's February!! February can't be as bad as January, right? RIGHT?? Please tell me I'm right!!!

Old 01-26-2012, 07:13 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,448,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craptacular View Post
Out of all the place mentioned, I would definitely go for Denver, or the Front Range in general. The low humidity allows for a nice range of temps, with cool nights after warm / hot days. Snow tends to melt pretty quickly, rather than the deep freeze that often follows our winter storms. If you like the snow (which I do), there's plenty of it not too far west! Plenty of sunshine, but not continuous overbearing heat.
Just for the record - Denver has worse pollution than Los Angeles. When we were deciding where to move (from LA) Denver was ruled out - we were there in summer - and couldn't see across town.

But that was 21 years ago - and now in winter here in Northern Utah - our inversion/smog/pollution is bad too. All those folks moving in from CA and Wisconsin - hah!

VERY dry winters, however...snow is like styrofoam... you barely have to shovel it.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:25 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,856,674 times
If I get tired of the cold, I just remember the 30 years I spent in the deep south where you didn't go outside 4-5 months out of the year due to the extreme heat.
If I'm not sweatin', I'm happy.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:22 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
If I get tired of the cold, I just remember the 30 years I spent in the deep south where you didn't go outside 4-5 months out of the year due to the extreme heat.
If I'm not sweatin', I'm happy.
i have to smile as we're the exact opposite; we wouldnt go outside unless we had to in WI winter, and dont mind the SC summers at all. Oh sure i could use a shower just after getting the mail lol, but we found for us it's easier to get used to the heat rather then the cold (which we were born/raised in).
Different strokes.....

Old 01-28-2012, 05:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Well, this winter has been a pile of suck because it's been too mild. Ice trials season usually starts the first week of January. So far every ice trial event hosted by WAG has been cancelled because the ice is too thin. The one in Eagle River next weekend will probably go on as scheduled but unfortunately that's too far from me. I'm starting to wonder if any of the regularly scheduled ice trials in Hustisford are going to happen this year.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:41 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, this winter has been a pile of suck because it's been too mild. Ice trials season usually starts the first week of January. So far every ice trial event hosted by WAG has been cancelled because the ice is too thin. The one in Eagle River next weekend will probably go on as scheduled but unfortunately that's too far from me. I'm starting to wonder if any of the regularly scheduled ice trials in Hustisford are going to happen this year.
You know the winter has been ridiculously warm if the only good place to have the ice event is in Eagle River. I think the coldest it has been there this winter has been -25 or -26F. For the most part, temperatures have been well above average everywhere courtesy of a Pacific flow coast to coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin