Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 07:14 PM

11 posts, read 67,481 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm new here and I was delighted to find this forum on the web! What a great website.

So I am presently living in Michigan, but I plan to move to the state of Wisconsin this summer. I'm trying to decide on a town to relocate to. Which would you say is the most beautiful/visually pleasing town in Wisconsin? I've been eyeing (and researching) Mineral Point and Stevens Point for a while. The buildings and streets in Mineral Point look especially pretty.

I used the word "town" in my question because I'd like to live in a small(ish) town as opposed to a big city. Preferably somewhere thats easy enough to get around if you have a bicycle but no car. I would be renting a small apartment or room that's in walking distance (or bus riding distance) to the grocery store and other necessities. I also love the outdoors and plan to be spending quite a bit of time out in nature. But it's the appearance of the town itself --the buldings, streets, etc-- that are of most importance to me.

So what do you think? What is the most beautiful town in Wisconsin?

Last edited by plantedbystreams; 02-18-2012 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 07:26 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Grafton. Amazing amount of commercial shopping right along the interstate, plenty of sports bars and restaurants, great downtown, bike path across the entire county north to south, (ozaukee interurban trail, is marked on google maps), near lake michigan, tons of parks nearby. Aside from Mequon and Cederburg, one of the most expensive towns to perhaps live in in the state. All of Ozaukee county is really nice. Port Washington and Belgium would be cheaper to live in and still close enough. Both towns also intersect that bike path.

Last edited by sholomar; 02-18-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 PM

12 posts, read 41,220 times
Ephriam (Door Cty)

Old 02-18-2012, 11:00 PM

483 posts, read 1,222,060 times
I disagree with Grafton being the "prettiest" town in Wisconsin. It's just another bland suburb, almost far enough out to be an ex-urb. Either way, you will really be struggling in a small Wisconsin town without a car. In Milwaukee County and I'm sure around Madison it is plausible to rely on the bus, but anywhere else... forget it. I know you said you have a bicycle... but when you need to go to the store in January, how pleasant/safe is that going to be?

I think you're in the right ballpark with Stevens Point. It will have a decent amount of rentals because of the college population. I used to spend a lot of time around Glenbeulah, it's very charming with a couple events (like the firemen's picnic) in the summer. However, you will need to go to Plymouth for groceries, not really doable without a car. Also don't think you'd find anything to rent there, but it's a possibility.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:26 PM

365 posts, read 779,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehrs View Post
Ephriam (Door Cty)
I'll second that.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:45 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
You might look into a town somewhere in the driftless area. Mineral Point, Dodgeville, Prairie du Sac/Sauk City, Virocqua, La Crosse, etc. Often there's nothing spectacular about the towns themselves -- typically they're built in the flat valleys because that's the easiest place to build towns -- but they're often neat and tidy little places and the surrounding countryside is quite lovely.

If you're more into the Northwoods/Lake Country motiff, there's always the resort areas like Sturgeon Bay, Eagle River, Minocqua, Arbor Vitae, Hayward, et cetera.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 AM

662 posts, read 1,450,934 times
Spring Green is the most beautiful town in Wisconsin. Located in the valley close to green, rolling hills and the beautiful Wisconsin River, it boasts a world-class Shakespearean/classical theater, Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin and numerous art galleries. It is only a 40 minute drive to Madison and The Wisconsin Dells, various ski hills and other attractions.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:29 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbystreams View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I was delighted to find this forum on the web! What a great website.

So I am presently living in Michigan, but I plan to move to the state of Wisconsin this summer. I'm trying to decide on a town to relocate to. Which would you say is the most beautiful/visually pleasing town in Wisconsin? I've been eyeing (and researching) Mineral Point and Stevens Point for a while. The buildings and streets in Mineral Point look especially pretty.

I used the word "town" in my question because I'd like to live in a small(ish) town as opposed to a big city. Preferably somewhere thats easy enough to get around if you have a bicycle but no car. I would be renting a small apartment or room that's in walking distance (or bus riding distance) to the grocery store and other necessities. I also love the outdoors and plan to be spending quite a bit of time out in nature. But it's the appearance of the town itself --the buldings, streets, etc-- that are of most importance to me.

So what do you think? What is the most beautiful town in Wisconsin?

Where in Michigan are you moving from?

Old 02-19-2012, 07:06 PM

14,322 posts, read 14,620,586 times
The driftless area is really pretty, and Mineral Point is nice, hard to imagine being in a small town, apart from other towns then not having transportation to get from point A to point B.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
This may not be the ideal place but LaCrosse has been mentioned so I thought I would point out somethings about the area. It is very nice with the rivers,and bluffs around it. You can get around by bicycle but they also have a very good MTU system which also provides some service to outlying areas like Onalaska. If you like public transportation, you can get everything you need done by riding the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin