Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2012, 10:35 PM

136 posts, read 329,642 times

Advertisements

Just starting to look for information. Planning a road trip from Florida to Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota spring of 2013 and need ideas of the best things to do/what not to miss for a week in each state. We are retired and like parks, quaint towns and cities, lighthouses, museums, etc. We are not boaters or fishermen. Don't mind driving from a central point or 2 in each state. We drove to Oregon & Washington last year, Utah, Montana & South Dakota the year before. We usually make a circle within the state to hit the best spots but this may be more of a zig-zag.
No definite dates yet but before summer. This is a warm winter and know next year could be different. Not familiar with your weather but we don't mind cold as long as it doesn't snow too much in April/May. By the way, we are having high 70's and 80's here.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2012, 11:31 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
That might depend on when in spring. Spring in March is very, very different from spring in May...

There are lots of lighthouses along the Michigan and Superior shorelines. Lots of quaint towns scattered throughout. Lots of state parks and a handful of national ones too. I recommend driving through the driftless area (the part that didn't get flattened by glaciers) in the southwest part of the state and the Chequamegon-Nicolet forest area up north. Unfortunately, there may not be much green to see in the forests, even in late spring. (Come to think of it, there is quite a bit of evergreen mixed in up north, so maybe you'll see some.)

Last edited by Drover; 03-02-2012 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
It would be cool if you started your trip in Michigan. When your in Upper Michigan than you can go south into Wisconsin, Check out a town in Northern Wisconsin. Make your way south towards Green Bay, Drive along Lake Michigan and visit the lake towns (Manitowc, Sheboygan) Head down to Milwaukee than hang out there, than head east to Madison and Wisconsin Dells than take I-90 to La Crosse and enter Minnesota from there

Sheboygan County Chamber | So Much. So Close.
Manitowoc, WI - Official Website
www.visitmilwaukee.org
Greater Madison Convention & Visitors Bureau
Wisconsin Tourism Info - Lodging, Attractions & More | Wisconsin Dells

Old 03-06-2012, 07:41 PM

328 posts, read 655,004 times
If you get close to la crosse, consider heading south for a bit on 14 and enjoying arguably Wisconsin best land....the driftless area...rolling hills and rustic little towns at their best.....Otherwise like stated above, the lake superior shoreline is pretty great, stop at cornucopia if you can, its Wisconsin's most northern village....also, the majority of our states waterfalls are found up in that area....Copper State Falls is a must. Good luck and hope you enjoy your pass through Wisconsin.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:06 AM

Thank you for all the ideas. I will look into all these suggestions. I appreciate the definitions of area names like "driftless area". I am totally unfamiliar with these states and enjoy learning about them. We do so much research before our trips and with your help it makes it easier. Thank you all.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:24 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
Some spots we would suggest are Door County, Minocqua/Eagle River area for the northwoods history, as suggested the LaCrosse area or River Road along the Mississippi and a stop at the Farmers market around the Capital in Madison is nice. I would recommend a May trip for a chance at better weather.

As a side note there are 100's of other towns in WI that are just plain nice to visit.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:27 AM

Thank you for all the ideas. Usually a May trip beats High Season prices and kids out of school. Looks like our best drive will be up thru Michigan and Upper Peninsular reagion down into Wisconsin, then over to Minnesota. We have requested all travel information/brochures from the states travel bureaus but Wisconsin hasn't sent any yet. We already have a stack 5 inches deep from Minnesota and things are trickling in from Michigan. Still have over a year. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
If lighthouses are your thing, a trip through both chunks of Michigan is definitely in order with it having lots of shoreline along 3 of the 5 Great Lakes. It will probably still be a bit chilly in the UP, maybe even spots of snow here and there if it's early May. As they say in the UP, "we have two seasons: Winter's Coming and Winter's Here."

IMO the portion of Wisconsin that borders Michigan is the nicest part of the state. Whether you head south from there along the Lake Michigan shoreline toward Green Bay and Milwaukee or stay north along the Lake Superior shoreline toward Duluth, you'll have a chance to see more lighthouses along the way. That said, there are a lot more along the Michigan shoreline toward Green Bay and Milwaukee.

Here's a map of Wisconsin lighthouses: Wisconsin Lighthouse Map

Same for Michigan: Michigan Lighthouse Map

Old 03-19-2012, 11:27 AM

947 posts, read 2,423,543 times
I loved Door County! Quite a few bed & breakfast places there. Beautiful state park, too. This late spring, I plan to see the Apostle Islands in Bayfield. I will let you know about it.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:48 PM

Thanks everyone. I did get a nice book/pamphlet on Door County. It looks like somewhere I want to spend some time. Started getting so many pamphlets and info I had to separate into piles of different sections of the state. I didn't know Wisconsin was so beautiful. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin