Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,787 times

Advertisements

I am an artist and would like to live in a small town that gets enough tourists to be able to make money. I am hoping to open an art shop and breakfast/soup place and was wondering if Eagle River was the place. What is Eagle River like and what are the people and tourists like? Does anyone know any other places that I should check out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 07:05 AM

6 posts, read 56,563 times
I live near Eagle River in St Germain. It is a very tourist driven economy. The summer is very busy with family vacationers and the winter is buzzing with snowmobilers. You would in my opinion have a pretty good buisiness in the summer months but may struggle in the rest of the seasons.

I have 3 children in the schools here and am pretty happy with them. They really encourage parent involvement, which I like.

As far as the people and the tourist go, there are good and bad everywhere.

Good luck with your venture, I hope you find the place that is right for you. Check out the local chamber web sites for some other info that may be helpful. I also like (broken link) it lets you compare cities on topics like crime and cost of living.

Lynn

Last edited by Yac; 10-24-2006 at 11:24 AM.. Reason: link removed

Old 10-24-2006, 10:38 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,366,373 times
Never been to Eagle River, but I knew a somewhat close friend who was fond of going there every summer(and I believe still does, to my knowledge). I think her family owned a house on some lake near there, or something along those lines. Anyway, from what I've heard of it, it seems like a very nice town, though its somewhat out of the way of midsize cities(Wausau being the closest decent-sized city). I would suspect it probably gets some tourism, however(being near Minocqua, another touristy town, and a place I've often seen T-shirts of).

Good luck with wherever you decide to set up your business at!

Old 11-03-2006, 12:57 PM

26 posts, read 116,840 times
Eagle River is nice, but very touristy. I agree with lalexander98 about possibly struggling thru fall, winter and spring. Working in the media, I see who advertises when... GOOD LUCK to you though!

Old 11-06-2006, 04:09 PM

153 posts, read 711,152 times
I've always liked Eagle River, very nice area.

Though I will agree with other posters, it's VERY touristy.

Lots of good places to eat though! Plenty of outdoors stuff to do.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:18 AM

22 posts, read 84,369 times
Very outdoor oriented place and cold! I hear good things about it, but it is kind of isolated. It goods tourists in the summer but I think kind of shuts down in the winter. I don't know if you could make a living there year round. [URL removed]

Last edited by suzco; 04-02-2008 at 10:30 AM..

Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
In my own opinion I would say out of Eagle River, St. Germain and Minocqua. Your best bet would probably be Minocqua. Yes St. Germain is touristy, but
St. Germain is more of a town with lake cottages and some restaurants etc. Minocqua has a petting zoo, Wal Mart, Triggs grocery store. I can't remember the third store, I know they sell IGA products. Eagle River seems more like St. Germain if you ask me. So if your looking for tourist, and amenities for daily living Minocqua is the place.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 AM

537 posts, read 1,939,258 times
Eagle River doesn't shut down in the winter. Big snowmobile area. Hosts the Snowmobile races in January and has other events in winter, Klondike Days etc.
Trigs is an awesome store. They opened in Wausa and it is the only store I shop at.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:53 PM

387 posts, read 1,331,325 times
We went to the Snowmobile Derby this winter. It was a lot fun and lots of people were there for it.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:14 PM

255 posts, read 1,195,594 times
I agree with Josh B. Minocqua came to mind for me too. We lived in Price County for 7 years and know that part of the world well since we loved to travel out of town. There are always tons of snowmobilers, ice fishermen and folks who love the outdoors around in the winter months. IMO a visit would be worth the effort before making a move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin