Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:00 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by latte_sipper View Post
Thanks for this post. I'm considering a move to Wisconsin and I like to research things to death before deciding. I have visited a couple times in the past few months and really love it. I know visiting isn't the same as living, so anything I can read from current and former residents is helpful.
Do you live in Albuquerque right now Latte sipper? I just moved here in August--I'm the OP on this thread. I was born and raised in WI. If you want to know some comparisons, let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 11:37 AM

10 posts, read 20,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Do you live in Albuquerque right now Latte sipper? I just moved here in August--I'm the OP on this thread. I was born and raised in WI. If you want to know some comparisons, let me know.
Wow! I would love that. I've been in Abq about 1.5 years. Moved from Southern Cal, grew up in Georgia, born in Pennsylvania. I find the most similarities between Wisconsin and PA, of course. The problem is that people I meet here who are from the Upper Midwest usually tell you all the bad things that made them leave, and the people I meet in Wisconsin tell you all the wonderful things that make them stay. I couldn't even find someone who would complain about winter! They just told wonderful stories of snow days.

When I have visited I realized all the things I have missed while living in the West for the past 9 years. Trees and rain being two major ones. I know it's hard to say whether you will like living somewhere until you do, but I'd love to get your take since you live here in Abq now but seem to still carry a torch for Wisconsin.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:05 PM

662 posts, read 1,450,822 times
Quote:
Wow! I would love that. I've been in Abq about 1.5 years. Moved from Southern Cal, grew up in Georgia, born in Pennsylvania. I find the most similarities between Wisconsin and PA, of course. The problem is that people I meet here who are from the Upper Midwest usually tell you all the bad things that made them leave, and the people I meet in Wisconsin tell you all the wonderful things that make them stay. I couldn't even find someone who would complain about winter! They just told wonderful stories of snow days.

When I have visited I realized all the things I have missed while living in the West for the past 9 years. Trees and rain being two major ones. I know it's hard to say whether you will like living somewhere until you do, but I'd love to get your take since you live here in Abq now but seem to still carry a torch for Wisconsin.
I left WI in 1994. I lived in Israel for seven years, Texas for 11 years and now ABQ for about eight months. I would move back to Wisconsin in a heartbeat, but I do have family and friends there, which makes a big difference. I'm also not unhappy here in ABQ. I much prefer the weather here to the intolerable heat of Dallas and Austin.

In addition to my list of 25 things I miss about Wisconsin, there are a few things I like about WI more than here in ABQ. First of all, here in ABQ, one can feel like you are an island in the middle of nowhere. If you live in Milwaukee or Madison, you are very close to Chicago and the Twin Cities as well. I do love having actual weather--a big thunderstorm, a blizzard. I also like having lots of water--the many small lakes and of course the Great Lakes in WI.

When I get to the airport in WI and see all of the blond, chubby people, my heart warms. Yes, I'm part Scandinavian, part Irish and German and these are my peeps

As for the cold, it is much colder in WI than here. Also, there is a lot more snow. This past year was very mild, but usually this is the case. I'm not sure how well I would handle that. People are down to earth and friendly in both places. I'd say a bit friendlier here in ABQ.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
To the OP: As a former resident, born and raised in Wisconsin those are all great things. Unfortunately high taxes, scarcity of jobs and cold winters nulify all the other good things. Its a lot like Florida. Its great to visit at the right time of year, in the right place, but it has so many other problems that it just doesn't work out for a lot of people.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:32 PM

61 posts, read 137,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
To the OP: As a former resident, born and raised in Wisconsin those are all great things. Unfortunately high taxes, scarcity of jobs and cold winters nulify all the other good things. Its a lot like Florida. Its great to visit at the right time of year, in the right place, but it has so many other problems that it just doesn't work out for a lot of people.

It's always interesting to see how differently people view the same region.

Compared to where I live now, Wisconsin has more opportunities in the field my spouse has a degree in (my specialty can be used anywhere so it's not as critical). Taxes aren't much worse up there than where we live currently (compared to what we get for it that is) but Wisconsin actually sees some of it put to good use. We keep paying and paying and see no return on it in any area. Cold winters for us will be welcome in exchange for mild summers instead of the excruciating heat and off-the-chart UV index we get most of the year here. No place is perfect for everyone, but some are perfect for a few and it all depends on your perspective, experience and what you want for your life.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:26 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,915,475 times
I agree with WannaBeWisco on taxes. I feel like the taxes are killing me here. My property taxes are very similar to my parents in Wisconsin, one of us pays $300 more, I can't remember which one. We have close to the same footage, but they did a complete remodel less than ten years ago, while ours is 30 years old and hadn't been touched until we got it, and they have twice the land. Also, we have a 9% sales tax; the last time I heard, Wisconsin had a 6% sales tax. Plus, Wisc. schools are better and yes, even the roads are better.

Sorry to go on that tangent, but I get tired of the "Wisconsin has such high taxes" schtick.

Winters can be really bad--or gorgous--depending on your personality. If you are really into sports and/or the outdoors, or really love curling up with a good book or movie and cuddling, then winters may not seem to bad. One thing I love about northern winters is that it gives you an excuse to stay in and read that book, or bake some cookies or such. I also love skiing (both types) and snowshoeing and such.

That said, it is much sunnier in the southwest. So much so, that my family of transplants complain that it is TOO sunny and nice. Some people have a hard time with the cloud cover. It isn't like the Pacific NW, but it definiately isn't the SW.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:36 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,683,382 times
Why not move back? WI is nice.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:09 PM

461 posts, read 922,712 times
Okay and I want to move from WI to ABQ, lol. I just need to find a place of employment in ABQ. This thread is quite the thoroughfare.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:32 PM

10 posts, read 20,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben242000 View Post
Okay and I want to move from WI to ABQ, lol. I just need to find a place of employment in ABQ. This thread is quite the thoroughfare.
Hey ben242000, maybe we can swap jobs.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:03 PM

461 posts, read 922,712 times
Quote:
Hey ben242000, maybe we can swap jobs.
I'm in. You are now a Sr Claims Adjuster with Liberty Mutual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin