Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 07:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,355 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to De Pere for work in August. Can anyone suggest a good way to do some house hunting remotely?

We'll be moving from out-of-state and are hoping to find an agent who'll help us rent a nice house, preferably in the historic district. We're looking for something pre-WWII - vintage or restored is better than renovated, wood floors (no carpet), built-ins, craftsman-style, etc.

Green Bay and Appleton would also be an option. But, central location with proximity to cafes, markets, etc. a very good thing. We love to bike / walk whenever possible, when the weather allows.

So farm our searches on Craigslist have been pretty grim - lots of apartments and 50-70's suburban homes for students.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 08:21 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,865,038 times
I actually have a 1905-built house for sale near downtown Appleton. It's been updated over the years including an addition, but has retained the original hardwood floors and the woodwork on the main floor, and also a full wall of original built in cabinets in the bathroom. I know you said rent, but your mortgage payment would pretty much be the same as renting a decent house... About 8 blocks from downtown and within walking distance to 3-4 parks!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:28 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,914,047 times
Except, I don't think I would like the commute from Appleton to DePere. Not horrible, just not what I would like, especially when there are some nice parts of Green Bay and DePere. Unfortunately, OP, I'm more familar with Appleton. Hopefully someone more helpful will chime in. Good luck!

p.s. We have started using Zillow to give us an idea of different cities. Looking at the listings on a map format can help show you what different neighborhoods are like. Not a sure thing, but it has helped us narrow down cities and whether a city/neighborhood looks decent and affordable.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:08 PM

61 posts, read 110,490 times
There are SO many older cute character houses in the downtown East De Pere area! There are shops, restaurants, and a walking/biking trail right downtown along the Fox River. You can drive to Green Bay for any "big box" store needs.

I would take a weekend trip to visit and maybe live in a extended stay hotel for awhile until you can find what you are looking for. You will love the area though! De Pere has a huge sense of community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin