Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 08:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,633 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Looking to relocate no work here.
Can any one give me some direction as far as working conditions there.I been thru Wisconsin and liked it a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 08:48 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
sure, the fox valley is doing alright. check careerbuilder.com for whatever area you're interested in

Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 AM

374 posts, read 982,396 times
Primarily in the trades.
Skilled trades among hardest jobs to fill - JSOnline

Just be ready to deal with the high cost of living up here.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:56 PM

As long as this recall election goes the right way, job numbers are looking great for 2012!

Feds Confirm Gov. Walker's Job-Growth Numbers

Old 05-30-2012, 08:25 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,864,223 times
high cost of living?? compared to what?

Old 05-30-2012, 08:45 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
high cost of living?? compared to what?
I was wondering the same thing.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:58 PM

When I relocated up here from San Antonio, TX, my cost of living went up substantially.
I now had over $300 a month income tax contribution and more than $100 a month in additional property tax (for half the house). Cost of utilities were approx 40% higher averaged out over the year (6x as much in winter, about the same in the summer). Cost of groceries at least 20% higher depending on time of year. Cost of gas about 20% higher and much lower gas mileage (mainly due to being re-formulated here in SE WI, gas in Green Bay w/o ethanol was back at normal mpg).

I transferred here with the same company at the same wage. For all practical purposes, I took a huge pay cut and it hurt my family. I'd never do it again. Nothing in WI is worth what we gave up.

Old 05-31-2012, 06:49 AM

607 posts, read 977,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
When I relocated up here from San Antonio, TX, my cost of living went up substantially.
I now had over $300 a month income tax contribution and more than $100 a month in additional property tax (for half the house). Cost of utilities were approx 40% higher averaged out over the year (6x as much in winter, about the same in the summer). Cost of groceries at least 20% higher depending on time of year. Cost of gas about 20% higher and much lower gas mileage (mainly due to being re-formulated here in SE WI, gas in Green Bay w/o ethanol was back at normal mpg).

I transferred here with the same company at the same wage. For all practical purposes, I took a huge pay cut and it hurt my family. I'd never do it again. Nothing in WI is worth what we gave up.
You should have consulted with us before moving. We would have consulted you about the higher taxes here, the difference in having to pay income taxes, and the other hidden costs of living in Wisconsin compared to Texas.

Old 05-31-2012, 09:38 AM

361 posts, read 861,368 times
We live on the western side of the state there are no improvements in the job markets but there are some places hiring from time to time. If you are in the medical field you may find a job easier in this area.

hamjeeper, you seem to confirm what I found when looking at living in Texas. My wife may have a chance to move from WI to the Waco area with her company and it appeared to us that you get to keep a lot more of your own money which is a good thing.

Old 05-31-2012, 07:48 PM

I lived here in the 90s and knew some of what I was looking at. It hurt more than I thought, though. The sales tax is 3 to 4 pts cheaper here than TX but the lower TX property tax and no income are really big savings. I did this move for extended family on my better half's side, not to improve my situation. The majority of the family ended up not being worth the costs even for my wife.

Southcentral Texas is a good place to live if you're willing to accept some things. The hardest thing most cannot take is the heat. 2nd is the feast/famine when it comes to rain. Either you receive too much or none at all. It regularly swings from one extreme to the other. One thing is nice, there is a part of TX that fits just about anyone. I'm partial to West TX but some like the swamp/pine forests of SE TX.

Anyway, this was off-topic for the original OP. If the OP is moving from the east coast, west coast, or the big cities like Chicago, WI really is not an increase in cost of living. Different area of WI are cheaper to live in than others as well. You really have to narrow it down to a specific area and ask people in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
View detailed profiles of: