Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:28 AM

18 posts, read 66,054 times

Advertisements

I'm from California, and i might be moving to wisconsin. Im a pretty conservative guy. Im a registered Republican, I'm a christian who attends church weekly, and i have a traditional look at dating and other things. So would wisconsin be the right place for me? I'm not asking if everyone in Wisconsin is like this. Im just wondering what the general atmosphere is like over there. Do a lot of people go to church over there? Are most people republican? And even if you say its not that conservative, is it conservative compared to california?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 03:00 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Wisconsin is much like any state with a sharp urban/rural divide including California: liberal in major cities and big university towns, conservative out in the sticks, and somewhere in between in suburbia. The main difference is that the urban/rural divide is more balanced in Wisconsin than California.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:22 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
If you want conservative, stick to the western suburbs of Milw, Waukesha county area. That area is pretty conservative. Otherwise, its very mixed. Wisconsin still has a lot of union employees, even in rural areas, and they tend to be liberal. Yes, Wisconsin has lots of churches and church going people.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:35 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by esamer90 View Post
Are most people republican? And even if you say its not that conservative, is it conservative compared to california?
I think Wisconsin is evenly divided 51% D TO 49% R. The thing is that unions call Wisconsin groun zero, and the unions ARE dems and the dems ARE unions.

Conservatives in California haven't had a vote since 1980. While we have large conservative areas such as the central valley, parts of Orange and Riverside counties, the huge voting blocks in the city centers are filled with well entrenched liberals. Just about anywhere else is going to be more conservative than Cali, if only because their liberalism isn't the same as the insanely uber-radical progressive liberalism here.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 PM

374 posts, read 982,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I think Wisconsin is evenly divided 51% D TO 49% R.
Looks more like 55% R, 45% L. You betcha we're conservative!!!

Old 06-06-2012, 01:50 PM

160 posts, read 397,716 times
I drove from Fond du Lac to Madison to Waukesha this week.. the transition of almost entirely "Stand with Walker" to "Recall Walker" back to "Stand with Walker" signs was incredible.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:43 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,857,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjeepr View Post
Looks more like 55% R, 45% L. You betcha we're conservative!!!
As a native of WI and having lived there through some very dark days, Jim Doyle and Anthony Earl come to mind. I really hope you finally are a conservative state.

My fear is that center to left is the true calling of the place though.

Perhaps now that the Public Union back is busted and structurally the Democratic party just lost a huge amount of influence, it will be different moving forward. (One can hope anyway eh?).

I do hope this movement to destroy PUBLIC unions continues across this country.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:52 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,106,991 times
Wisconsin is a swing state, a 50/50 state give or take. I don't know why people think this is a bad thing, it's a constant debate nothing wrong with that. I would prefer a 100% conservative state but I don't mind turning democrats into republicans.

Old 06-09-2012, 08:46 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,282,765 times
Wisconsin has the perfect mixture of both which makes for a bit of gridlock which is a good thing. Combine that with it's inherit beauty, and the fact that every road in the state is paved, and I wish I still lived there as a road biker.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:11 PM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Wisconsin has the perfect mixture of both which makes for a bit of gridlock which is a good thing. Combine that with it's inherit beauty, and the fact that every road in the state is paved, and I wish I still lived there as a road biker.
Are you serious? Every single road, even farm and woods roads are paved? Having more gravel and dirt roads keep out all the city people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wisconsin